Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Bicocca Silicon Valley 2019

Tagged
140 replies, 13 voices Last updated by Serena 4 years, 11 months ago
  • Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi everyone,

in these days I have been busy with exams at university. I hope you are all well.

I read some nice comments, I would start with @serenavineis: I like to consider that FR could also be useful in terms of marketing, advertising campaigns created to precisely target audience thanks to the robots. We can call Kotler and ask him to publish a new chapter in his “marketing management”. 😉

@gianlucabelloni
    indeed Instagram, FB and Whatsapp joining together should be well-evaluated in terms of privacy.

@davidetoniolo
    I like when you write about “critical thinking”, I also think that you need to know how to evaluate reality. Critical thinking does not mean ability to be against a priori, but it is a thought characterized by the mental processes of discernment, analysis, and evaluation. From Wikipedia: “critical thinking draws information from observation, experience, reasoning or communication. Critical thinking is based on the attempt to go beyond the partiality of the individual subject: its fundamental values are clarity, accuracy, precision and evidence.

How can we combine this need with functional illiteracy?

La classifica dei Paesi con piĂš analfabeti funzionali: il triste primato dell’Italia

@francescatomasello
    how nice you were there to see Joy! Obviously the sociologist has explained well before the film that to start a new business, being “tangible or intangible”, you have to have three requirements:

Share capital, economic-financial capital and cultural capital.

Thanks Francesca to have shared the days to go to MIT, it will be interesting to participate in the digital week in Milan scheduled from 13 to 17 March.

https://www.milanodigitalweek.com/

@peppuz
    @francescatomasello on the question of road accidents I am reminded of all the illicit and non-contractual matter sanctioned by Article 2043 cc onwards, this will have to be re-evaluated in the light of AI. There is a great job to do in case you will be using self-driving cars.

@peppuz
    I would also join this evening on telegram for an happy hour.

Cheers,

Valentina Suffia

Davide
    Participant
    @davidetoniolo

Good morning everyone,

@peppuz
    , thank you for the very interesting article on FR. This semester I’m enrolling in a Machine Learning course, and Data Science in general is fundamental in my field, so the website you linked is gold for me, I hadn’t heard about it before! Also the website you linked that generates artificial human faces is huuuuge. I’d never thought that something like this could be possible, I’m half amazed, half scared. I think that the AI needs more refinement before it is perfect, sometimes it generates demoniac creatures 😂:

@valentina
    we can open a really big debate here on functional illiteracy. The article you share is really interesting and has forced me to change my opinion. I’d always liked to think that functional illiteracy is really a set-in-stone-trait: some people are smart, some people are stupid; but this is really an oversimplification. First of all, many forms of intelligence exist, and I really have to admit that it’s far more realistic that its the daily cognitive effort of studying, problem solving and understanding other people’s views that creates the skill of “critical thinking”.

A thing that I really can’t stand about functional illiterate people is the strength with which they uphold their opinions. The game here its really a DunningKruger effect, but the problem is the combination of high democratic social exposure via the social media, and the fact that, humanly, we perceive as correct the person that’s most confident in him/herself and his/her opinion, giving far lower credit to his/her titles and past experience.

Especially for functional illiterates, I think that society as a whole needs a widespread political debate app. I mean one in which news are properly rated as true or fake, numbers, percentages and figures are objective and people with more declared competence have more visibility. Also, counterintuitive and long term should be immediately explained, to push people to go through the first impression. In this way it should be harder to manipulate people by saying what they want to hear and we all should be safer from populism and short-tightness. What do you think?

To show you how widespread the Dunning-Kruger effect is, here’s quote from the Forbes article I linked above:
    “And it’s not just college kids; you can find examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect everywhere. One study of high-tech firms discovered that 32-42% of software engineers rated their skills as being in the top 5% of their companies. A nationwide survey found that 21% of Americans believe that it’s ‘very likely’ or ‘fairly likely’ that they’ll become millionaires within the next 10 years. Drivers consistently rate themselves above average. Medical technicians overestimate their knowledge in real-world lab procedures. In a classic study of faculty at the University of Nebraska, 68% rated themselves in the top 25% for teaching ability, and more than 90% rated themselves above average (which I’m sure you’ll notice is mathematically impossible).”

Still I’m confident that I’m in the top 25% skilled drivers 😏, cheers!
    Davide

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Davide.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Davide.
    Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi guys,

I’m trying to make some considerations based on what I’m reading.

@ jessinthebox96 I like your article on the evaluation of the test and on the polarization and the information on Instagram that sees us involved based on the topics we speak about Whatsapp. Thank you, from today I will take care of it.

I also take this opportunity to thank everyone because with this forum I’m learning a lot.

@davidetoniolo
    I also think that, for so much advanced technology, it will always have loopholes and blindnesses.

@francescatomasello
    thanks again for the advice on Bit, I had already thanked you in the last article, but reflecting everyone here we are interested in going to Silicon Valley :-)))

@francescatomasello
    @peppuz I have always used Telegram to spend with colleagues the recordings of lessons in university, now also happy hour 😉

@ jessinthebox96 I liked to read your post again on Moral Machine, I think we need different points of view, both technicians and people with other skills, and maybe we can make a fair balance of interests to get better solutions for everything . I think this forum is also for this, I love the lateral thinking and also at the guide we have to make the foreseeable unforeseen and this as an ex ante strategy. In this regard, insurances who knows how they will move, how the national parliaments will legislate, how we think about road accidents, how they will make us pay RC.

Tell me what you think. Will we have to make sure for everything? people, bikes etc. included.

How much will we pay for these insurances? based on gender, skin color, age.

Goodbye art. 3 Cost! can the principle of equality be revised?

@gianlucabelloni
    and open to all, I think that if MZ is successful in this enterprise of union we should ask ourselves if the situation of monopolist is actually acceptable. The antitrust will intervene, right?

Maybe after the Telegram @peppuz group we can create a business, maybe app or similar among the members of this forum group. I tell you, then think about it …

Cheers,

Valentina

Serena
    Participant
    @serenavineis

Good afternoon guys! Sorry for my absence but I’m going to have the last exam of the season this week.

I have read a lot of interesting and technical comments here, I want to thank you all!

So here we go:

@francescatomasello
    The YAGMU start up is really had a innovative idea! And about the Intesa San Paolo plan, as @davidetoniolo said, it’s nice to see this kind of commitment in tourism. Here in Italy we have one of the most enormous historical heritages in the world, but unfortunately there isn’t a good management and really often are missing the economic funds to do restorations and to implement new innovated systems. As Francesca said, it’s fundomental bet on new ways of marketing because if we want more young people as tourists, Social networks are the answer for a great communication and engagement.

@danielafiorellino
    Great videos! I liked the comparison between biology and future technology. I agree with @francescatomasello, we need time to accept a new lifestyle; a driverless car will completly change our lives and will not so easy get used to it. While I was watching the video I was thinking if right now I am ready to buy a driverless car and the answer is no; I need time to get idea and I would like to see someone else first using this innovation, I wouldn’t like being a tester ahah.

@francescatomasello
    Good to see that there isn’t only Google exploring the driverless car. My first thought was “But the other companies like BMW, Fiat, Renault etc what are doing right now to gain points in this sector?” Because I haven’t heard anything about them. Google or Apple or Tesla are going to implement the perfect driverless car as first, the other companies will suffer a major disadvantage and will not be easy to recover because people could lose loyalty in them. Well actually their are doing researches in that field. Fiat is spending like $30 millions on researches in Michigan, do you think it could be at the top as Google or Apple? But I was reading too that the Chief of BMW thinks that due to the moral machine problem the driverless car will not be allowed on UK roads. I don’t think he’s right.

@peppuz
    Wow! It’s really fascinating!!! But now catfish on internet can be more real.. AI has no limits right now. I was in a meeting organised by iBicocca and the guest, the start-up Impactscool, talked about what AI can do. It can create a song mashing a lot of songs from the same singer, can create paintings, can even create the plot of a TV spot as this one.

@valentina
    and @davidetoniolo I agree with you that will be very useful, a lot of people learn a lot reading articles on social media and internet but not always they are true! It could be cool have an encyclopedic collection of articles, all in one app, that everyone understands and maybe it may reduce a little the functional illiteracy. Unfortunately Wikipedia is not quite reliable…MIT is working on a machine learning system to detect fake news, they started in 2016 due to the American elections.

In these days I was thinking about who, between China and USA, will be the winner in the AI. Both are very advanced in this field. According to this article China wants to be the leader by 2030 creating a value industry of 150 billions of dollars!!! I think China is advantaged because of it has already implemented AI and machine learning in many dailies realities..I mean they already living many of these powerful innovations. What guys do you think?

I’m going back to study,

Cheers!

Serena

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

Hi everyone,

Thank you @peppuz you’re still got it! Explanations on LBPH were really easy to understand! And crazy the site “this person doesn’t exist!”

@valentina thanks for sharing the dates of Milano Digital Week! Maybe we could go all together if there’s the opportunity and if there are interesting topics!

@davidetoniolo the Dunning – Kruger effect is something I have always believed in because I know lots of people secure and almost arrogant but in fact they do not know nothing. Someone who is a real expert on a specific topic is humble and not so arrogant.

The paradox of Socrates “I know that I know nothing” is an example of that.  He was so experienced in so many fields and we are still learning from his thoughts and studies but he was conscious of the fact that so many things would have been found out.

And here’s another paradox: the best way to make people aware of their errors and their ignorance is to let them more experts on a specific topic.

As @serenavineis pointed out, a system of recognition of Fake News would be surely a solution (this is not really a solution for arrogant people… even if this is a moral and ethical issue, not so digital) but if there’s on the opposite a company that settles algorithms in order TO CREATE fake news, that is bad. And moreover this company was baked by Elon Musk…

The problem with China is that with domination of AI the result will be on military and geopolitical fields, with so many negative consequences. China is developing its AI knowledge since they do not respect privacy, we had already talked about this. It’s obvious that they could be more developed in 2030 because of this. Another “paradox” is that Google has always been connected with chinese companies but today, it admits that their technologies will not be used in military operations, so what we are talking about?!

Regarding with Tourism 4.0 here’s a project developed in Slovenia that is going to be widespread, I want you to give a look at it. It’s an opportunity for all people working in this sector to contribute to innovate and to create together solutions in order to “to enable travel experiences be more efficient, safer, greener and less hassle while optimizing journey times, and minimizing costs for travelers”.

Cheers,

Francesca

Gianluca
    Participant
    @gianlucabelloni

Hi guys!
    How did you do with examinations? I hope everything well
    Later I’ll join the telegram group to organize the aperitivo.

Thank you @peppuz for the link about biomedical data and encryption, now it’s clear why it could be a problem.
    You also said that the best way to use self-driving cars is if every car work “alone”. As a complete inexperienced in this field, I always thought that the best way to handle self-driving cars was to have a lot of local centralized servers that communicate with cars and decide what they have to do in that area. So cars connect and disconnect with different servers as they go in different areas (with a security double covered area in the middle). This way the server can know where every car is in its area and can manage the speed of every one of them to optimize the efficiency. If the internet goes down we can switch back to the manual system, with lower security speed obviously. Obviously, this vision is for the long period, when every car is a self-driving car, but I think that 5G was a good step in this way, because a really fast connection would be required.
    Is it too much utopian or you think it could be done?

@davidetoniolo
    I tried the site @peppuz shared and I got some strange faces too. 😂 However, it’s really impressive
    About the Dunning-Kruger effect, I’m still confident to be in the top 25% drivers too haha.

Thank you @francescatommasello, @peppuz, @jessinthebox96, @davidetoniolo, @serenavineis, and @valentina for sharing your thoughts about the merging of Facebook’s different messaging systems. In the end, I think that it would be good for the user, who can use just one messaging app and that can rely on the encryption, even if it’s not secure as Telegram. About data sharing between those companies, probably it wouldn’t change a lot because they already speak with each other (but we don’t know how and how much)
    It was also really interesting hearing about your experience with WhatsApp and targeted ads. I never experienced something similar, but I had disabled personalized ads in every place I can. If your stories are true, it’s a serious problem. How can they do so with no one saying something?

About Tourism
    I’m glad we are talking about this important topic, during my Erasmus in Tenerife I studied Marketing for Tourism, because there it is even more important than in Italy.
    This is a sector that will continue to grow during next year and we have to take advantage of that.
    Surely one of the most important innovations that this sector has seen during the last years are the Yield/Revenue management systems. For those who don’t know them, those are the systems that automatically change the price for a flight ticket or for a hotel room, depending on a number of variables, like the number of places and days left.
    Now AI and ML can allow a further step ahead in those systems, with more revenue for companies (This is not always good for us because they could make us pay more understanding the right moment to ask us to)
    We have to implement more of those techniques in Italy (And improve the communication of our beautiful country in other states too)

Cheers,
    Gianluca

Daniela Fiorellino
    Participant
    @danielafiorellino

Hello!

First of all I have to say  that I’m obsessed about that website with AI generating random faces, @peppuz! I spent all morning refreshing the page to see new faces. That is incredible, but how do they know for sure that the person does not exist? To me they all seem people I have seen somewhere, it is unbelievable!

@serenavineis
    about your question about China vs Usa I think that China is already winning. I agree with @francescatomasello, China has less privacy so maybe it is easier for their government to implement AI, knowing that basically they don’t break any law (I mean they probably don’t have to worry about law too much). I found this interesting article on the Washington Post that explain something about privacy in China: at some point it say that we have to understand their culture to understand their law and then it make comparison between their and American’s system. It also say “This is not to say that Chinese people do not care about privacy, they do. But, they value different types of privacy and use different factors to judge the costs and benefits of privacy tradeoffs.” And then it make an example about how people of both country respond to FR. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/08/07/china-privacy/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.22af3eb1a042 Maybe it is all just a matter of perspectives.

I also found out this really short video, that to me it is pretty creepy, what do you guys think? It is weird. It shows a preview of the first AI presenter in china. This is so crazy to me. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2018/nov/09/worlds-first-ai-presenter-unveiled-in-china-video

@serenavineis
    I took your question very seriously ahah. I read this other article where it explain “Why China can do AI more quickly and effectively than the Us” despite the Us has “100 percent of the top 10 AI researchers, and 68 percent of the world’s best 1,000 or so researchers” and I think the core explanation is “while the US is the world’s leader in AI discoveries, China is actually the leader in AI implementation.” https://www.wired.com/story/why-china-can-do-ai-more-quickly-and-effectively-than-the-us/

Talking about China, I was having a conversation with some friends and they told me that China wants to launch artificial moons in some parts of the urban areas, to “light up the night sky”. Did you guys know about it? What do you think? I had a long conversation on this topic, to me it is pretty crazy, but they have their reason (just think how much their electricity costs can reduce for example). https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-45910479

P.s. i’m going to join the telegram group in these days, I didn’t have telegram on my phone!

Have a nice day,

Daniela Fiorellino.

Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi guys!

@danielafiorellino
    , the videos you shared are interesting, actually the question you ask is clear: are we effectively res cogitans in such a perfect way? In case we had to choose to save our life or that of five people, are we sure we would choose the latter?

@francescatomasello
    thanks for sharing the video on Asimov, the questions you ask on Apple are even right: “how can a monopolistic institution be a guarantor for everyone?”

@peppuz
    the site you shared shows how, “fatta la legge, trovato l’inganno” hahahah!

@peppuz
    it is fascinating to read you, because even if I’m a smart person all these details are gold to me, thank you!

@peppuz
    @davidetoniolo I’ll go to see Durov’s Channel 😉

@davidetoniolo
    when you write: “A thing that I really can not stand up for their opinions” you’re right, I can not stand them, but you know without bothering the NLP my father rightly says: ” ignorance and presumption always go hand in hand “. The first impression hits in four seconds and unfortunately it is difficult to change your mind. Furthermore, what @davidetoniolo reports from Forbes: “And it’s not just college kids; you can find examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect everywhere. One study of high-tech firms discovered that 32-42% of software engineers rated their skills as being in the top 5% of their companies. A nationwide survey found that 21% of Americans believe that it’s ‘very likely’ or ‘fairly likely’ that they’ll become millionaires within the next 10 years. Drivers consistently rate themselves above average. Medical technicians overestimate their knowledge in real-world lab procedures. 68% rated themselves in the top 25% for teaching ability, and more than 90% rated themselves above the average (I’m sure you’ll notice it is mathematically impossible) ”

I think a lot …

In my opinion, some attitudes are also the fruit of a culture of “happiness”: we want to be smart, intelligent, capacious etc. Always first in class! Where is Nietzsche?!? Ahahah!

@davidetoniolo
    even I’m confident that I’m in the top 25% skilled drivers! 😉

@serenavineis
    I think that the battle between USA and China will be won by China, but I hope that their working model does not affect ours. I don’t know what is the future of jobs, but “riders” is not a job! Where are the rights?

It would be nice @francescatomasello to go together to the Milan Digital Week! 😉

Today during my lunch break I was in University (I’ll have to recover tonight staying more at work … uff!), I followed the first lesson of the second semester of “history of medieval and modern law”.

I would like to share with you two thoughts, the first is “only” a song:

the second thought is the usefulness of the “jurists” in a 5.0 world. In fact, lawmakers will be needed to issue rules, to give rights to those who do not have them, to create a just society. Lawmakers to govern the new technology.

So I hope that in addition to @peppuz one day you need me too 😉

Thank you for reading, even though today I have been long.

Cheers,

Valentina

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

Goodmorning guys!

Thank you @gianlucabelloni for mentioning revenue management systems because this is a technology that thanks to Machine learning algorithms will be enhanced in the near future. But one month ago I read an article on Corriere della Sera which explained the “hidden-city ticketing”: this is phenomenon derives from bias of algorithms on airlines websites. In a nutshell, if you have to go from Bologna to Paris, direct flight costs 300 euro but if you book Bologna-Paris-Copenaghen you will pay 130 euro. That results in 55% discount. Everyone would book the last option, but obviously not going from Paris to Copenaghen.

This phenomenon is very common in USA and there are sites as Skiplagged that automatized this. Airlines claim they are in effect being deprived both of revenue from travel to the passenger’s intended destination and the ability to sell the seat that’s been skipped. In reality, Lufthansa is claming about 2300 dollar in damages (the process is still open but at the first istance Lufthansa lost) to a passenger that used the “hidden-city ticketing”.  The problem is, as usual, that there still has not been implemented a clear law in order to react to this phenomenon. It is legal or illegal? It’s an open debate..

@danielafiorellino your article about differences between USA and China is really on topic and it gives us the opportunity to reflect more. The main and maybe more important difference is that USA is capitalist and China is Communist. People have very different and opposite cultures since that. But since globalization has grown, everyone can see different perspective of life, laws and so on. I’m sure that in this way, lots of people have started thinking if their Country’s culture and laws are right or not for them. It’s a matter of perspectives: every Country has its own charateristics and everyone can assume what is best for himself/herself. Not every USA citizen is happy with Trump politics but even not every China citizen is happy with Jinping politics. At a global level there’s the need to create a sort of supranational regulation in order to merge USA and China quotes on Privacy, for example. We need to respect China’s culture but as we are on the other side, we should state that China is not respecting people at all, privacy is a controlled commodity and it’s not a real freedom for citizens.

Regarding “fake moon” I think that it’s a dangerous idea for animals and nature in general. If it was done properly it would be a problem for the environment. But also, in real terms, how could they reduce costs for lighting since the light of the moon (if the fake moon is exactly as the real moon) is not so powerful and bright? I mean that it would be very very very darker than now, without artificial lighting. And in order to use this fake moon, this moon will be very birght to give the same result. This project seems very weird to me.

Last but not least this fresh news about AI in Italy (Osservatorio AI Politecnico). Seeing the occupational side, this trend is not so positive at the moment, and also italian companies are not so expert in this topic, they tend to listen to media’s information. We are only at the beginning!

Have a good day,

Francesca

Jessica Amianto Barbato
    Participant
    @jessinthebox96

Hi everyone!

The “This Person Does Not Exist” website @peppuz posted reminded me of a French artist, Raphael Fabre, who got an ID from the government by using a 3D model generated through computer graphic softwares instead of a photo of his own face. You can read more about what happened here, but it made me realize that AI algorithms, like the one that website uses (GAN, generative adversarial networks, which consists in two networks competing against each other billions of times to refine their image generating skills until they’re efficient enough to generate pictures called deepfakes), could actually end up being used for illegal purposes. Some people have put forward the idea that GANs could feed the next art movement, which sounds pretty crazy (how can you call a computer an artist?), but it’s not too far from being reality: Google DeepDream, for example, uses the aforementioned AI algorithm to fuse patterns into images portaing faces and many artists have already hosted exhibitions featuring AI-generated artworks (some are listed here). As cool as it might seem, not all that sounds innocent is actually harmless: i’ll show you a video generated through GANs which exposes the scary side of AI algorithms:

Here you can hear Obama saying things the real Obama would never say; this is just one example of AI serving the purpose of spreading fake news and that was the alarm bell that brought to the development of another algorithm that could detect the blinking rate of people in videos like Obama’s. In AI-generated contents the blinking rate is usually lower than normal so you can be rather certain that what you’re looking at is fake; but what happens when you don’t have movements to track? What if the incriminated subject is a still picture?

I reckon thousands of criminals would counterface their identities by generating pictures like those from “This Person Does Not Exist” and if you consider that a random guy managed to have the French government validate his identity on the most official document (which now presents a “virtual” photo instead of his own), what would happen if the formula was made available to the public (which, by the way, I think it already is; I found this on GitHub but I think it would require too powerful computers to be actually accessible)?

@davidetoniolo
    I would really back your political debate app! Still you would have to come to terms with the Filter Bubble issue; the filter bubble is the online mechanism of information polarization, meaning that social networks (and Google’s SERP) tend to show users what they like, giving the feeling that their own idea is the correct/most validated one. It’s exactly what we call the echo chamber effect, consisting in people surrounding themselves with other people with whom they share the same opinions.Another consequence of this kind of process is the spiral of silence: when all your friends, your family, your colleagues, expose opinions you don’t agree with, you tend to shush yourself and keep your minoritarian idea to yourself. In the real world every one of us interacts with different people in different contexts, so it’s quite easy to hear more sides of an issue, but when it comes to social networks it’s very hard not to get convinced that what we think is right no matter what; in this case, if we spoke our mind, there would be a plethora of users hiding behind the keyboard ready to strongly reaffirm their ideas so we are pushed to stay silent.

Thanks to @danielafiorellino for sharing those videos; I watched them both and I even laughed at the idea of implementing an eject button (even though I read the comments and someone seemed to be pretty convinced by that). A comment says that isolated accidents are likely to decrease but the risk of something terrible happening to everyone’s car at the same time would increase; I hadn’t valued that option before, because in my mind, I don’t know why, it always rhymes with the kind of The Day After Tomorrow post-apocalyptic scenario we used to see in film a bunch of years ago. I can’t easily get along with such a dramatic vision because I think, as we approach the new technology, we will progressively face small issues and prevent catastrophes from happening. Maybe I’m a little too optimistic but that’s the way it works for me …

I also wanted to show you an article about a company launching an artificial intelligence based software to find the perfect flatmate and put an end to horror stories about the people we share the flat with.It just made me giggle at first, but it seems like it could eventually be a great formula for offsite students; the company plans to apply the algorithm in the commercial sector — such as retirement villages but I think it would work great even in matching dorm rooms when it comes to booking a shared room in a hotel. It’s not really about tourism, but I wanted to share it with you anyway!

Generally speaking I want to link you an article about Stitcher (a Spotify-like app that collects podcasts about dozens of different topics) teaming up with Vox Media to release podcasts about AI and privacy issue; they’ll likely to be made available during next summer.

Have a great day!

Jessica

Serena
    Participant
    @serenavineis

Good afternoon guys,

@francescatomasello
    I heard about the new discover by Elon Musk, incredible! Fortuntely Musk has the knowledge to not make public his research, but once discovered and patented it could be always a hide weapon to use to beat his competitors…As @jessinthebox96 posted the video of Obama, I saw it during an iBicocca event, it’s really catastrophic because it means will be very easy make catfish on internet and spread fake news to make money (well at end the main purpose is to make money, always). But once a fake news combined with the video of the person how can we know if that’s true or false? In this case, and in many other ones, the figure of the Jurist is absolutely needed, so @valentina be ready, I think you will have a lot of work in the future 😉

@gianlucabelloni
    Thanks for sharing the article about Machine learning in the revenue management; this system is really helpful for firms, for sure there will be a better process of forecasting and analysis. @francescatomasello wow! I didn’t know about the hidden-city-ticketing! Really impressive. I think if the Airline knows about this error in the algorithm and doesn’t do anything to improve it to not be damaged well then it’s absolutely fair use the hidden-city-ticketing in my opinion; it’s not fair create a business on it as Skiplagged did. I think it is implemented the machine learning in the Airlines system so this error it would have to be corrected by itself after several cases but it didn’t, for this reason I think it’s legal do what people did. In this case we can see a human characteristic that AI and machine learning could not have right now: craftiness.

@danielafiorellino
    I loved your articles!! They really opened my mind especially when they talk about the meaning of privacy in English and in Chinese; this word has a completely different meaning but very powerful to understand why Chinese are more open to these innovation and to give away more personal info than us. I totally agree about the Chinese AI implementation, it connects with the concept of “learning by doing” and actually only doing you can improve and making new discoveries, in my opinion. At the same time. as we were saying at the beginning of the forum, these implementations are dangerous during a period of technology laws lack, we are in the hands of the powerful ones. I totally agree with @francescatomasello who said ” At a global level there’s the need to create a sort of supranational regulation in order to merge USA and China quotes on Privacy, for example. We need to respect China’s culture but as we are on the other side, we should state that China is not respecting people at all, privacy is a controlled commodity and it’s not a real freedom for citizens.” We cannot allow to use these methods on us.

@danielafiorellino
    The Fake moon is a really ambitious project. To be honest I think the research, the development and the costruction will cost more than the lights street. A lot of cons there are in these project:

• Animals and eviroment: as @francescatomasello said
    • Light pollution
    • Human beings: having constantly powerful lights, during the night, I don’t think it is safe for our health

All these cons wouldn’t be only for China but for all over the world.

@francescatomasello
    As we are living in a stagnant economy and until when there won’t be a good education about technology (AI, machine learnining and deep learning) people and firms won’t be confident to undestand and try to interact with technology. Italy has many resources and good characteristics but unfortunately hasn’t the innovation one. This is a lack of our culture and due to a high rate of functional illiterates as @valentina and @davidetoniolo said some posts before. We need more communication campaigns on this sector trying to give more info and trying to change mentality. Hopefully many italian universities are trying to organise courses and events about the future of technology; for example I knew Impactscool, an italian start-up born to educate people on tecnology, thanks to iBicocca.

@jessinthebox96
    I need this flatmate app! I am fed up to be the only one who cleans the flat..I will give a look and maybe I’ll try it!!

In the latest hours in San Francisco, Samsung released a new type of phone, and a brand new type of product, the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Apple already patented the idea in 2014 but still hasn’t producted it. So is Samsung the new pioneer in the mobile field?

Cheers,

Serena

Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi everyone,

how fast you are, guys?!? So many Speedy Gonzales! 🙂

This time I would like to proceed backwards, starting from the last propose of @serenavineis.

Samsung would like to become the new leader, but in my opinion between Huawei and Apple will be tough. I never had a Samsung phone, but my friend always buys new Samsung phones, I will not give you the bad news that this new game will cost 2000 euros 😉

@serenavineis
    I saw the official launch movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=7r_UgNcJtzQ

Galaxy Fold is fantastic!

It is easy to outline some aspects of the launch campaign that is outlined as: emotional, adult target, well-off and certainly a female profile 😉 The notes of Joanna Wang play with “Pure Imagination” are “Wow”!

the Galaxy portfolio has a wider and stronger appeal comparing with the last two years.

The new design with key features such as the Infinity O Display, the three-camera system and the ultrasound scanner for fingerprints will capture with no doubts the interest of the first users of technology and consumers who want a model that differs from the past ones.

I am positively impressed by the way Samsung is paying more and more attention to the overall experiences.

The partnership with Instagram for camera mode and with Adobe for video editing on devices shows, not only the ability to bring other brands into the ecosystem, but also greater attention to make life easier for users. The business model of Apple comes to mind in this regard. 😉

Cheers.

Valentina

Valentina
    Participant
    @valentina

Hi everyone,

@gianlucabelloni
    I also think that this sector will be growing exactly as in latu sensu that of wellness, such as the figure of personal trainer.

@danielafiorellino
    I watched the video you shared on the artificial “presenter”. You’re right, it’s disturbing! It feels so real. Will the presenter be standardized or will the programmers develop it further adding physical imperfections, expressive traits to make it more “human”?

@danielafiorellino
    I believe that the artificial moon is nonsense. Sometimes we should ask ourselves if some inventions are really useful. I recently discovered that the request to keep the headlights turned on in our cars is just business, so we use more petrol throughout the year. About 40 lt more for year. Does it seem legit to pay 10 cents for the fruit bag at the supermarket?

I don’t want to make a political speech, but unfortunately I understand that then it becomes such.

I conceive of the human as being res cogitantes.

@francescatomasello
    if you give me more information on the “hidden-city ticketing” case that involved Lufthansa I can do a de-jure search on it.

@francescatomasello
    when you write about the US-China relationship, I think: “globalization”.

Years ago while I was studying at IULM I read Naomi Klein’s book “No logo”. The title “No logo” should not be read literally as a slogan, but it is the attempt to express a position contrary to the politics of multinational corporations. No logo is an analysis of the history of brand management techniques and its repercussions on the dynamics of work.  Naomi Klein says that in the last twenty years a radical change in capitalism would have taken place: if the phase of commodity production was central, now the latter becomes marginal and negligible, while more and more forces and money are being brand and on the proposal of a series of intangible and ideal values to be connected to it (branding), with the aim of creating its own slice of monopoly. The huge monetary resources that these strategies require derive from the savings on production, which is dislocated in Third World countries where the company can exploit the labor force with impunity. In this context, an in-depth analysis of the reality of the Export Processing Zones of Asia and Latin America is presented (including an account of a journalist’s visit to the EPZ of Cavite), in which most of the companies to which the big brands international (Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Disney etc.) subcontract much of their production activity.

Let’s think about it!

This is also happening for the technology sector.

Cheers.

Valentina

Jessica Amianto Barbato
    Participant
    @jessinthebox96

Hi everyone! How are you doing?

What @valentina and @serenavineis have said about Samsung Galaxy Fold made me think about something I read a couple of weeks ago; Huawei has basically taught their Huawei Mate20 Pro to complete Schubert’s Symphony No 8, known as the Unfinished Symphony. The funny thing is that they achieved their goal of completing the melody by using artificial intelligence to analyse the unfinished piece of music and to finish it according to the style of the original composer. This new version took the pitch, the timbre and the meter of the existing music and is now completed with an AI-generated possible conclusion to it. The final orchestral score, which was performed live on February, 4 at the Cadogan Hall in London, was then arranged by Lucas Cantor, who took the AI-generated music and filled the gaps to make it possible for an entire orchestra to play it. Here you can listen to what I’m talking about.

You might already know that the Mate20 Pro features Master AI, which is an AI intelligence developed to bring photography to a new level. This new system recognizes what subject is in front of the camera and enables different scenes and optimal parameters to make the resulting image look flawless. What @valentina says about Samsung Galaxy Fold partnering with Adobe and Instagram is true: we are all aware of how widespread the craze for photo and video editing app is (I am a victim of the trend too: my graduation thesis was all about video editing applications and the kind of user experience each of them could guarantee), and I’m pretty sure the camera specifics are the most looked at when someone buys a new smartphone. Being a video editor myself, the prospective of having a built-in version of Adobe Premiere Rush already installed on my device was quite appealing (consider that the standard version is a bit limited and rather heavy for the device to work smoothly when it’s running). That’s a smart move from the Samsung side but I’m still quite convinced that Huawei will take over the market way before Fold and the whole S10 series catch on. Huawei’s name is undeniably associated with the top-notch brands when it comes to cameras and lenses (Leica) and the new AI system, I think, is way more reassuring than the Instagram filters options advanced by Samsung.

What do you think about it?

Have a nice weekend!

Jessica

Francesca Tomasello
    Participant
    @francescatomasello

Hi everyone!

@jessinthebox96 I have already heard about GAN and art: it is so odd to me to believe a thing like this, I do not retain that this will be the next art movement because more than artists, people who use these algorithms are programmer, where’s all the human creativity?! I won’t buy a painting made by AI (and moreover they are too expensive). As @serenavineis I’ve seen Obama’s video at one of IBicocca event by Impactscool. As you are writing, this is a way to spread fake news but also criminals can benefit from this in order to create false passports and other official documents. I hope that even police will create methods to recognize these violations. At the moment I found out VeryPol, a system created by the collaboration between Wales and Spanish researchers that identifies principally false statements. Maybe we will see something similar in order to recognize false photo identities.

There’s a legal theme connected to AI and art: copyright. Who is going to be the recipient, the programmer/artist or the machine? Now it’s the programmer/artist, but who knows in the future, perhaps we will see machines as recipients.

@valentina: about Lufthansa’s case I only found this official document but the only problem is that it’s written in german…

In addition to everything that @jessinthebox96 said about Huawei, here’s the preview of the Mobile World Congress in Barcellona. The official event is taking place today at 2 pm. So we will see if Huawei with Mate X is really going to present this smartphone that is foldable but also has 5G (it would be the first smartphone on the market with these two charateristics together) since someone spoilered this photo:

In conclusion, Samsung has opened a new era of competition among the biggest companies (Xiaomi, Huawei, Apple…). I’m sure that all of them are going to do their best to produce the best smartphone, also in terms of price since this is a real matter of fact: people are willing to pay more if the product is real the best. If there are competitors with a good product that costs less, maybe lots of people switch to this company. It will take time for these companies to generate attractive user experiences (at the moment none of us can test these foldable smartphones).

Here you can see the last trend of 2018 by Gartner where Xiaomi and Huawei are grown and Samsung declined.  What is going to happen in 2019? I think that Huawei is going to grow and grow, more than Samsung!

Have a nice weekend

Francesca

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘Bicocca Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.