Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Novara Silicon Valley 2019

244 replies, 25 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 5 years ago
  • EDOARDO
    Participant
    @edoardoceffa

Good evening everyone!!

I completely agree with both the ideas of Benedetta and Eunice, about the leak of security and safety in social networks and the problems with our private data due to it.

I’d like to share with you a very interesting new Police Organism created 2 years ago in Novara that tries to resolve, prevent, sensibilize , dissuade and sanction behaviors of mistreatment and violence on gender or minors, but also vandalism and condominium conflicts.

Promotion and training in city schools (or where required) through the organization of educational and training meetings “As already happens at the request of institutions, teachers and even groups of young people”.

Social networks are certainly very useful tools but it is necessary to know how to use them and above all to know all the pitfalls. Especially when it comes to minors. There are hundreds of millions of users on platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and you never know for sure who hides behind the profile.

Moreover, there’s the Dark Web, the dark side of the Web.

Reading the article shared by Luca,

I was terribly impressed by how easy it is to get sensitive data from anyone and sell them for the cost of a coffee, for a turnover of $ 600 million, all in untraceable cryptocurrencies. Data come from credit cards and current accounts, photos, images, videos that we want to share with the social and other people.

All this must lead us to the idea of prevention, or better, the culture of prevention, as written in the article shared by Eunice, “Every attack leaves digital traces, just as it happens on any other crime scene”. The analysis of these traces allows you to put in place appropriate countermeasures.

On June 19, 2017, the Council of the European Union adopted the “Cyber Diplomacy Toolbox” which, once approved, will be able to coordinate the activities of the “Cyber Diplomacy Toolbox”. Response from the EU Member States in the event of cyber attacks. This Framework also provides for the possibility for States, including any forms of response, that if under attack, can exercise their “inherent right of individual or collective self-defense”.

These challenges are extremely important. The possibility that we can react with the armed force to a cyberattack seems to be increasingly concrete as a response to the continued tensions at the international level that see an ever-increasing use of cyberspace as an offensive means.

There are several categories of threats that can affect states and in doctrine are distinguished according to the impact they have and the objectives they pursue: Hacktivism, Cybercriminality, Cyberspionage, Cyberterrorism, Cyberwar are the main examples. The cyber war, given the relevance of information systems on the country system today, some authors believe that it must be compared to the other three forms of war that traditionally make up the subject as the terrestrial war, the maritime war and the air war.

What do you guys think about it?

Eunice Curreri
    Participant
    @eunicecurreri

Hi everyone,

Regarding Trump’s new strategy, this is quite similar to other two documents, already developed; one regulated by Obama in 2009 (Cyberspace Policy Review) and another one by Bush in 2003 (National strategy to secure cyberspace), all with the purpose to solve and fight the problem of cyberattacks, through the increase of critical infrastructure and the help of private sectors, creating a system to share information about the possible threats of the Web.

I consider, although, the process of consensus too much important to be eliminated, because some regulations exist precisely to protect ourselves and our personal data. I mean, the process is quite slow, often it’s like that with the application of the law, but it gives the time to Governments to verify the source of the cyberattack, becoming more experts to face the trouble; hackers often act on political and economic websites using third-party devices, also from different countries, so it becomes more difficult find who was behind the attack itself.

Acting in a reckless and impulsive way like that of this new strategy is a risk, because this could have an opposite effect, triggering new attacks instead to stop them. In fact there’s no prove or evidence that preventives, unwise and offensives actions help to reduce this problem, so attack before being attacked doesn’t create a deterrent effect, but it could cause just retaliatory breaches.

Concluding, in my opinion a better strategy should focus on more security computer’s system, also investing money, time and energy in order  to testing periodically their power to avoid attacks online,  and to making continuous updates.

Good night!

Marianna Liguori
    Participant
    @marieanl

Hi guys,

All of you had some really good points about cyber security.

Even being extremely careful with our passwords, what we share on social media, what we download, every computer, tablet and cellphone still keeps and tracks not only our information, but other people’s email names, addresses, birthdates, etc.

Regarding what Edoardo wrote, using the military in such a role has for sure some pros. Very often militaries provide nations’ national signal intelligence, and as such, the information that underpins the most sophisticated cyber operations. More generally, militaries are mission-oriented: they are often better resourced than other arms of government; and they are structured to develop the personnel required.

However, since cyber threats are proliferating at a dramatic rate, cybersecurity will need to be a discipline that everyone in a country takes seriously, not just something that citizens and private companies can expect to outsource to the military. Any country that depends too heavily on the military for cybersecurity will likely find itself reducing the incentives for the private sector to develop longer-term solutions.

Secondly, we have the risk of militarizing a major new aspect of domestic security. In order to achieve truly effective cyber security it is necessary to be permanently operating on the defended systems. Few private sector companies are likely to welcome such hands-on assistance from the military, not least because they may well feel that they are better placed to defend their own networks.

Do you think it would be a good idea?

Linda
    Participant
    @farinellolinda

Hi guys,

I read all about this topic and I agree with everyone’s thoughts.

Like every social, Facebook has its advantages and disadvantages. I consider this situation not so much a disadvantage but a worrying and dangerous thing. We use social network everyday without thinking about consequences we can meet just sharing, posting photo or inserting our data. For us this actions are innocuous but hacker use this key data for their own purposes. Moreover I agree when you said that pay the fined doesn’t repair the injuries. It’s true. Unfortunately facebook thought to solve and deepen the situation when it’s too late and the damage has been done.

About trump’s new strategy, it’s important that the Federal Governament do its part to ensure USA has the best cyber security in the world. But unlike Obama, who forced the army to consult the State Departement, the intelligence community, and other agencies before conducting a cyber attack, trump gives the military more freedom to act. I agree with Eunice because this strategy will bring cyber attacks to escalate rather than shrink, increasing dangers on net.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Linda.
    Valentina
    Participant
    @20019539studenti-uniupo-it

Hello guys!

I’m agree with all of you about our privacy on the web. It’s better to spend more time to read before “to accept” and to think it’s right every moment a content about our life, to share photos and above all share their position. Facebbok system (to name one randomly) is paid to collect a whole series of our data, between our preferences, connection hours, position .. we don’t have much in our power, the only thing we can do it’s to pay more attention to what we do.

Regarding the cyber atttack to US, I’m agree with Eunice. The US government should pay much more attention to this problem so as not to count on future problems on the financial system. I don’t know if you have already heard the news, but I would like to share a video of Bloomberg about the recent Chinese computer attack.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-10-04/what-is-known-about-china-s-cyber-attack-on-u-s-video

Have a nice day!!!!!

Eunice Curreri
    Participant
    @eunicecurreri

Hello guys,

I totally agree with Marianna about the fact that each country, if too dependent on military for cybersecurity risks to reduce the incentives for private companies – specialized in solving this trouble – to find some alternatives solutions and long-term’s security system.

About the recent Chinese computer attack I consider Valentina’s link interesting, and I would like to add that just Apple has apologized to Chinese users; in fact some customers have seen their Apple IDs stolen from hackers. This fact caused inconvenience to some customers (but “just a small number of users’ accounts” said the Company) by these phishing scam, which took some account details from people. Apple said that users affected were not using two-factor authentication, as if only this thing could have avoid the thefts, I have  to say!

They said that hackers didn’t steal so much account, but it seems that at one point the scam was too extended to induce Apple to close temporarily some stores, because there was a big quantity of fraudulent warranty claims. This let me think that maybe the number of account stolen wasn’t  so little.

In conclusion, I would like to create a <b>new topic:</b> what do you think about the new Google’s announce to start charging handset producers to install Gmail, Google Maps and other popular applications for Android in the EU? This is a consequence to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) about online privacy adopted in our countries from the 25th May. Ever more companies to do their business in Europe are adding new data-protection policies, in order to restrict and reduce how people are traced across the internet.

In the US also some members of Congress and the Federal Trade Commission are speaking more favorably of stricter supervisions of online platforms like Facebook and Google.

Have a good day!

Eunice

Sara Catto
    Participant
    @sarac

Hello everybody,

very interesting article, thank you Luca, and about this I want to spend two words: it’s scandalous!!!

When I opened my Facebook profile I found this platform where I could chat with my friends, post photos and videos and share my ideas, opinions and questions with a lot of people; without talking about the fact that you can find your old friends who have changed city or school and you lost sign of them. After, you saw that 50 milion of profiles were hacked and these informations have been sold on the dark web for 3 dollars!!!

Fortunately, I read in an article published by “IlTempo.it” that Facebook draw up a list of important changes to avoid the repetition of a similar theft. I think that Facebook understood that better safe than sorry.

Here the link of the article: https://www.iltempo.it/esteri/2018/04/05/news/scandalo-facebook-cambridge-analytica-privacy-utenti-italiani-zuckerberg-congresso-1059272/

And in conclusion I agree with Stefano because money should be spent in a different and better way like to improve cybersecurity to avoid theft like these.

Sara

Selene
    Participant
    @selene

Good evening,

I’ve just read an interesting article about Trump new strategy, in my opinion,is correct to want to defend national security from cyber crime.

We need to learn from the example that United States offer us, and from the China Internet Security Law. Internet must be safe, in any way possible, especially when, like USA, the transport of oil and natural gas is entrusted by ships.

There are a lot of areas at stake to allow the cyber crime takes over but there are also so many tricks and measures to avoid it, an example is the capture of cyber criminal living abroad or the cryptography in the trasmission of informations.

The most salient point in this document, I suppose, is counter malign cyber influence and information operations, Trump calls for the collaboration of civil society, national companies, foreign partners and the academic world to hinder information campaigns aimed at economic, social and political deterioration of the country.

What about it?

Selene

Sara Catto
    Participant
    @sarac

Hi Selene and hi everybody.

I read the article and this new Trump’s strategy it’s an example for a lot of countries: 26 pages rich in a series of directions for the fight against cybercrime and the raising of national security. In this document, it’s rilevant the reinforcement with the “cybersecurity contractor”, the companies and the structures that work for public institutions, which must guarantee elevated quality standards in term of security.

So thank you Trump, and for the other countries: “let’s copy the idea” (only this idea).   Are you agree with me?

Sara

Linda
    Participant
    @farinellolinda

Hi Eunice,

Google decides to change its previous business model witch allowed manufacturers install for free Google popular mobile apps on phone with Android operation system.The company decides to start charging smartphone markers to pre-install its apps as a result of a $5 billion antitrust fine imposed by EU. It has been payed because google had abused market dominance of Android to mantein its dominant position. This news concern device manufacturers but individual users too.

Android is always been a great Apple competitor. Google giving away its open source operating system resulted in cheaper phones.

Therefore my thought is that charging its apps will lead to an increase of selling price of the phones. Personally I prefer, as a operating system, IOS because I don’t find Android system easy to use, then in my opinion it will lead Android to an unfavourable position compared to the previous one.

It’s also true that smartphone makers will be able to install rival modified of Android or sell device with Android but without google’s apps installed (they will be provided with licens). But also in this case it will be in a disadvantageous position because won’t offer the same previous opportunities.

What’s your opinion?

Good night

Benedetta
    Participant
    @benedettasavoini

Hi everyone!

As a result of Google being fined for breaking antitrust laws, I have to admit most of Android’s smartphones customers won’t be happy to hear about this at all, because the price of their devices, if they want them to have Gmail or Google Play Store installed, will definitely increase. And I think the majority of us will require those pre-installed apps: who doesn’t use a Gmail account daily? Who exactly knows which road to take without Google Maps’ voice telling him to turn right and then take the second left? Honestly, I’ve got absolutely no sense of direction.

And for these very reasons I think Google’s services will remain immensely popular. I take the view that something we can’t do without it’s also something worth paying for. We are sadly used to take for granted that certain things such as apps, music and movies have to be free. I am more than happy to pay for my favorite band’s new album, because I am aware of the work that’s behind it and of the sweat and time they put into it.

But back to us: I also think it’s objective to recognize that these are markets where competition law is really important because of its tendency to change fast. Already in the 2000s Microsoft has been heavily fined for dominance in the PC market and the responsible, at the time, was its own internet browser (yes, we are talking about Microsoft Explorer). It will surprise you, but at the time the new-born Google was one of the companies to complain about Microsoft’s practices!

I want to conclude with a sentence that, at the time, the EU Competition Commissioner Mario Monti said: “Dominant companies have a special responsibility to ensure that the way they do business doesn’t prevent competition and does not harm consumers and innovation.”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Benedetta.
    Benedetta
    Participant
    @benedettasavoini

Errata corrige: *their tendency to change fast!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Benedetta.
    Eunice Curreri
    Participant
    @eunicecurreri

Hi Linda and hi everyone,

Personally, like you, I prefer the IOS’ operating system, I tried once to use a tablet with Android but it was quite complicated for me. I know that most of the people which use electronic devices, once starting with an operating system, rarely will change; I never had a telephone with Android and I think I’ll never have. By the way I have to admit, in favor of Android, that Apple is like a “private club”, because there’s a specific way to upload file, music or photos on IPhone, there are some things you can only do with people who use IOS, there also a dedicated cable and special headphones like airpods! But it’s a choice, good or bad that is.

I agree with you about the fact that Android will surely be in a disadvantageous position, but as Benedetta said, if there is something we can’t do without maybe it’s right to pay, and furthermore, handset producers will be able to choose between three different options. From the 29<sup>th</sup> October the manufacturers will have the possibility to sell phones with open-source version (free and without Play Store), a basic package with apps like Gmail, YouTube or Maps except Chrome (but only with a specific license), and finally the actual offer for free.

There’s also to say that Apple devices aren’t so cheap, so I think that who prefers to use a specific operating system will probably pay in every case to have it. Phone it’s something we use every day, and I don’t want to go mad every second for a system I don’t like.

In conclusion this is not surely the first time that Google is fined and has issues with the law , like other famous companies (just today has emerged that Ebay sued Amazon for a supposed not politically correct behavior with a campaign to poach sellers), this just to remind that competition law is something really important, especially in business like these.

Also, Google appealed the European Commission’s decision, so if the big company will prevail – but we’ll know within a few years – it could revert to bundling its free services.

Have a good day!

Eunice

Matilde Trevisan
    Participant
    @mati18

Good morning!

I read an article to reflect on topics covered: Trump vs Google, Facebook and Twitter.

Trump has developed an executive order that would instructs the US antitrust authorities to investigate if any online platform has acted in violation of antitrust laws the aim is to protect competition between online platforms and to face prejudice.

Facebook and Twitter have long been targeted by Conservatives for perceived liberal bias regarding how they moderate their platforms, with Facebook having come under fire two years ago for alleged censoring of right-wing news sources in its trending topics feature, which has since been removed from the site.

Since than, Facebook has often been accused of censoring conservatives on its platform, though any concrete evidence on the practice remains virtually nonexistent.

Once again, he would changes his tack.

Matilde

EDOARDO
    Participant
    @edoardoceffa

Hi guys how are you?

First of all, I would like to thank Eunice for the new idea regarding data protection and the fine against Google and its methods for consolidating the domain of its search engine.

The EU Commission had already imposed a fine of € 2.42 billion on Google because it abused its dominant position in search engines, giving an illegal advantage to its shopping comparison service. But the new fine for Google by the EU Commission was the highest ever imposed. The search engine, which has managed to dodge the Brussels charges, will have to pay 4.3 billion euros for abusing the dominant position of its Android operating system. In 2016 Google was formally accused of having forced smartphone makers, such as Samsung or Huawei, to pre-install Google Search and set it as a default or exclusive search app. Google has offered financial incentives to manufacturers and mobile network operators as long as they only install Google Search on their devices.

However, as far as data protection and Android and IOS systems are concerned, I can tell you about my experience.

I’ve had and still have both Android and IOS devices, and although IOS is more intuitive and its policy of sharing everything easily only between Apple devices is comfortable and that you create a sort of Club, I would choose Android and I’ll explain why .

An Android device is much easier to customize, there are also many free apps that allow you to create a phone or a tablet really yours. I also find the “share” function of Android very important, in practice since it can share everything with everyone, starting from word files to power point presentations to images and even entire apps. The maps give not only directions about the route but also about traffic, connections to public transport, everything through Google Now, based on your location. In addition with the expandable memory and a cloud (even if paid to enlarge its capacity) I find it easier to transfer documents, files, and much more to pen drives.

True, however, is that the Android system does not enjoy great security and protection of the system and data: compared to a device with IOS system is easier to encounter viruses and this can do para, but the new devices on Google Play allow you to download some apps for control and protection of sensitive data and not only (although there are fake app of this type), so like real Antivirus. In addition, the new operating systems allow you to have a “Private Part” where you can place restrictions on each field and on the access of each app.

In fact, the databases for storing user data of thousands of applications for Android and iOS, managed through the Google Firebase cloud platform, are not properly protected, exposing over 100 million records of data to prying eyes. We must also pay attention to those absolutely legitimate apps but published by developers so “distracted”, who “forget” to use the necessary security measures to prevent any possible attack or intrusion.

We should therefore always consider the opportunity to encrypt files and data shared over the Internet.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 245 total)
  • The topic ‘Novara Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.