Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 6 years, 10 months ago
  • PietroEBMgt
    Participant
    @pietromarenco

Hi Guys, thank you so much for your thoughful contributions to the post on networking. I am happy you did not take the thing of looking for evidence too seriously, still you made some research to get informed šŸ™‚ In my view there’s no right or wrong answer, just learnings and experiences that can be great inputs for discussion.

Defining networkingā€¦.

As @lorenzobersano @federicolandorno @foreversin pointed out, networking is about helping others. People at the University of Michigan thought that too stating that ā€œthe goal of building networks is to contribute to othersā€ Wayne Baker (2000, p. 70), and the great Adam Grant in his book Give and Take says helping others is the way forward to success (TED Talk). This view opposes to a more selfish way of exploiting others for personal interest.

In fact, I believe effective networking behavior involves developing trusting relationships (@fabioceresa) with others: when we help people by providing information, advice, support, friendship and resources we build a foundation for further interaction. How do we get things back? Psychologists call this the norm of reciprocity: by helping others, one is more likely to receive help in return.

In this framing, the three keywords to build trust are benevolence (the quality of being well meaning; kindness), ability (possession of the means or skill to do something), and integrity (the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles) (@fabioceresa).

Good resources:

Baker, W. E. (2000). Achieving success through social capital: Tapping the hidden resources in your personal and business networks.

Adam Grant (2014). Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success.

Listing some motives and benefits of networkingā€¦.

In my experience, networking is a career competence that is crucial for early careers. By interacting with people Iā€™ve had the chance to ask myself who I am, and who I want to become (@lorenzobersano).. It helped me evolving (@leonardo @filippogalli), both personally and professionally wise. Networking is about knowledge sharing, but a latent feature of networking as a dynamic interaction between people with common interests, is that it helps developing numerous career competences, on top of which stand: the knowing why, knowing how, and knowing whom competencies.

Inkson and Arthur (2001) discuss these career competencies, which I find incredibly meaningful as people frame themselves through this lens:

First, the knowing-why competency refers to an individualā€™s career identity. People who have developed this competency understand what gives them purpose in their working lives and how they would like to expend their energies. Such knowledge provides them with a greater sense of what types of jobs would be more appealing to them and satisfy their needs and values.

Second, the knowing-how competency refers to an individualā€™s human capitalā€” that is, the past investments that he or she may have made. Human capital includes a personā€™s past work experiences, education, training, skills, and abilities. Thatā€™s a big part of what we bring to the table when it comes to negotiating job offers.

Third, the knowing-whom competency refers to oneā€™s social capital. This represents the resources available to a person within his or her network of contacts, is built through networking, and is critical for career success. Whom an individual knows can provide numerous benefits, as social capital extends to the contacts of the other person. That is, a person may gain not only from information provided by a contact but also by those people who are part of the contactā€™s network.

Besides these competencies, research shows networking to be a powerful tool for career advancement within organizations. Those people who build networks with strong ties, and put effort in cultivating such relationships, turn out to have better careers.. a surely a lot more.

Good reading:

Inkson, K., & Arthur, M. B. (2001). How to be a successful career capitalist.

Providing a blueprint for effective networking…..

In my view the most tricky part of networking is how to do itā€¦ Especially if one aims to build networks with people who have high standing in organizations, whom might be of tremendous help in developing the knowing why-how-whom competencies. I consider crucial at this stage of the career building at least two trustful relationships with adults, people who can be mentors, give advice and support, as well as access to connections and opportunities. I think what we might be undervaluing is the very fact that older people might be happy to help, if we just put effort to learn what help are we seeking for, how to access them effectively, and how to cultivate the relationship in a mature way.

Provided that networking effectively is also about sharing knowledge, researchers at IBM Institute of Knowledge Management have identified four features that distinguished effective relationships: 1) valuing what other know; 2) having access to them; 3) having them actively engage in problem solving; and 4) having a sufficiently safe relationship to ask important questions. Let me sum it up:

Knowledge. People turn to contacts for information because they consider those people knowledgeable in relation to some aspect of the problem they are facing (implies seemingly accurate understanding of what oneā€™s contacts know). Two ways: seek people for specific knowledge they have due to technical skills; seek people for their ability to think through an issue.

Access. Helpfulness depends on the contactā€™s willingness to make oneself accessible in a timely manner. Here, how to gain access to someone elseā€™s thinking should be foreseen, and is a feature of the relationship that makes it successful. Understanding a personā€™s response style and what medium is most effective for establishing contact is the means by which granting successful access.

Engagement. Effective contacts tap for knowledge willingly and actively engage in problem solving with the person asking for help. Two steps: people would first ensure that they understood the other personā€™s problem and then actively shape what they knew to the problem at hand. In this sense, energies are better spent attending to the sender of knowledge, rather than the acquirer. This means, the more clear the problem is to you, the more likely you will get the right person willing to help you.

Safety. asking for information can require the requestor to have some degree of trust in the other person. Trust shapes the extent to which individuals will be forthcoming about their lack of knowledge and concerns. People must not be afraid to admit their own ignorance. The advantages of trust when one engages in problem solving is that of more learning value, and more creativity over taking risks with ideas (more creative solutions), as people feel safe to make mistakes.

Very good readings:

Cross, (2001). Knowing what we know: Supporting knowledge creation and sharing in social networks.

Ragins (2016). From the ordinary to the extraordinary: High-quality mentoring relationships at work.

Now Iā€™d love to share stories where this things are seen on practice, but wonā€™t make this post a poem. If youā€™ve stories to share, take the lead and I will be happy to follow šŸ™‚

As @foreversin wisely reflected, start networking before you need it, because networking is a competence one should be aware of practicing in order to unleash all the benefits and meaning it can offer.

Cheers guys, hope you found stimulating hints to learn more and more šŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by PietroEBMgt.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by PietroEBMgt.
    Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Sorry to enter in this cool discussion with a announce.

Follow live on Facebook Confindustria Genova page, tomorrow morning 8 am conference of Saverio Murgia, Engineer from UNIGE , SVST 2014.

The young story of Eyra and its technology for blind people Horus, born after the SVST,Ā  is amazing and only at the beginning.
    If you cannot follow live streaming, from friday afternoon or monday, you could follow recorded on Confindustria Genova Coffetech page ( cool event, all fridays, since 4 months)

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all, happy to announce our retreat in Milano , Bicocca UniversityĀ  U6 Building , Room 01B,Ā  Piazza dell’Ateneo Nuovo 1 ( Bus 87 from the right side of Stazione Centrale)

May , Friday 19. Ā  Agenda:

2,30 pm Welcome by Bicocca people

2,40-4,30 Roberto Bonzio http://www.italianidifrontiera.comĀ  Inspiring talk . Roberto, out of the box journalist,Ā  is the guide of Italiani di Frontiera Silicon Valley Tours held since 2011 for 200 managers and entrepreneurs

4,30- 7 Paolo Marenco introduction to all the City teams : Torino, Novara, Castellanza, Milano, Trento,Ā  Bolzano, Padova, Genova. Every team will introduce the attendees one by one, the actual status of their participation ( Crowdfunding, Tech Scouting, other ) . Sinergies among teams, Q&A.

Tour Program Presentation, useful things to know going to Silicon Valley and California ( for those who add to the SVST vacation time)

It’s only the second time we do such retreat, thanks to Bicocca!, I think will be great for mutual knowledge and sharing programs and ideas!

(language will be ItalianĀ  šŸ˜‰

Mavy
    Participant
    @mavy

Hello everyone, I’m mavy and i’m one of the participants of svst2016 and i’m also one of the ConnecTO Silicon valley cofounders. Unfortunately i wasn’t at the conference In DiUnito, but i want to say to you just a things: you are sooooo lucky to participate in this A M A Z I N G ADVENTURE! You’ll really love Silicon valley, you’ll really love the people who you’ll meet and everything and every person that you will know!

So enjoy SVST and good luck for everything!

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all,

theĀ  hotel address necessary to obtainĀ  ESTA VISA is:

Comfort Inn

El Camino Real 1818 ,

Redwood City,Ā  CA 94063

Anonymous
    Inactive
    @

Hi everyone, I’am an Sv study tour guy, cna someone write me how you areĀ funding the trip? giovanni.toso@studenti.unitn.it

Thanks Giovanni

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

https://www.facebook.com/events/1686889098273359/Ā  here we are , we go on with our meeting from 4,30 to 7 pm

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all. About May 19 in Bicocca Milan.

Federico Landorno, Lorenzo Bersano and Riccardo Ferrero Regis have already signed for presence. For us is very important to know if the absence in Milan is “Not Participation to the Tour”, or just busy day.

Please confirm presence on FacebookĀ  iBicocca page.

Our reunion for SVST 2017Ā  will start at 4,30pmĀ  after Roberto Bonzio inspirationalĀ  talk, so you can also arrive at that time, in case of need. Conclusion will be 7 pm.

We’ll discuss the work in progress for funding the tour of every city group, share experiences, give advices and links. Open discussion.

see u there!

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

I wrote that i’m interested because i don’t know yet if i’m going to the tour.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

Same here… I’m probably going to the tour, but ill not be able to be there for the presentation…

Adriano Fontanari
    Participant
    @adrianofontanari

Hi there!

I am Adriano, we met last Friday at Bicocca.

I am going to buy the ticket to SV. Before doing that, I would like to know if there is someone who would like to buy the ticket and travel with me.

If yes, send me a message.

Thank you,

Adriano

Marta Pancaldi
    Participant
    @martapancaldi

Hello everybody!
    WithĀ the permission of Paolo, I thought it would be a good idea to create a group on Facebook to discuss our amazing SV Tour.
    During our meeting in Milan, I saw that many of you have already purchased a flight ticket and, for those who are still searching for flight options, this could be a good opportunity to find a “travel companion” šŸ™‚
    Also, since many of us are coming to San Francisco a few days earlier, this group may help us find a common accommodation, so that we can stay and explore the city together šŸ™‚

The group is (obviously) called “Silicon Valley Study Tour 2017” and you’ll find it at this address:Ā https://www.facebook.com/groups/1416433395090723/
    Feel free to join it and somebody will grant you the access.

Meanwhile, good luck to everybody for the upcoming exam session! šŸ˜€

Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.