Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Bicocca Silicon Valley 2019

Tagged
140 replies, 13 voices Last updated by Serena 4 years, 11 months ago
  • Daniela Fiorellino
    Participant
    @danielafiorellino

Hi everyone!

I see that we all think the same about facial recognition: it is bad and dangerous for our security and I would like to add that to me it is also unnecessary. I’m going to explain myself: I don’t think that facial recognition would be useful to people in general, for our everyday life, I mean it is cool to unlock our phone only with our face or pay without cash but I don’t think these facts would improve our lives in a significant way. Business company and government are the only one that could actually have benefits, like all of you said, because in this way they can know what people like and what people want so they can earn money of that.

I’m also skeptical about security: of course it would be great to find out terrorist only by facial recognition, but I think it is a little more complicated than that. First of all to be able to recognize them we have to know that they are actually bad  people, there should be a lot of work done before and it is not an easy job (otherwise the problem would already be solved). On second hand I think that to recognized them the system has to be able to recognized everyone: there is the problem of privacy again. Now, we have to chose wheter to live in a world where we value privacy and it is guaranteed (even tho I think it is too late now, we already shared too much information, so to say in a better way whatever is left of privacy) or in a world where we are fully controlled and  maybe security is better (I don’t think it would be better tho).

What @serenavineis said about how much money those start up are valued is crazy: to me they are doing something not useful to people, so why are they doing it? Money is always the answer: they are making new ways to know and control people, of course company and government will value these activity.

I completely agree with @davidetoniolo: AmazonGo will not change our life, I mean ok, it is cool and we could save minutes but what else? To me it is not as important as it could be for Amazon. Thank you davide for telling us what is going on with those 3 bigs company, I didn’t know about it.

I want to leave you with this reflection and I would like to know what do you think about it: I don’t think every innovation is useful and good for society in general, like in this case. My question is: it is worth creating something new (or innovating something) knowing that it is no good to people, just to make money? To me, something innovative has to brings benefits to society, not just to companies but to people too, that means I choose good over money. We need more sense of responsibility.

Have a nice day,

Daniela Fiorellino.

Gianluca
    Participant
    @gianlucabelloni

Hello everybody,

Thank you @valentina for the Sole 24 ore dossier about Facebook and the Cambridge Analytica scandal that you shared. It’s really interesting and goes really in-depth, so i still have to read it all, but i’m working on it.

Also thank you @davidetoniolo to have brought to the attention the contacts that had been place between US agencies and Google, Microsoft and Amazon. I didn’t knew of them and they make me think that my concerns about collaboration of this type were valid. I can only hope that someone can stop Amazon before they really give in license their technology. As the article says we can’t use the “first break it, then fix it” approach. We need specific regulation before the implementation of such technology.

Regarding the problem of fake news sharing on Whatsapp, today we have some good news. Indeed facebook can’t know what we share because the chat is encrypted, as Davide said, but now they are starting to limit the number of people with which a message can be shared. Before this number was 20 and now it will be 5. It could be seen as a sort of censorship, but with the use of groups you can still share a message to 1’280 people at one time, and i think it’s reasonable. This way the speed with which fake news can spread is surely slower. It’s all explained in this article.

Speaking of use of facial recognition that are already developed, in addition to AmazonGo, Facebook has already implemented a soft type of facial recognition on photos, like @serenavineis has rightly pointed out. Indeed, i started to search on facebook’s settings and i discovered that we can (fortunately) decide to turn it on or off. I don’t know what is the default setting but you can check if it is on for you at this link. I hope it can be useful

@danielafiorellino
    as Elon Musk said in the interview with Joe Rogan we can loose control of AI and we need to be really cautious with it. But no one seems to listen to him. Probably because AI is seen as the “next big thing” and there’re a lot of economical interest behind that. Several companies and people just follow money, without thinking of the consequences of their action. For this reason i can only hope that we will stop the creation of AI for some times and think on how to develop it to bring only benefits for the society, but I am not sure at all that it will happen.

@lorenzodaidone
    i saw your video and i’ve found your idea really clever! Thanks for the sharing, it can also be really useful for whoever will be selected this year.

I’m looking forward for your replies,
    have a good day,

Gianluca

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

Hi everybody, happy to hear from you again!

First of all thanks to @lorenzodaidone for sharing his beautiful experience with crowfounding.

I’ll try to sum up all my considerations having to do with all the previous posts!

@serenavineis, your connection with “the replacement of human newsreaders in China” is incredible, it seems to me that the strangest innovations are made by chinese people, in all the fields!

According to what we were saying about Amazon Go, this is surely a move that leads Amazon to a next level of knowledge of its customers and as @davidetoniolo pointed out, these data will be a great gift from us to Amazon! I hope that the letters that 85 associations have sent to Amazon, Microsoft and Google would not be a drop in the ocean but a measure that the interlocutors can pay attention to. Also @danielafiorellino and @gianlucabelloni gave this “negative” outlook on Amazon Go and on the problem of losing privacy in order to let companies that are using AI make money without considering the consequences on our democracy and our freedom.

I completely agree on the fact that AI, as Elon Musk said in the interview, is a slippery theme that we need to stay aware of. But on the other hand I do not always think that beyond every innovation there’s a profit that implies heavy consequences. It is obvious that in a world that is dominated by market economy there’s always who wins and who loses, this is also the basis of the trade of stocks and a lots of other sectors. By saying that I do not underestimate the power that have big companies to act properly in order to be winners but not by dropping the losses upon the citizens. If a organized law is made there won’t be too many problems, but AI is at the beginning, and so the strongest parts (big companies) are taking advantage of the lack of regulations.

And last but not least I would like to make a connection with the spark that @valentina gave some posts above about George Orwell’s milestone “1984” and partly with @gianlucabelloni’s position on the fact that companies give us personalized AD and customized offers also thanks to everything we share on the social networks.

Firstly I found out a recent research headed by James P. Bagrow, Xipei Liu & Lewis Mitchell explaining that even if a person does not have any social account, his/her identity and actions can be predicted from their friend’s posts and writings online. It’s incredible that for example my mother who does not have access to Facebook could have problems with privacy because her family members and her colleagues and friends have Facebook! So here it is this big problem: how can we hide from this phenomenon? It is possible or not? Maybe not, because social networs’ users are growing and growing.. What do you think about it?

But maybe a part of the answer is here in this article written by Umberto Eco (it is a little dated, 2014, but it is now more than ever present) talking about “la privatezza” (it’s a bit funny translated in italian). What he says is that in a world where everyone seems to claim his/her privacy in order to be not under the Big Brother’s eye (as 1984 tell us) the real fact is that maybe none really cares about it because in the deep everyone wants to be in the spotlight.

I believe that it is a provocation,<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”> but not at all</span>….

Hope to listen to your thoughts about these subjects.

Francesca Tomasello

Davide
    Participant
    @davidetoniolo

Hello everyone,

@gianlucabelloni
    I hadn’t heard of Facebook’s soft facial recognition, luckily I had it disabled by default.

I agree with @danielafiorellino that the fundamental problem is the “break it and then fix it” approach with which much of technology we use today has been created. But also we as consumers can have a big impact on the privacy problem. Today the mass market would prefer a cheaper, albeit with zero privacy over a more expensive, but privacy centered device. For example, the only major tech company that’s been putting privacy high on the core values list is Apple, while Android in the smartphone market, and Windows 10 in the consumer computers have as a fundamental revenue source the users’ private data.

Choosing to sacrifice privacy for economic and practical advantages is a choice as valid as its opposite, provided that the decision is an informed one. The majority of the users, through, have no idea of which and how many private information they’re providing to third parties. I believe that if someone took the time to read the list of the private data that is collected by Google or Facebook they would very likely reconsider their position on the matter. The problem is that this info is always carefully hid and data collection happens behind the curtains, where the user doesn’t get the feel of how big the data stream is. Right now privacy is only an issue for geeks, hackers and tech enthusiast.

P.S. I don’t mean to praise Apple, their choice about privacy is simply a business decision based on the fact that their revenue comes from other sources. I intended only to state the fact that they are, as of today, the only mass market option for having privacy at least at the OS level.

P.P.S. I don’t want to steal the job to the moderators and the organizers, but once this forum experience is over we could meet for a aperitivo, regardless of whatever one is admitted to the SVST or not. I’m looking forward to meet your in person, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. What do you think?

Jessica Amianto Barbato
    Participant
    @jessinthebox96

Hi everyone,

“Improving lives”, that’s the first line you can hear in the video about facial recognition systems in China. Honestly, I can’t really see how that kind of application of such a technology could be considered an improvement. To me verifying people’s identity through CCTV does not sound like “safety” at all; instead it feels as if the government was trying to suppress both thought and self-expression in order to maintain a totalitarian regime, which is clearly why we are all complaining about the potentially dangerous effect of FR systems spreading throughout Europe and America. You can also hear the narrator say that if you’ve done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear, but I’m always treasuring the idea that there could be no progress without some kind of protest, which is what the Chinese government would mark as “wrong”.
    Privacy lies on the other side of the matter, with citizen being profiled without explicit permission; personally, I would never tolerate anything like that! The government vouching for a supposed safer country is not something I would trade my private life for.

@francescatomasello
    and @davidetoniolo mentioned Amazon dealing with facial recognition systems for Amazon Go; strolling through the news, I read that Amazon’s own facial recognition system, Rekognition, has been blamed for not being accurate in identifying females and darker-skinned people, resulting in poor performances when analyzing faces and expressions. A group of MIT researchers suggested that the company should improve their algorithms and remove any bias before selling it to police departments (now, imagine the Chinese government’s systems making the same mistakes as Rekognition’s, wouldn’t that be a complete disaster?). In fact, though the biased analysis might only affect image comparison, for example, when a user is making researches online, Amazon claims that Rekognition could also serve as a tool to improve public safety, which, considering its flaws, would be awful. Note that the Chinese idea of turning a country into a safer place through face identification systems is not that far from the western culture …

As for the privacy issue, I’d like to share with you an article I read on Esquire; Kate O’Neill, an expert in data-driven technologies, tweeted about the 10-years-challenge craze over the last two weeks wondering whether people posting pictures of themselves in the past could help “train facial recognitioon algorithms on age progression and age recognition”. It might easily be mere paranoia, but if things went that way, we should all be aware of what posting pictures on social networks could actually mean. If facial recognition systems worry us, for they might be used for the wrong reasons, then we should start acknowledging that we might be unwillingly giving away crucial data for facial recognition systems to train on. Given that what the Chinese government is doing is clearly an unjustifiable invasion of privacy, I’d like to hear your opinion on what O’Neill claimed on Twitter.

With all the negative talking about facial recognition systems, I was bound to find a valid application of this technology without most of the side effects that we have expressed so far (or at least a usage that could make the invasion of privacy more tolerable). I read about facial recognition being used in hospitals to both classify a patient’s level of pain in order to manage chronic pain and medication dosage, and retrieve precious life-saving information about the clinical history of unconcious patients in the emergency room. Researches from Cambridge University claim that this technology could aid injured victim identification after large-scale disasters. Moreover the US National Human Genome Research Insitute has been training facial recognition technologies to diagnose rare diseases. A software called DeepGestalt has been praised for its accuracy in identifying facial characteristics linked to genetic disorders. These are only a couple pf examples of fair usage of facial recognition systems and I think we all would be glad if those technologies could meet a widespread application in everyday life.

Last but not least, I’d like to give a shoutout to the Imaging and Vision project that’s being developed in the DISCo department in Bicocca. Most of their work if focused on improving face, image and object recognition in different field of studies; you should definitely give it a go if you’re interested in understanding the potential of this technology.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,
    have a nice weekend!

Jessica

Giuseppe Vitale
    Participant
    @peppuz

Hello everybody, I’m Giuseppe, I’m attending to the 3rd year of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science here in Bicocca, I got many passions, from sailing, to taekwondo, to music, to my only love, technology.
    I’m an actual full-stack developer, bifurcating my time between studying and coding on new projects.

I’m really excited to be here talking with you all even if I’m so late joining the convo. The topic is so hot right now, and AI has been finally defrosted in the last decade.
    Replying to last Francesca’s message, I really really wished (lol) but AI does not make perfect decisions, it predicts statistically the most efficient solutions based on a precision percentage and I would like to help you understanding more how its gears work together. Here, this is an easy step-by-step explanation of how a Neural Network works taking as example OCR (Optical Character Recognition) working for digits only. I hope it will give you a more in-depth knowledge and abstract understanding about how Artificial Intelligence really works, at least in terms of logic concepts.

In my opinion, yes we will, as humans, give the opportunity to robots to know emotions, giving and receiving emotions from other humans or robots but AI cannot understand context yet and so outputs are always decontextualized. What I mean by that is: (in general) in order to make a decision a human doesn’t just say yes or no, he recognize the envoironment, plan if this decision will have bad or good consequences, think if it is worth doing, all these kind of things happen in zero time in our mind, but an “Intelligent System” cannot make this kind of calculation for many specific reasons that can go from the absurd amount of computational power needed (a relative problem, ’cause it will grow exponentially in time), to the Frame problem, to the Symbol grounding problem .

What i really hope is that tech-companies will never sell their AI services for bad causes, like Cambridge Analytica helping Trump getting to the throne. What do you guys think about that scandal?

Waiting for your answers, y’all have a nice day.
    Giuseppe.

Giuseppe Vitale
    Participant
    @peppuz

Sorry for double posting
    I didn’t know yet that replies can’t be edited.

Continuing about politics and replying to @gianlucabelloni I don’t think centralizing power to monitor miss-uses of technology to an organization is a really brillant idea, i would say distopian. Think how easily can it be corrupted, or how difficult can be to be on the same level with countries from different cultures.

I totally loved @davidetoniolo ‘s last post. Really true story, economic interests seem to be on a higher priority than Privacy Policies that users don’t even get to see when starting using any kind of service, so it’s incredibly easy to get consent and all informations that you want if you are a business, this because the average user wants to have the service as soon as he can, so lets go on and accept those annoying modals that pop on my screen. Jokes aside, I started caring about my privacy two years ago, simply by drastically reducing the usage of Google services, I stopped using G’s search engine, in favour of DuckDuckGo, I bought a private domain and swapped as main email from Gmail. I started getting apart from Google ecosystem, (exception for YouTube) I know for sure that I can’t be totally off of it, also because 85% of websites that i go to (even this one) has a G’s tracker in it, so combining my IP with who accessed last time by that IP, and device type, and screen size, and Operative System mounted, make it really easy to fingerprint non-identified users even off the G monopoly.

Nice shout out @jessinthebox96 for Imaging and Vision, headed by Prof. Raimondo Schettini, they are releasing such high quality papers on Computer Vision and I admire their fantastic work, it’s so inspiring. I found genius at the same time the weird viral challenge (pushed by also Zuckerberg) that was going around last few days, the #10yearschallenge. I totally agree with O’Neill tweet and I think that this was the perfect excuse for making it the easiest way (simply scraping for images in the hashtag section) and make a really large dataset to train and reinforce machine learning algorithms for facial recognition over the aging problem. But how elegant was that? Should we call it social engineering?

Marco Pastore
    Participant
    @marcopastore

Hi everyone. I am reading really high quality comments here!
    Thank you @peppuz for joining the discussion.
    As you have seen, this topic open up hundreds of problems (moral, technical, legal  and economic) but also hundreds of innovation and each of us has his personal point of view.
    I think that discussion is the best way to enlarge our vision about such complicated arguments and help us to elaborate a more complete thought about the topic.

In general, I agree with @danielafiorellino; sometimes innovations don’t bring so much value on people’s lives, and precisely that value should be the central point for the development of our society; but we know that companies’ central point is profit and survive to competition so sometimes the market produce innovations that can seem (and probably are) useless. However I believe that facial recognition can have so broad applications that for sure it will change drastically our society.
    Personally, I find Amazon-Go-style shopping a fantastic innovation because I feel the queue at the checkout really frustrating.

Instead at the moment I am thinking about the application of this technology on trains. I am a commuter and everyday I take the train from my town to Milan. The service is really bad; wagons are extremely old and so dirt and breakdowns are everyday reality. For this situation a lot of people decide not to pay the ticket but in doing so the situation can only go worse.
    Try to imagine if people who have an active subsriction or ticket on their Trenitalia account are automatically verified by the cameras on the train. Instead, the position of people that are probably not paying is instantly reported to the train conductor.
    No way to get in the train without paying.
    What do you think about this idea? Silly or maybe useful?

N.B. @davidetoniolo, The forum will close at the end of march (25th precisely).
    The evaluation is based on the activity on the forum (reactivity to new arguments introduced, quality of comments, number of comments, knowledge of the topic and problems involved, interesting resources added to the discussion, new points of view introduced..) but also on you CV that you will send us in the last week of selection.

Bye!

Marco Pastore

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Marco Pastore.
    Davide
    Participant
    @davidetoniolo

Thank you @marcopastore, I had forgot that part, and welcome to @peppuz. It’s nice to have an IT and AI expert added in this forum.

I’d never thought about the 10yearschallenge in this way, but you’re right, if it was social engineering that was wonderfully thought out. As for Google, I find that Youtube and Android are their most difficult to renounce to services.

As for the Trenitalia issue brought out by @marcopastore, I don’t really see them implementing such a technology ever. In 2019, they’ve still troubles making a simple NFC reader work, and can’t get a train delivered in time. I follow a Youtube travel channel (still G, ah!) that once made a series on Sri Lanka. Their trains are literally better kept than ours. Aside from the Alta Velocità, the Italian train system is at the level of a third word country. Until the public opinion gets more concerned with public transport and we begin to make investments in the train system, I have little hope of seeing Trenitalia work.

In the midst of all this (justified) pessimism on AI, I’d like to show you a positive application: a company named Zipline used AI to develop a fleet of autonomous flying drones, that they use do deliver urgent medicals with short shelf life in areas difficult to reach by traditional ground travel. They’ve applied the system with huge success in Rwanda since 2016, but I believe that this is only an initial playground. Here‘s the video.

What I like about their system is that AI is just an element in the engineering challenge, as for example the way they have assembled the planes, or how they solved the take off and landing problem are just as amazing as the autonomous mini-planes.

Cheers,
    Davide Toniolo

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

Goodmoring everyone and welcome to @peppuz.

I saw your video about OCR and It was really easy to understand, it gave me a little view on how Ai works! You also mention a lot of themes connecting to the problem of an Intelligent System to act like a human in terms of evaluating risks of environments or simply thinking about what could be the best decision (always watching the problem with emotions). Due to this, it seems that nowadays or in the near future, AI is not going to loom over humanity, but who knows. One of the first steps to hide our data is using other search engine instead of Google, but the majority of people is not so expert in this theme and apart from this, the discussion about AI and privacy is not so examined in depth by Media, and so, only few people study this problem very deeply.

As shared by @jessinthebox96, Kate O’Neill is surely right to doubt the #10yearschallenge. And as the journalist write in the article, and I think is the heart of the problem, people is not often AWARE of the consequences of his/her photos or videos or data shared. Personally I did not share my #10yearschallenge, but on my Instagram homepage and stories, maybe 70% or more of my “following” shared this challenge… Did they know the possible consequences? I found a book written by Zamperini “Manuale di disobbedienza digitale” that give us advices to face the requests of social networks. It seems really concrete and also funny to read. In the end, there are a lot of positive implementations of AI, specifically with facial recognition, as you shared above, but there are negative too. And so we return at the starting point: are we agreeable to give up our privacy in favour of medicine or security?

Even if @marcopastore is suggesting the idea of using facial recognition on trains, I agree with @davidetoniolo. The only trains that work efficiently in Italy are Frecciarossa and Italo but referring to local trains, it is a shame. However, ideally this solution is really worthy, as Amazon Go (forgetting for a moment all the problems we mention above about privacy), because it could improve the security on trains but also people would be forced to pay ticket. This will lead to more and more financial resouces to train companies that results in better services. Hope that Gianluigi Castelli, head of Ferrovie dello Stato, will turn around to innovation in general and AI, since he is deep expert on IT. A great app is Nugo, were the users only indicate the origin and the destination address and the app chooses the itinerary among all possible solutions and combinations of means of transport and fares. At the end the users can buy all the tickets (metro, train, bus, car sharing..) This app is not so widespread but I think that it’s a beginning in order to use all transports, with more integration and more efficiency.

In 2013 one of the first metros without driver was set up for the line 5 in Milan (there were also in Turin). In this direction we see that the future of driving is without driver. Not only metros but also cars: there are especially two companies (old start ups): Argo and Waymo. Their missions are similar: they both assert that security will be assured in driving, preventing errors and accident caused by distractions.

In order to conclude, as you can see from this figure, the Hype Cycle of Gartner (it describes the fundamental phases of life of a new technology), Artificial Intelligence is one of the mega-trends among the emerging technologies because the impact on industries can be enormous. In 10 years the world will need lots of experts and specialist who know how to work with AI, machine learning and so on. For the 5 emerging technology trends, you can read this article.

Have a nice day,

Francesca Tomasello

Daniela Fiorellino
    Participant
    @danielafiorellino

Hi! How are exams going guys?

I want to tell you something: I was at the airport the other day, in line to get on the plane (the part after the security’s control when the air company checks your ticket and your passaport/ID) and weirdly I found myself thinking of our conversation here. We were standing in line for like 40-50 minutes (I’m not joking, it was sooo long) waiting for security to check our ticket and ID, so I thought: what if there was something to speed up this process? Facial recognition came to my mind, but I have to support my opinions: it would lead to such an invasion of privacy. When I land I had to do another long and slow line to have passaports/ID check at the border; when it was finally my turn, I noticed something I had never noticed or had never given importance before: when they check your ID they put your credential on their computer, checking you in the system. I’m not saying it isn’t important, it is for sure, I agree, but what I realize is that we are already registered in the system for security reasons, so our privacy is already gone. When you go to the States for example they take your fingerprint and scan your eye (I don’t know how to say properly) and this could be consider as a beginning of a facial recognition system, could it? What do you think?

So I thought AI could be helpful in this way: build some sort of “tornelli” (like those in the M5) where you scan your ticket and your ID/passaport (milano’s subway style) and maybe your fingerprint too ( I mean at the end it is the same thing as if they scan your face) or something that proves that it is actually you.  They already invade our privacy for security reasons, at this point it is better and more useful to speed up the process. People will always do their job at the airport, checking if everything is ok with the system and travelers would be more satisfied and less tired.

I don’t know if it is something actually good or something that can actually be done, otherwise they would probably already done, right?

Regarding the trains issue, I think every person in Italy has had problems with Trenitalia at least once in their life ( I had so many problems guys, crazy stories). What @davidetoniolo said about our trains and Sri Lanka’s it is crazy, but if we want to talk about Trenitalia’s service they have a lot to improve, especially regarding short travels’s train, like “regionali” as Trenord, because for long travels trains are quite good and the system (almost) work, it is difficult to go on these trains without tickets. Trying to get on a “regionale” at peak times is a challenge: sometimes there are so many people that it is so hard to check everyone’s ticket and for this reason I don’t think cameras could be helpful. Maybe a good idea would be to use some kind of recognition that activates automatically when someone gets on the train (I’m thinking as I am writing, so that could be a very stupid idea) and this recognition could be linked to our phone for examples (nobody nowadays leaves his house without his phone). The mechanism ensures that the phone that just got on the train, connected to the person, has purchased the ticket: nothing happens if the person has bought the ticket, if not, the cost of the ticket is directly deducted from his account. In this way we are sure that everyone will pay the ticket. I know it is not a perfect plan, because to do this trenitalia would have to have access to everyone account, even tho it could be created a special account for each person just to buy tickets or do anything related to trains. It would be a whole new way to use the train’s system and maybe it will not invade our privacy in a big way because they don’t have to know who are you as a person, it is only necessary to know that the account is on the train. It could be good for everyone and It could bring benefits to Trenitalia and to all of us. ( how many times did I wrote the word “train”?)

@davidetoniolo
    I’ ve already know something about Zipline, it makes me believe in humanity: something good and really usefull, i love it!

Thank you @francescatomasello for that article and that image, i love some good graphs! I’m going to read them all, they seems so interesting.

Let me know what you think guys, maybe they are just some stupid ideas or maybe they are billion dollars ideas ( I wish ahah).

Have a beautiful day,

Daniela Fiorellino.

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

@danielafiorellino how many inspiring ideas have come to your mind!

Regarding the first part about check-in at the airport, I completely agree with you. If there’s obviously a lack of privacy even now, with endless queues and endless waits, it’s better to start doing check-ins with our fingerprint/face after having passed “tornelli”. In fact I found out that in the US are thinking about replacing boarding pass with facial recognition. In reality Atlanta’s Hartsfield Jackson International Airport and Delta Air Lines have opened the first terminal in which is used facial recognition (optionally, it’s not compulsory) instead of boarding pass and fingerprint. Here’s the CNN’s article that explains very deeply how it works. Not only in US but also in Amsterdam, Singapore and Aruba, this system has already been implemented (here’s the link, it’s very interesting how it works). These are examples of a technology that will be surely developed fully all over the world.

Talking about trains, your idea is good but as you said, there will be surely complications to connect 24h/24 your phone/your banking account to the train company in order to deduct money if you get in the train. Trenord has already implemented his App where you can buy tickets (but has not solved the problem of people who get in the train and don’t have ticket or don’t want to use the app). I think that the most useful thing to do nowadays it will be to place a sort of barrier (tornello 🙂 ) at every door inside the train. In this way people is obliged to have a ticket (paper or digital) in order to go in. I saw this method in Amsterdam, where all trams where equipped with this barriers. I can assure you that every person had a ticket!

Unfortunately, our trains as @davidetoniolo was saying before, are prone to be compared to trains of the third world countries… So, in conclusion, my opinion is that facial recognition used on Italy’s trains is impossibile to implement these days.

Cheers,

Francesca Tomasello

Serena
    Participant
    @serenavineis

Good evening guys and welcome to @peppuz. Hope you all are doing great!

Many interesting inputs you have pointed out.

First of all I totally agree with @marcopastore and @davidetoniolo about using AI on trains. Unfortunately, like many of you, I have to deal with Trenord and Trenitalia many times during the week and I travelled in very bad conditions sometimes. A constantly thought was about the people who never pay the ticket and most of them take advantage really often. So the idea to use FR to improve this service would be very interesting and useful but in the other hand I think they can’t even keep clean trains..imagine to see these two firms doing investment in the technology field. Unfortunately they are not ready to do the big jump and to think a new good strategy to make a really good service.

@danielafiorellino
    I think it is a really good idea! Like you said airlines companies already have a lot of digital info about us. I believe that in few years they will spread out the FR, they are just waiting the good time to implement it. A lot of time would be saved and a safer service would be put on.

But in general  I still have fears about our privacy, I mean giving away parts of our body, like the fingerprint and the eye, maybe it could be risky because third parties can use them like they want and we are unable to stop them and defense ourself until an appropriate law will not be emaneted. It is really necessary to take serious mesaures as soon as possible to integrate these fascinating innovations and at the same time guarantee a safe system-safe life.

Going ahead, I was reading an article about the mix usage of FR combine to the AI motion detection. How crazy it is?! It was implemented by the University of Science and Technology of China (China, again! ahah) and the system recognignized 63% of the emotions proposed.

Referring to AI motion detection, the Columbia University has experimented the first system who can tranlated thoughts to words using AI. Algorhytms are again the main protagonists; they have created an algorithm able to dialogue with the stimuli of the human brain. For now it’s supposed to be used on who suffers of epilessy and can’t talk anymore. This is a great revolution for the healthcare field and maybe, one day, for the fight against crime; for sure this system it can help in many ways..I hope it will not be used for economics-political purposes. We need to be aware of this powerful revolution.

About the topic of driverless cars introduced by @francescatomasello, I found a little ethical reasearch who talks about a hypothesis: who to save if a fatal driverless car crash is unavoidable?

Actually it’s an important issue, AI is programmed by one or more humans and how can they decide to keep alive in a car crash? Which are the criteria to make a choice? For sure using a normal car this type of problem would not exist or better would be the destiny to decide.

Let me know what you think!

Hope to hearing you from soon,

Serena

Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi guys,

in these days I have been very busy with the exams at the university.

Start to greet @peppuz which is a new entry. Welcome!

@davidetoniolo
    you’re right about AmazonGo, but in my opinion, people in big cities are trying to save a minute of their time and to concentrate on the activities they like, in fact the wellness business in recent times is creating many new job opportunities, people want to enjoy after spending the whole day at work.

Work, as expected by many analysts, will change in the next twenty years and even now we see new professional figures that when I was young didn’t exist.

Interesting in this regard this article:

https://www.giannellachannel.info/lavori-del-futuro-per-chi-ha-figli-che-avranno-20-anni-nel-2030/

Maybe we do not even need cashiers in the supermarkets; close to my house there is a ipercoop that already has some cashiers without an attendant and it’s all “do it yourself”.

@davidetoniolo
    I completely agree with you when you write about the advantages in using the AI for fighting terrorism, reading your comment came to my mind a movie by Steven Spielberg: “Minority Report”.

I invite everyone to see it.

Three months before starting filming, director Steven Spielberg called a group of futurologists to imagine a credible 2054 for him. Among them, there were experts from MIT, the defense biomedical research department, software and virtual reality. Subsequently, MIT researchers in the field of big data and machine learning have designed an algorithm that makes possible in reality some aspects of the scenarios narrated in Minority Report.

In short, nothing left to chance by Steven Spielberg.

I really liked @danielafiorellino’s speech on ethics, but I believe that artificial intelligence will be our future whether we like it or not. At this point, I must look, and I write as a jurist, try to assess the legal assets to be protected and create ad hoc rules, to make a speech on the contrary would lead to serious risks of abuse.

@gianlucabelloni
    I would like to thank you for the explanation on the sharing of news that now happens with Whatsapp. A few days ago, when I could no longer share some messages with more than five contacts, I asked myself: “How comes? What’s going on?” @gianlucabelloni you have been enlightened. Now how can I share a nice message with my friends without waiting ten minutes to send the same message to everyone? ahahahah!

Yours sincerely,

Valentina Suffia

Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Seconda parte:
    Hi everyone,
    I continued to read your comments and @francescatomasello’s one caught my attention especially when she says that his mother could see his privacy not affected because she was not part of social networks like facebook, Instagram or twitter is true. For example, her mom at a colleague’s birthday party could take a photo that could be put online. In this regard, we must remember that we have the right of safeguarding our image art.10 cc. and in this case it can not even be noted that it is a public figure as it predisposes the art. 97 L. 633 / ’41, then would be entitled to compensation for damage under Article 2043 cc.

@franscescatomasello could you please send me the e-mail address vsuffia@gmail.com umberto Eco’s article when he speaks of “privacy”? I can not view the page. Thank you.

@davidetoniolo
    is true what you write on Android in fact, the system used for Huawei devices led to the scandal we know:

@davidetoniolo
    for me is good for the happy hour, I would love to meet you. 🙂

Regarding what he wrote @ jessinthebox96 I read the article you reported, I find it very bad that Amazon and its real time recognition system is also sold to the Oregon police departments. He made me laugh when he talks about “age progression” and “age recognition”, methods to try to educate machines to recognize how age marks and modifies our faces, and to recognize age from faces. Remember everyone when we meet that I am 22 and not 36. hahahaha! 🙂

@ jessinthebox96 when you write about the help provided to the new technology in healthcare sector I completely agree. I work in Healthcare and the developments are perceptible. Very high-tech machinery is often used in the operating room and you can not go back.

@jessinthebox sometimes we go together to see the project you’re talking about? I mean Imaging and Vision, among lawyers we do not talk about this, but I believe that if you can wring the eye on new technology even lawyers could discover new areas of intervention and business.

@peppuz
    your description is clear, since you are an IT expert can I ask you what you think of this?

https://www.ilmessaggero.it/tecnologia/hitech/robot_parlano_fra_loro_lingua_sconosciuta_esperimento_facebook-2595389.html

I had read it last year and found it disturbing. Obviously the evaluation of this article is open to everyone.

Thanks for your attention.

Valentina Suffia

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘Bicocca Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.