Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2018 Migrants in Italy to Silicon Valley Study Tour

24 replies, 8 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 5 years, 11 months ago
  • Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey migrant friends!

After the project Welcomaps that we launched last year, 2017 to tell the best welcome and integration stories of Migrants in Italy,  this year in partnership with some organizations Mygrants, Refugees- welcome and UNHCR we want to select some of you to join our Silicon Valley Study Tour 2018,  August 19-25.

In this discussion Forum, you selected by the above orgs, can introduce yourself- in english or italian- tell yr country origin, when and how in Italy, what you do today, what you expect from the Tour attendance.

We’ll be happy to know you better!

Kelvin
    Participant
    @kelvinzwennes

Hello,

I am Kelvin, a 24 year old obstetrician. I graduated at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia. I am now finishing my Masters in Forensic Science and Investigative Sex Crime. When I heard about this project I was thrilled because finally it seems we of the second generation(immigrants) are being noticed and I really hope it becomes a stepping stone to further shine a brighter light on what we can achieve both for Italy and our motherland if we are given the proper resources and tools

Rayne
    Participant
    @rayne92

My name is Rayne kunene from Swaziland. I’m currently studying communication Communication at the American university of Rome. I am so happy to be part of this since it’s goes together with my major and am so interested in Technological staffs . Opportunity of life time thanks yo Silicon Valley for making our dream come true .

Hope for  the Best! Through out the adventure.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hi  @rayne92 and @kelvinzwennes so you both were born in Italy?

tell something about yr story, family, from where  they- you came, and if you see your future back in your country sometimes or never!

Rayne
    Participant
    @rayne92

Well, I was born in Swaziland where I grew up almost all my childhood, l am from a very polygamy family very big ,I was fortunate to be able to attend school that other kids didn’t get that opportunity ,I would say I was so lucky, all my relatives are teachers reason being that we grew up wanting to help each other .  Swaziland is very small and developing country  so ,for studying communication and interested in technology would help me so much since I want to go back in Swaziland and help to teach those unfortunate kids that doesn’t have the opportunity to study about it. Some of the kids don’t have families or parents to take care of them to school,   in that case I can be able to teach them and help them achieve their dreams like am doing here  . I believe in making a difference in the life of others. I always tell my sister Livia that I want to travel to countries like Uganda, Kenya that don’t even have water ,not to talk of food to eat and help them in the future.

Rayne
    Participant
    @rayne92

Adding to that , technology for me is very important in our society and everyday life, it helps us to conquer  and overcome those communication  barriers we had before. Technology has a positive affects on the development of societies around the world, it can be in universities ,schools and hospitals. I didn’t  had opportunity to study more about technology and now am struggling trying to learn it myself in different aspects ,so if some poor kids can get this opportunity to,  I would be very happy to learn and also transfer my knowledge to them.

Ousmane
    Participant
    @ousmane

Buongiorno,

Sono Ousmane, volevo avere un idea un po piu chiara sui obiettivi di questa iniziativa. Perché ho una visione un po scura. Anche se la mail che ho recevuta spiega in maniera generale.

A cosa servira questo forum e cosa dobbiamo fare??? O su quale tema dobbiamo discutere.

Grazie.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Ousmane, il forum serve prima di tutto per conoscervi. Da dove venite come quando, cosa fate in Italia, tornerete nel.vostro Paese? Poi per capire se una settimana in silicon valley a incontrare aziende e universita che cercano di cambiare il mondo e la nostra vita è un esperienza che vi interessa.

A fine maggio sapremo quanti di voi potremo portare a vivere questa esperienza, senza costo per voi. E vi.uniremo al gruppo dei trenta studenti delle universita italiane che parteciperanno al Tour.

Nella sezione Events trovi il programma preliminare del Silicon Valley Study Tour 2018

Ousmane
    Participant
    @ousmane

Ah ok capito.

Kelvin
    Participant
    @kelvinzwennes

I am from Ghana. I arrived in Italy 10 years ago, I got my high school diploma in Biology. My family is still living in Ghana and as the first born in most african countries I act as the breadwinner in the absence of my father. I have collaborated with the Blu Cross of Modena and an association by name Moxa in helping to send an Ambulance to a hospital in need back home. I try my best to keep in contact with a lot of professionals in Ghana because my ultimate goal is that to be able to help with my countrries health issues through the education of both the regular citizen and aspiring professionals as I intend to go back and settle there once I fully develop as an experienced worker . You might define me as an ambitious person, who has always used whatever resource to create an opportunity for himself. I got interested in this project because I see it can be another window of opportunity to cleave valuable ideas from other people around the globe to add to mine and maybe refine my future projects. This is a wonderful opportunity and I am really both proud and happy that we are being given this kind of gateway to eventually express ourselves.

Aminata Ndiaye
    Participant
    @aminata

Salve,

Mi chiamo Aminata Ndiaye, ho 22 anni(23 ad ottobre). Sono nata e cresciuta in senegal, dove ero rimasta con mia nonna e mia zia in quanto i miei si erano trasferiti in italia (mio babbo nell’89, e mia mamma nel 98). Sono in italia dal 2008. Attualmente sto frequentando un corso “parauniversitario” sulla gestione delle strutture ricettive a Rimini.

Sin dalla scuola superiore mi son sempre interessata al settore turistico, il che mi ha portata a proseguire i miei studi in questo campo per poi farne un punto di partenza per un progetto personale, che sarebbe quello di poter contribuire a livello di competenza allo sviluppo del turismo senegalese che ha potenziale tanto quanto molte delle mete più gettonate in giro per il mondo.

Mi son interessata a questo progetto perché mi sembra un ottima possibilità per acquisire nuove conoscenza e un modo per confrontarmi con altre persone e ampliare il mio bagaglio personale (che non basta mai).

Ivana
    Participant
    @ivy98

Salve,

Mi chiamo mi chiamo Ivana EBOGO MESSENG ho 20 anni.Sono nata e cresciuta in Camerun.Lì ho vissuto con mia madre e i miei fratelli ! Sono in Italia dal 2016! Attualmente sto frequentando il corso di laurea in ingegneria energetica presso l’Università di Bologna!

Sono una ragazza appassionata di scienza e  di sviluppo! Essendo cresciuta in un paese dove l’accesso pubblico all’energia elettrica non ha flusso continuo e gestione scarsa sulla distribuzione,  ho fatto di questa problematica il fondamento della mia scelta di carriera : ingegnere energetico! Energetico perché non si rivolge solo all’energia elettrica ma anche su altri settori tecnologici! Il mio paese , l’Africa ha bisogno di esperti tecnologici per sfruttare il suo potenziale ambientale (energie rinnovabili o no) e di non essere più in ritardo!

Mi sono interessata a questo progetto perché è un ottima possibilità per imparare ancora di più! Per scoprire e ispirarsi di tecnologie già fatte,di personne e idee! È sempre bene avere essendo giovani figure esperte per guidarci e consigliarci nelle nostre idee!

Ousmane
    Participant
    @ousmane

Buongiorno,

Mi chiamo DIAKITE Ousmane, vengo dalle Costa-d’Avorio, ho 25 anni. Sono nato e cresciuto li. Sono arrivato in Italie fine 2014, vivo da solo.

Sono arrivato in Italia per diversi motivi che saranno un po lungo da spiegare. Immagino che voi gli sapete o avete un idea, visto che avete avuto il mio contatto dall’UNHCR. Quindi per il momento non posso tornare nel mio paese. Ma nel futuro sicuro è li il nostro futuro, è li il nostro posto. Parlando dell’ UNHCR, partecipo con loro a dei progetti di integrazione sociale ed altri. Sono in collaborazione con altri associazioni.

Studio informatica all’Università degli studi di Torino, sono appassionato del digitale. Non conoscevo questa iniziativa sillicon valley tour, ma visto gli obbiettivi potrebbe essere qualcosa di veramente interessante et stimolante. Perché sappiamo tutti l’idea che si nasconde dietro la sillicon valley.

Per me sarebbe un ottimo esperienza, vediamo. Sulla questione imprenditoriale, oggi è un sogno di ogni giovani. Siamo già tutti pronto come dei predatori aspettando la minima opportunità o ancora di più a crearlo. Non sono le idee che mancano.

Grazie.

DIAKITE Ousmane.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

@kelvinzwennes @ousmane @ivy98 @aminata @rayne92

Ciao ragazzi, molto contento del vostro entusiasmo e grazie per le vostre storie tutte difficili, che meritano di essere aiutate. Io sono diventato il Mentor  dal 2005 di oltre 300 ragazzi-e italiani e non che hanno partecipato al Silicon Valley Study Tour. Nel Tour di agosto conosceremo anche http://www.kiva.org organizzazione da promuovere nei vostri Paesi ( micro loans)

I nostri incontri avranno quasi tutti speaker italiani a parte qualcuno in inglese…che spero tutti voi capite, anche con aiuto dei colleghi!

Speriamo di ricevere il sostegno economico al nostro progetto dal Ministero …lo sapremo a fine maggio.

a presto!! Paolo

Luca Signori
    Participant
    @lucasignori

Hi everyone! How are you? I introduce myself. My name is Luca Signori, I live near Saronno. I work as freelance in web marketing and content management. My passions are travels, books, technology, photography and journalism. Here I manage (and I will managed with Paolo) the “Migrants in Italy to Silicon Valley Study Tour” discussion. First I invite you to put a big like on the Welcomaps page, an online project created with Paolo and other 3 guys. Welcomaps, as you know, is a project to geolocalize the best practices of reception and integration on migrants.

@rayne92
    @kelvinzwennes @ousmane @aminata @ivy98 Thank you very very much for your profile description and for the interesting ideas you have written. I read everything with interest. I’m so happy! A good discussion is born! Keep it alive!

@rayne92
    Well done Rayne! Very good for your commitment in Swaziland to help unlucky children. I’m proud of you! A friend of mine, Irene Ciuci, digital nomad and globetrotter, has been in Uganda and is carrying out a beautiful project with many points in common with yours! If you contact her and ask for information, would be a huge pleasure!
    It’s true: technology can improve life. Look for example here, is a post on Welcomaps page, and it is about Watly, a startup but also a machine that works with solar energy and is able to purify water and bring it to poor countries. Did you know these startup?

@kelvinzwennes
    You are very busy in the welfare area! Great! You are a very smart boy! I am a volunteer: since 2010 I’m blood donor. But, tell me, what do you think of the Silicon Valley Study Tour? Do you like it?

@ousmane
    Ousmane don’t worry! The forum is a space to talk about you and tell us your interest about technology. Yes, in Silicon Valley the world’s largest technology corporations were born and the “sharks” are everywhere, especially in business. But, don’t worry, really! The SVST is a great opportunity to think “outside the box” and visit these companies! Take insights and turn them into business ideas. Think about it!

@aminata
    Excellent idea the Senegal tourism. It would be nice to bring the culture and Senegal traditions here in Italy. I am also very fascinated about tourism. For this I show you 3 ideas and I hope will be useful. The first is IT.A.CA’, a festival about slow and sustainable tourism and it will probably take place in May. The main organizers are from Rimini.
    The second is about tourism startups. Click this link. And the third is this: Progetto Artès, a experiential tourism project. Do you know them?

@ivy98
    Welcome Ivana! I agree with you. Energy is a precious commodity, both electric energy (as you said, energy management in Africa is very complicated) but also people energy is very important. I share with you a project called Off Grid Electric, you find here. Do you know?

So the energy is the value, the power of everything. And it’s also the Silicon Valley Study Tour mood in August, did you know?

Finally two ideas and some questions for you all!

First. Tomorrow is the Internet of Things day, here the link.
    Second. From April 30 to May 3 in New Orleans (Louisiana) will take place one of the most famous tech conferences in the world: the Collison Conference. Do you know? What do you think about it? I’m waiting your comments and opinions. Good night!

See you soon!

Luca

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Migrants in Italy to Silicon Valley Study Tour’ is closed to new replies.