Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Trento Silicon Valley 2019

38 replies, 7 voices Last updated by  Michele Baldo 1 month ago
  • Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco
    Here we are for the 3rd year running to select students from Trento University to attend  the  SVST august 2019.The selection will be made according the discussion here and yr Linkedin page within April 2019

The next Tour will be the first for Students , managers  entrepreneurs professor and researchers.

After years of distinct Tours we understood that mixing the age and experience of attendees is a great value for both.

The goal is multiply the SVST 2018 effects that we can synthetise as follow:

1- 37 attendees students in Italian Universities coming from 8 different countries, with 16 female the largest number ever.

2 – Three month  interships  each after the SVST:  for 3 Business students from Trento University- Stefania Tibiletti–  in Cloud4wi ,  and Piemonte Orientale University, two guys in A3-Cube

3- Mix  students with managers and professionals attending together the Tour, to extend the effect seen in August 2018 among  Generale Francesco Vestito, Head of Cyber Security task of Ministero della Difesa and Captain Giuseppe Cannatà- the minds and arm of Cyber Range in progress in Chiavari- Luca Barigione manager of Postel in Genova, attending the Tour with University students. Great mentorship of the senior attendees to the juniors happened during the Tour.

4- Five Meetings  in Italy after the Tours, early September,  among Silicon Valley company CEO ( Peaxy, Hytrust) and companies like Ansaldo Energia, ABB, Cetena. This in the frame of improving Italy- Silicon Valley relations for business.

5- A book ” Tra Italia e Silicon Valley. I migranti tech dal 2000 al 2018″ written by 60 Italians in Silicon Valley to tell their story. The book will be given before the Tour to the attendees  of SVST 2019, as an unique information base.

Are you a student or a manager entrepreneur interested to join the SVST 2019 Tour?

introduce yourself here!

We are happy to lauch this discussion Forum with the report written by Pavia University student Lara Princivalle, great attendee of SVST 2015, that worked in Trento

Lorenzo Daidone
    @lorenzodaidone

Hi everybody!

I’m Lorenzo Daidone, I attended the Silicon Valley Study Tour this summer. This experience changed my life and my career.
    I would like to share with you my crowdfunding story. When I was selected to partecipate in the experience I was really excited but I wasn’t able to pay it…but in the end I went to California!

For many of you the crowdfunding way could be a good opportunity.

How did I do? Find out more at: https://youtu.be/eY5UxCM_Ras

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Ready for the Trento SVST Presentation…March 19…leaflet coming soon

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Michele Baldo
    Participant
    @michelebaldo

Hi guys,

I’m Michele Baldo, I’m currently studying Computer Science at University of Trento and I’m also a student of School of Innovation of Trento.

I always wanted to change the world and contribute in building the future. Since I was a kid I was curious about innovation and tech and I love build new things and make big creative changes. So what best start for an Entreprenership profile? Entrepreneurs change the world by starting something crazy, a product or a service which satisfy a need of some people and customers, beliving in a better world and leading people and the society toward the future. That’s why I choose to be on the front line and pursue this difficult but amazing journy.

So, I started with StartUp Lab last year, a great experience that helped me to see the world of startups in a different way, understanding the customers, the needs and the big machine of a young company. There is where we started to develop an idea for a service and later I continued with Bootstrap, an entrepreneurial course hold by “HIT – Hub Innovazione Trentino” to develop and build a stratup. Both courses gave us the opportunity to pitch our ideas to investors and helped us to develop soft skills and meeting amazing people.

I never let an opportunity run away and Silicon Valley Study Tour is one of those experience which I’m already looking forward to jumping on board. I will be realy glad to take part at the SVST 2019. I’m sure this experience could have a positive impact on our business and life. Meeting many fellows entrepreneurs with innovative ideas, seeing amazing companies and listening to extraordinary stories and experiences, will help us to build a better future and will be a key experience in the education of young entrepreneurs who want to be on the front line in changing and innovating the world for a better future.

I’m looking forward to hearing an sharing other amazing stories and profiles, let’s keep in touch, my LinkedIn profile is https://www.linkedin.com/in/michele-baldo/

Michele Baldo
    Participant
    @michelebaldo

We all know Elon Musk and his ambitious goals. He’s a visionary but not only that, he’s making real his visions. Although his amazing talent, as all visionary people sometimes they don’t take seriously some aspects of the real world, constantly beliving in a better one and living virtually in the future. The conseguences of this beavoiur are big innovating companies, as we knok, but also some trouble with the existing frameworks, parties and regulations. One particolar exaple of this is the issue with the SEC, which costed both Tesla and Musk $20 million in fine each and loosing the position of chairman. To make matters worse, Elon is still in trouble with SEC because his recent tweet of 19th February 2019 where he stated Tesla would built half a million cars in 2019 ( https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1098013283372589056 ) and SEC accused him of violating the terms of settlement agreement with such tweet ( https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-sec-settlement-twitter-contempt-2019-2 ). The problem with all this mess is that regulation made from SEC are seen from Elon’s prospective as silly and a limitation of his freedom of speech. Now he is in an open fight with SEC and he clearly said in an interview he has no respect for the SEC by saying, “I want to be clear. I do not respect the SEC.” and posting silly memes showing he can do whatever he want with is twitter account (as this one https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1100184323267940353 of 26th of February or the one of today https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1103221573127827456 ).
    On the other hand, the SEC has a three-part mission: to protect investors; maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets; and facilitate capital formation. If the CEO of a company start acting crazy on social media and giving any kind of news he want just because he can is a trouble for investors and stakeholders who belive in the company. The CEO role is not a game. A lot of people lifes depend on the success of a company. Employees, customers, supliers, investors and many others. The ecosystem is complex and bigger than we would istinctively think. Being a CEO is a role with big responsabilities. That’s why each action should be carefully planed and any post on social media should be checked before publishing. It’s okay if there is a strategy behind, but just posting random or impulsive things could be really dangeous not only for the market or the company but also for all those people that rely on it, and they are a lot.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Michele Baldo.
    Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

good Michele…attend our meeting in Trento on  March 19th!

Michele Baldo
    Participant
    @michelebaldo

Sure, I’ll be there!

Andrea Guccione
    Participant
    @andrea-guccione

Hello everybody,

I am Andrea Guccione. I am currently attending the third year of the Bachelor’s degree course in Economics and Management at the University of Trento and I will graduate in the next July. Being part of the SVST 2019 in August would be the best graduation gift I could ever dream of.

I am particularly keen on entrepreneurship and innovation and while attending university courses I have been taking part in several projects in order to improve my managerial and business skills. For istance, last year I joined IXL Innovation Olympics – Trento and my team won the first prize.

I have just attended the SVST presentation tonight at CLab and I have been very impressed by the Alumni speeches. They talked about SVST as a life-changing opportunity and convinced me to try to take part of the next edition. So i decided to sign up and start participating in this forum in order to show my motivation and determination in joining the tour.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Michele Baldo
    Participant
    @michelebaldo

Hi Andrea, it’s nice to hear from you. I totally agree about the presentation tonight, it was amazing and inspiring!!
    Seeing pictures, videos and hearing about the stunning stories of the SVST Alumni’s experiences made us even more excited to partecipate!!

Andrea Guccione
    Participant
    @andrea-guccione

I have just read the article about Elon Musk and the SEC.

Apart from the legal consequences of his declarations, I think that Elon Musk’s provocative statement about taking Tesla private drew attention to the trouble of a public company. We usually take into account only the benefits, but going public has a lot of costs too. Being a public company in fact entails a lot of constraints and accomplishments. Public companies have to make certain sorts of information public, most importantly they have to report quarterly earnings. As a consequence, they are exposed to market volatility and to the shareholders’ shortermism, at the expense of the firm’s long-term plans. This is what Elon Musk complains about. And he is not the only one raising concerns about public markets.

The number of listed firms in the USA has declined in recent decades. One reason comes from the demand side of capital markets, that is the high costs of being a public company in terms of compliances. On the other hand, this decline is also due to changes to the supply side of the market. Nowadays, companies seeking to finance their growth have a lot of opportunities to do it, not only the security market. Private equity firms, venture capital firms, sovereign wealth funds, hedge funds and pension founds have been creating big pools of private capital for firms to draw on.

If a company can access this diverse world of financing, maybe there is no point in going public, taking into account what it entails.
    I think Elon Musk’s statements should make us think about that.

Michele Baldo
    Participant
    @michelebaldo

Yes Andrea, you are right: public market is a trouble and should be reinvented. The problem is that now most of the economy depends on it and it would be very dangerous to drop it all at once to create a completely new one. That’s the reason why the public market is a highly regulated market, because there are a lot of problems with going public and to mitigate them and avoid fraud the current solution is to patch those problems with rules.

Private equity is rising and it offers huge opportunities for us startuppers, but it is not an alternative to public market, it’s rather a shortcut to reach it faster. Investors want their investment to be profitable, so when they invest in startups as private investors they have three main options to have a return on that investment: the first is to give their equity to another bigger investor (who will recursively have the same three options); the second is to sell the company to a bigger one,; and the third is to “go public”. Thus, this strategy will converge towards public companies. That’s why private equity is not yet an alternative of public market: big companies are still bounded to it.

Going back to Musk’s case, I would like to add another consideration. We can catch a glimpse of a marketing strategy in his actions.

Elon Musk is very smart and he’s not acting just crazy as he wants us to believe. So we can guess he is doing all this mess for a reason and what he is doing is just part of a bigger strategy. On 6th February 2018 he lunched a Tesla car in the space ( https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2018/02/06/spacex-falcon-heavy-launch/310431002/ ). The purpose of that was having people talking about it and rising Tesla’s brand awareness. Thus we can find the same reason in Twitter, it’s just another creative way to make people talk about him and his companies.

This is a strong marketing strategy used in the internet-era and it has been used in many other cases – for example Trump used this strategy as well in his election’s campaign. The strategy is simple: the only thing that matters is that people talk about you. No matter what they say or think, you’ll convince them later, you just want them to talk about you and your companies, because you can not convince someone who doesn’t even know that you exist, so first you need to be sure that everyone knows that you exist and give them material to talk about you.

It seems Musk is using exactly this strategy. The only thing he wants is people talking about him and his companies. He wants people to know that they exist, that they do what others are not willing to do and that they know they are changing the world.

There are also some elements which support this theory. Tesla is not doing any big advertisement and Tesla have very little budget for marketing. That’s seem impossible for a company like Tesla, with a market capitalization double of FCA and more than half of Volkswagen. So, if they don’t spend money on ads how are they building brand awareness? That’s the point, Musk found alternative ways to build the brand awareness and every action made by him it’s part of his marketing strategy, from sending cars in the space to posting provoking tweets.

Summing up everything, there are a lot of clue to say that every action of Elon Musk is meticulously planned and not just random as everyone would think.

Marcus Vukojevic
    Participant
    @marcusvukoejvic

Hi guys! Nice meeting you. I’m new here so I’ll start by introducing myself a little bit. My name is Marcus Vukojevic and (as @michelebaldo) I study Computer Science and attend the School of Innovation. I’m a problem solver, so I like creating new ideas or products that can benefit people lives. I did many entrepreneurial projects and i’m very hungry to do more and more of this stuff!! So i took part at Startify7 in Poland and won the Nasa World Wind Challenge in the same year(Link if you are curious http://www.startify7.eu/ , https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/). Then last year i participated at the Start-Up Lab in Trento(really great experience, give it a try!) and now i’m currently involved in the School of Innovation and a project from “Fondazione Homo Ex Machina”.

So why am i here? I want to participate because i think that this is the best opportunity to expand my network and get a “first league” experience by learning how and what the BIG players of the market are doing. I want to make new friends, compare new ideas and thoughts for a better future! Do i have the money for this adventure? Of course not. Do i really want to go? I’ll go even if i have to swim across the Atlantic Ocean!

Done with introductions, and if you are interested or you have any question/ideas, i’ll leave you here my LinkedIn profile, https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcus-vukojevic/

So about the article, i think that Musk is one of the most powerful icons of our generation, and as such he has to maintain a certain profile. So everything that he’s done so far is because at the end we’ll get a certain image of him. For us he’s the crazy entrepreneur that is willing to sacrifice everything he has for the sake of his vision, he doesn’t care about the rules , he’s the dreamer that against all odds reached Mars with one of his cars. So what is the result? You can trust him! You can believe in him and his vision, and this will lead to acquire new potential costumers everyday with his silly tweets(<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>zero cost</span>). So as @michelebaldo said “the only thing that matters is that people talk about you” I think in this case really true! But at the same time, Musk by going public has to follow the rules, otherwise there’s no point of doing them right? He cannot do whatever he wants but at the same time what you gonna do if he doesn’t follow the agreement? Fire Elon Musk? You cannot fire the “company”…

So going private or stay public? Mah, I think that staying public is the best choice.  <span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>andrea-guccione  there’s no doubt that going public has enourmous risk/costs to maintain, but i still think that staying public is the best choice. You have the majority… By giving some part of the cake to the public you can control the company a lot easier(and not discussing with every VC’s that has a share) don’t you think? The price of the shares are going up and down(expetially when Musk uses Twitter haha) but at the end the price is still rising, so both parties are winning. Why changing?

Marcus Vukojevic
    Participant
    @marcusvukoejvic

Hi guys! Nice meeting you. I’m new here so I’ll start by introducing myself a little bit. My name is Marcus Vukojevic and (as @michelebaldo) I study Computer Science and attend the School of Innovation. I’m a problem solver, so I like creating new ideas or products that can benefit people lives. I did many entrepreneurial projects and i’m very hungry to do more and more of this stuff!! So i took part at Startify7 in Poland and won the Nasa World Wind Challenge in the same year(Link if you are curious http://www.startify7.eu/ , https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/). Then last year i participated at the Start-Up Lab in Trento(really great experience, give it a try!) and now i’m currently involved in the School of Innovation and a project from “Fondazione Homo Ex Machina”.

So why am i here? I want to participate because i think that this is the best opportunity to expand my network and get a “first league” experience by learning how and what the BIG players of the market are doing. I want to make new friends, compare new ideas and thoughts for a better future! Do i have the money for this adventure? Of course not. Do i really want to go? I’ll go even if i have to swim across the Atlantic Ocean!

Done with introductions, and if you are interested or you have any question/ideas, i’ll leave you here my LinkedIn profile, https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcus-vukojevic/

So about the article, i think that Musk is one of the most powerful icons of our generation, and as such he has to maintain a certain profile. So everything that he’s done so far is because at the end we’ll get a certain image of him. For us he’s the crazy entrepreneur that is willing to sacrifice everything he has for the sake of his vision, he doesn’t care about the rules , he’s the dreamer that against all odds reached Mars with one of his cars. So what is the result? You can trust him! You can believe in him and his vision, and this will lead to acquire new potential costumers everyday with his silly tweets(zero cos<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>t</span>). So as @michelebaldo said “the only thing that matters is that people talk about you” I think in this case really true! But at the same time, Musk by going public has to follow the rules, otherwise there’s no point of doing them right? He cannot do whatever he wants but at the same time what you gonna do if he doesn’t follow the agreement? Fire Elon Musk? You cannot fire the “company”…

So going private or stay public? Mah, I think that staying public is the best choice.<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>andrea-guccione there’s no doubt that going public has enourmous risk/costs to maintain, but i still think that staying public is the best choice. You have the majority… By giving some part of the cake to the public you can control the company a lot easier(and not discussing with every VC’s that has a share) don’t you think? The price of the shares are going up and down(expetially when Musk uses Twitter haha) but at the end the price is still rising, so both parties are winning. Why changing?

Marcus Vukojevic
    Participant
    @marcusvukoejvic

So about the article, i think that Musk is one of the most powerful icons of our generation, and as such he has to maintain a certain profile. So everything that he’s done so far is because at the end we’ll get a certain image of him. For us he’s the crazy entrepreneur that is willing to sacrifice everything he has for the sake of his vision, he doesn’t care about the rules , he’s the dreamer that against all odds reached Mars with one of his cars. So what is the result? You can trust him! You can believe in him and his vision, and this will lead to acquire new potential costumers everyday with his silly tweets(zero cost). So as @michelebaldo said “the only thing that matters is that people talk about you” I think in this case really true! But at the same time, Musk by going public has to follow the rules, otherwise there’s no point of doing them right? He cannot do whatever he wants but at the same time what you gonna do if he doesn’t follow the agreement? Fire Elon Musk? You cannot fire the “company”…

So going private or stay public? Mah, I think that staying public is the best choice. As you said @andrea-guccione there’s no doubt that going public has enourmous risk/costs to maintain, but i still think that staying public is the best choice. You have the majority… By giving some part of the cake to the public you can control the company a lot easier(and not discussing with every VC’s that has a share) don’t you think? The price of the shares are going up and down(expetially when Musk uses Twitter haha) but at the end the price is still rising, so both parties are winning. Why changing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.