Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2020 Go to Silicon Valley Virtually 2020

167 replies, 52 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 3 years, 3 months ago
  • Elena
    @elenanua

Hello everyone!

I’m Elena, I’m 24 and I’m from Genoa. I’m attending the first year of a Master’s degree in Management. One of my characteristics is CURIOSITY, and that’s why I’m here, talking with you all. When I finished the high school I started the practice for becoming a surveyor, and two years later, in the same month, I reached the title but I started studying at the University too. I am  really proud of my choice, because a new life started for me: knowledge, friends, and many other things that I couldn’t imagine happened in the past three years. I’m very happy now for partecipate in this initiative!

Thank you everyone for reading my post, have a good day!

Elena

P.s. I’m so impatient to see the next WebinAir! 🙂

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

#rule !!

Hi all happy to see you here in 29! I do hope all of you come in SVST 2021…LET’S SEE!

@elena  @elenanua   please put also the surname in your presentation …you are so many attending the Cycle!!

thank you!!

Elena
    @elenanua

Ok sure @paolomarenco ! I tried to modify the previous post but I’m not able to do it, maybe I can’t…

Anyway, I’m Elena Nuara, from Genoa. Nice to meet you all! 🙂

Christian
    @christianpaesante

Hi everyone!

Despite being really busy from University, I finally found some time to enter in some of the discussion arose in these days!

“INTELLIGENCE and resourcefulness are the keys to succeed in life. ALWAYS.”, I strongly agree with that idea. I personally believe that everyone equally has an strong human potential and I feel that, more than intelligence, determination is the key factor for all kinds of success. For example some athlete doesn’t need a particular dose of intelligence, but what will grant him to win is how much effort, dedication and focus he put in his training. Intelligence, speed, strength are all feature that you gain working on yourself, but determination is something in you that you must have in order to improve the previous ones.

Personally, I found that determination was what allowed me to keep growing in the past years and get close to the world of the Big Tech and get an interview for a Software Engineer position in a selective company such as Amazon. Over the course of my growth (which of course is still not complete) I became more intelligent as well. I see wisdom, intelligence and smartness as related but different things:

Wisdom for me is the pure knowledge

Intelligence is the capacity to leverage your knowledge in order to take the best action in front of a problem

Smartness is the capacity to leverage the environment at your advantage without requiring a proper knowledge (some sort of “instict”)

Of course you must have the right mix of the three to achieve what you want. For example solving a complex technical problem may require more wisdom and intelligence, while for an entrepreneur intelligence and smartness are more important even if you don’t have a big wisdom.

For the entrepreneur case I see as smartness as the crazyness mentioned by @sal0hc1n, but I feel that crazyness is something more related to illogical actions rather than risky actions with the purpose to leverage the environment at your advantage. So, from my point of view an entrepreneur will always put reason in his actions in order to foresee consequences, environment changes and problems and to avoid crashing into them only when they arise.

For this last point I have an example. During Q1 and Q2 of 2018 Tesla encountered big problems into the production of the Model 3, the car that should have put Tesla in a profitable situation. Deliveries were constantly delayed and production rates were constantly unsatisfied. Tesla stocks were crashing and the company was burning hundred of milions of dollars. Apparently, the strong automation of production pipeline wasn’t perfect and the production was constantly blocking. Since there wasn’t a proper way to fix the problems easily without stopping the production, Musk decided to put a giant tent aside of the factory and create a production pipeline with less automation, all with “minimal resources”.

For me that’s a clear example of smartness. The factory already had the production machines, but the integration between them was the problem. The “simplest” thing to do was to reduce complexity for a provisional reduced teorical maximum production rate, in order to start the production and in the meanwhile solve the problems. All of this without requiring big additional expenses. And it worked. He leveraged the factory situation of that moment at his advantage in order to fulfill the expectations.

Another important thing for an entrepreneur (and in general everyone) is the capability to handle pressure and stress, more in general emotions. A cold mind reasons better and helps us make better choices. I think it is a key to achieve resilience and resilience is what allows anyone to keep his momentum even in the most difficult situations, don’t getting cracked by them and in the end being successful. I think resilience is the most valuable skill, also in every-day life.

What do you think? Do you think a particular mindset could really help you in life?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Christian.
    Carlo
    @cbrugo

Hello everybody!

My name is Carlo Brugo, I’m a SVST 2019 Alumnus and the other forum moderator (with Simone) from PoliTo.

I’m really glad about how this forum is going: all the topics are really stimulating, and your opinions and your deepenings allow all of us expand our knowledge.

Last week @simone-dalledonne used an interesting expression: “I think the greatest value I have is to be Italian!“. This topic was also argued by @dariaarena, who talked about the “Italian values” and how Italian people make you feel at home everywhere in the world.

Visiting the Silicon Valley last year I had the opportunity to admire how the Italian community is flourishing there. In particular the SVIEC (Silicon Valley Italian Executive Council) is constantly committed to organizing events of networking and conferences in the Bay Area, as well as supporting Paolo and La Storia nel Futuro association every year during the Silicon Valley Study Tour.

Another recent great example is the Silicon Valley Italian Hub, placed in the heart of Silicon Valley from where Italians can start to create their own network and acquire the mindset of the Bay Area. The Hub was created by Lombard Street Ventures, a venture capital in San Francisco founded by two Italian investors.

These are just some of the incredible results of the Italian community in the Bay Area, and you will see many more of them during our video conferences!

In your opinion, what can an international Hub bring to Silicon Valley? Do you know any other example?
    Which are the skills that Italians have that permit them to have a sprint in their life?
    And why there? Why there is not another place like the Silicon Valley in the world?

PS: if you missed last week conference, here you can find the playlist where all the conferences will be uploaded!

Eleonora Bernasconi
    Participant
    @eleonorab

Hi guys!

I’m Eleonora Bernasconi, I’m 22 years old and I’m currently studying to get my master’s degree in bioengineering (neuroengineering) in Genova. I got my bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering in Padova, where I became fascinated by mathematical models of biological systems, especially neurons and that’s why I decided to move to Genova to apply in a course specifically tailored around my interests. I’m supposed to do an Internship and the thesis in Erasmus, hoping the situation will permit it, studying the synchronization of neural nets.

I’m really curious and I love to learn from new experiences and other people’s stories. I think SVST is a great opportunity to enter in contact with the best minds in the technological field and I’m really grateful we can have a glimpse of what the tour would be like from our homes during this tough time.

I was reading other posts on this forum and I was really glad to read Nicholas’ (@sal0hc1n) vision on innovation since I too think it’s crucial for it to be independent from economic, political and religious interests. Progress nowadays is incredibly fast and it would be impossible for a single person or company to keep up with the new technologies. In order for all of humanity to continue to improve it’s fundamental to increase cooperation and not just competition.

With this in mind I wanted to discuss some of the questions advanced by Carlo (@cbrugo). People coming from different parts of the world, with different educational and cultural backgrounds may have different insights on a same problem. Internationality is also fundamental to ensure that everybody may have the same access to different technologies both to improve them and to improve their lifestyle. This is a very important topic for me since I’ve decided to become a bioengineer to help people better or regain their lifestyle. An entrepreneur should be someone with other people’s needs in mind who finds creative solutions to problems one possibly didn’t even know he had. In order for a business to grow though these solutions need to be accessible to a vast population.

I think Silicon Valley is currently one of the most advanced places in the world. There is no other place like it because nowhere in the world there is such a massive concentration of incredibly motivated, talented and intelligent people and the networks that can be established between these minds are what drive innovation. Another important factor that permits businesses and start up’s to grow there is the US mentality. As Andrea Baldini said in the last webinar it’s much more difficult for reasons such as bureaucracy to open a start up in Italy. I think the Italian infostructure lacks the entrepreneur mentality, it’s really hard to get founding and research is often blocked by ethical and religious issues (which are surely of great importance but we’re left behind compared to other countries).

I can’t wait to see the next webinar and continue discussing these great topics with you!

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hi @eleonorab happy to have you here!

You are right

the Silicon Valley Stimulus is great for everybody receive it. I relaunch here the 2 stories that we told in april of 2 Alumni working from Silicon Valley companies in Torino , after their tour in 2009 (Stefano) and 2014 (Andrea).

I think they are very inspiring!

Stefano Pistillo, Alumno SVST 2009, project coordinator Clickmail since 8 years

Andrea Scianò, Alumno SVST 2014, frontend engineer Sysdig  since 5 years

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Paolo Marenco.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Simona Borghi.
    Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all!

here you are to be inspired. Better if from young people like you.

Have a glance to this story , Daniel from Brisbane…If you do not know machine learning, it could be  also a cool suggestion

Silvia Giammarinaro
    @silviag

Good evening everyone!

Thanks Paolo Marenco for sharing these stories with us. I have followed both seminars and they were so motivating. I often read successful stories to get inspired. Some days ago I bumped into an interesting video on youtube in my subscriptions which make me think how this global pandemic is changing us. This girl is entrepreneur who lives in San Francisco and she got a baby last year. The lockdown phase due to the Coronavirus spread made her realized she was paying for something she was not getting. As the previous webinars, she mentioned that networking is a powerful tool, but now it is impossible. So she decided to move, also for finding a good school for her baby. Maybe she would move anyway, but who knows.

Another important topic is that Politecnico di Torino has confirmed online teaching for the next year, along with fewer face-to-face activities like laboratories, thesis and projects. A lot of my colleagues are about to drop their rental contract before the start of the summer, they decided to not come to Turin after this announcement. I will continue to stay in Turin for work, but I think I would have the same even without work. What do you think about it? How your school or university is dealing with this crisis?

I always believe every cloud has a silver lining. The silver lining I found out during the lockdown is the pleasure of preparing a good balanced meal. I report here some statistics from Altroconsumo which show how our eating habits have changed. Have you noticed your diet changed during this lockdown? What is your silver lining of the lockdown?

Luca Signori
    Participant
    @lucasignori

Hi everyone! How are you? Thank you for all of your thoughts, here in the forum. I like all of them. Come one: I want to read new ideas and topics about your passion for startups, innovation, technology and digital ecosystem!
    I introduce myself. My name is Luca Signori and I’m the forum moderator. I was in the SVST 2018 and 2019 crew with guys from some of top Italian universities: Bocconi, Bicocca, University of Pavia, University of Genoa, IED Milano, Università Cattolica and so on. I work as freelance in web marketing area and I’m in the SVST communication team to improve the contents on social media feed.
    In 2018, for the first time in the SVST history, a group (of 5 migrants guys) goes in the Valley for the tour. The idea was realized thanks to a deal between Welcomaps (an online project, born in 2017, to geolocalize the best practices of reception and integration on migrants), Refugees Welcome, Mygrants and UNHCR Italy. I was the group guide. It was a great experience!
    Today I want to give you a little suggestion. A book, a little pearl for you: Silicon Valley. Sogna, Credici, Realizza written by Eleonora Chioda ad Tiziana Tripepi, Journalists of Millionaire magazine. If you love Silicon Valley, don’t forget to read this book!
    Then, a remind for all of you. Don’t forget! Tomorrow there will be a new speech, the second step of “Go To Silicon Valley Virtually 2020”. Emilio Billi and Antonella Rubicco, A3cube founders will be online with us. A3cube, founded in 2012 in San Jose, is a company leader in hardware and software solutions. Recently they open a new European Headquarter, in the middle of Innovation Park in Galliate, near Novara.
    What do you think about this choice? Do you know other example of this in Europe?
    PAY ATTENTION
    I would kindly ask you to have you name and surname inside the ‘Name’ label, in doing this you will have it right next to your name in light blue and it would be easier for us to recognize you when you write a comment.
    Thank you!!
    if you missed last week conference, you can find the Go To Silicon Valley Virtually playlist where all the conferences will be uploaded!

Alex Bisetti
    @alexbisetti

Hi everybody!

I read all topic that you talked… there’s a lot of starting point, I’m very happy to be part of this project.

I would like to talk about what @silviag. My school has adapted but I think that distance teaching is not as effective as face-to-face teaching. I noticed that in some subject there’s no difference and it’s even better. But for the subjects I have at the artistic high school, as architecture laboratory, it isn’t so optimal.

In your opinion, how will the situation evolve and how will we adapt the web to future needs?

Unfortunately tommorow I won’t be able to partecipate at the online meeting. I’m really sorry, I will watch it delayed

Katia Palma
    @katia-palma

Hi guys!!!

Reading some of your topics, I noticed that most of you are asking themselves if distance-learning is usefull and/or can be improved.

I think that this new way of teaching and learning is not as powerfull as face-to-face lessons.

Personally, although teachers make their best to maintain studends’ attention, the online-platform is the problem: it might be more interesting, grafically I mean.

There may be more start-ups facing this problem, trying to create something new and more competitive!

What do you think about?

Wishes,

Katia Palma

Valerio Marco
    @valeriomarcociampi

Hello guys,

How’s it going? I hope everything’s fine!

Unfortunately today I couldn’t join the live because I was attending a webinar for work. I look forward to watch the rec on YouTube!

Meanwhile: how was it? Do you have any comments?

Thanks a lot, have a good evening!

VMC

Daria Arena
    @dariaarena

Hi everyone!

I was really attracted by what Antonella and Emilio said during the last webinar.

I find so essential the fact that they stressed how important it is to get everything we can through our strength, knowledge, choices. I think it is necessary to be focused on reaching our aim with our sacrifices. They even talked about the identity between workers’ personality and factory’s massage: I have no doubt about the idea that the place where we work should be the one that represent us the most. We should always take the risk if there is even only a possibility to reach what we dream.

I can share<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>@christianpaesante’s view: determination palys an important role in our whole life, we must always be determined while doing every kind of thing, from studying to making some of the most important decisions. And we must be brave.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

And I agree with the fact that we should manage our feelings, but they can help us too. In my opinion there must be a brain-heart balance.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

We should not replace people with power. Humanity should always be our priority.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Hope to read some of your thoughts soon.

Daria

Matteo
    @matteo30

Hi everyone,

my name is Matteo and I’m a 26 years old student at the last year of automation engineering at the University of Brescia.

During my last years I worked in parallel with my studies on various projects, some of which together with the university.

I am part of a group of contamination ideas here in Brescia and with a team in training we are designing medical/technological devices that we would like to release to hospitals in the future. To finance our projects we have done several jobs, the last one was starting a 3D printing service with affordable costs for everyone.

I’m fascinated by California and i like to meet people who feel they can improve this world with their ideas and skills.

I’m excited about this opportunity and the possibility to meet new people with this type of mindset, so thank you for your project! 😀

I’m convinced that hard work always pays off.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘Go to Silicon Valley Virtually 2020’ is closed to new replies.