Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Verbano Cusio Ossola Silicon Valley 2019

107 replies, 26 voices Last updated by  Paolo Marenco 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Anonymous @

Hello everybody!

I am Mattia Raniero, I’m 18 years old and i live in Villadossola. I currently attend the 5th year of electronics  at IIS Marconi-Galletti-Einaudi. In my free time i like to ride my motorbike, making stuff with computer or everithing else that concern electronics, and watching tv series. The passion for the robotics made me choose this course, in these years i learned the principles of the electricity and how to work with microcontrollers, such as Arduino to create a variety of projects (e.g a car that can avoid the obstacle). I  had the opportunity in my stage to understand how a electronic factory works, and to partecipate to a concourse made by STMicroelectronics.

I did my first exchange programme 4 years ago when I went in U.K to study English, I repeated this experience each year after, in particular this summer I’ve really enjoyed my experience in California (near San Francisco) where I stayed for 1 month in a homestay living like the americans do. In my life and especially in the high school years i’ve heard several times of Silicon Valley, I think that’s the best way to finally discover It and see what makes this place so crowded of big industries.

Hope to hear you soon in the forum, have a nice day!

Mattia

Mattia Raniero
    Participant
    @mattia

Hello everybody!

I am Mattia Raniero, I’m 18 years old and i live in Villadossola. I currently attend the 5th year of electronics  at IIS Marconi-Galletti-Einaudi. In my free time i like to ride my motorbike, making stuff with computer or everithing else that concern electronics, and watching tv series. The passion for the robotics made me choose this course, in these years i learned the principles of the electricity and how to work with microcontrollers, such as Arduino to create a variety of projects (e.g a car that can avoid the obstacle). I  had the opportunity in my stage to understand how a electronic factory works, and to partecipate to a concourse made by STMicroelectronics.

I did my first exchange programme 4 years ago when I went in U.K to study English, I repeated this experience each year after, in particular this summer I’ve really enjoyed my experience in California (near San Francisco) where I stayed for 1 month in a homestay living like the americans do. In my life and especially in the high school years i’ve heard several times of Silicon Valley, I think that’s the best way to finally discover It and see what makes this place so crowded of big industries.

Hope to hear you soon in the forum, have a nice day!

Mattia

Marco Pastore
    Keymaster
    @marcopastore

Hi everyone!!

The three events in the high schools have been really successful! If it is possible we will organise another event where we will talk about exponential technologies.

Until now there are 10 challengers on the forum but I am sure someone else will join the conversation after this post.
    Take also into account to organise a crowdfunding campaign; this could possibly enlarge the “VCO Confraternity” going to Silicon Valley.
    (feel free to write me for any need)

It will be a long journey on this forum precedeing the selection day.
    I remember you to observe the deadlines of the official document (here Bando) in order to avoid formal mistakes.

As first argument of discussion I want to introduce this video:

In the Internet era, fake news are becoming extremely wide and, as you see in the video, extremely realistic.
    So wide and realistic that it has became a military problem. The DARPA (Defence Advanced Research Project Agency in the USA) allocate 86$ millions to create an algorithm able to automatically detect the so called “Deepfake” (a particular type of video like the one linked) beacuse if not blocked they can distort the political propaganda.

What do you think about this story?
    Internet gave us the possibility to publish everything we want but fake news are becoming a big threat to our digital society.
    Do you think it is necessary to try to automatically detect them thanks to Artificial Intelligence?
    And who should control these fakenews-detector? Is it responsability to platform like FB, YT, Linkedin, ecc, to remove fake news?
    And what if the detector remove automatically news that are not fake?

Let’s start the discussion!

Marco Pastore

• This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by  Marco Pastore.
    Sophie Cavallini
    Participant
    @sophiecavallini

Hi everybody,

My name is Sophie Cavallini, I’m 18 years old and I live in Cannobio (VB). I’m attending the 5th year in the “Applied Science” course at the Liceo “L. Cobianchi”.

Next year I think I will study Physics Engineering at Politecnico di Milano. Since I was a kid, I have always liked scientific and technological subjects. So I think that study something that is a part of both world, the science one and the tech one, will be perfect for me. In particular, I’m interested in the application of physics to improve our life and to fight climate change, like using nuclear fusion to produce energy.

Since I’m in high school I’ve attended a lot of math and science competions, like the “Mathematical Olympiad”, the “Mad for Science Challenge” and the “Digital Math Training”, getting some good results. The things I like most about this competions is the fact that I have the oppurtinity to meet other people with my same interest, to get inspired by them in general by the entire enviroment and to use advanced technology, that we don’t usually use in class.

In 2015 I took part in the “World Scout Jamboree” in Japan. There were 40000 people from 155 countries. It was an amazing experience, and I had the oppurtunity to exchange ideas with people from all around the planet and to see how the world community could cooperate.

For this reasons I think the SVST would be a great oppurtunity the improve my life, both on the carreer aspect and on a more personal aspect.

See you soon in the forum!

Sophie

Michele fontana
    Participant
    @michele-fontana

Hello guys,
    Reading Marco’s post I would like to say that the fake news are currently one of the biggest problem of internet.
    The web is the most powerful means of communication, because anyone can say what he wants (obviously within the limits of legality),wich is the apotheosis of democracy. But some people confuse democracy with anarchy,and start using the web just to make their own interest not caring about the consequences that may lead to other people (or entities) defaming them or spreading fake news about them.
    Obviously, the amount of money behind the fake news is huge, and this fact pushes creators to develop new strategies to make fake news less and less recognizable (such as the “fake videos” that we see on the video posted by Marco), so I think that an algorithm that tries to identify them can be not very effective and easily misleading, but a review carried out by a human,charged by the platform on which the news is located and that can manually verify if the facts are true,could help overcome this problem, obviusly in the limit of the privacy.
    The advice is not to immediately believe everything we read on the web, but to deepen and compare the statements read with those of other sites, and to consult only reliable and known sites

Let me know what do you think about my opinion,
    I wish everyone a good evening.

Michele.

Maddalena Baraggia
    Participant
    @maddalena

Hi everyone,

fist of all I want to thank Marco for this interesting topic.

The problem of fake news is very wide and complex and has a lot of implications (from public security to the business who is hidden behind them).

Unfortunately, we are far from the solution and the problem has involved almost all the countries, as is reported in some studies of Oxford University which also demonstrate that the contagion effect (and so the growth rate from one year to the following) of the amount of fake news is dramatically high.

Of course the situation must be taken into account by government in my opinion, but surely we have to say that platforms have a part of responsibility in the spreading of this phenomenon because, to make great profits, they need that the highest number of posts is shared and in the headquarters of FB, IG, LinkedIn, etc there isn’t time to control each post before publishing it without a huge number of controllers (this is also given by the fact that these sites based all on the instantaneously of operations). So, giving the possibility to everyone to say everything the problem of fake news exponentially had arisen.

Starting from the concept that “a post values as a post” we have to consider that a true post and a fake one have the same visibility.

Seeing the huge amount of web sites and posts which contains false information, it seems impossible to control each of them, both with the help of software and with a human’s expertise because it will be too expensive and time consuming in all the cases, so I partially disagree with the idea of Michele.

And we have also to consider that Artificial Intelligence with the use of a detector and a mathematical algorithm to discover fake news can embed large errors and so the probability to delete true information can be very high, in my opinion.

I have thought instead to a different solution, which obviously is a second-best one, but I think that is easier and less costly than the previous mentioned. Maybe governments can create few sites very well controlled and protected from hackers’ attacks where they collect all the important news (especially the ones that regards politics and military issues). In this way, citizens can always verify in this sites if a new is true or false, without affording the great expense of having a professional data provider like Bloomberg.

What do you think about my idea?

I wish you a good weekend

Maddalena

Mattia Raniero
    Participant
    @mattia

Hello everybody,

I want to answer at the questions that Marco give to us, about the fake news.

The creation of the internet gave us a great tool to share with the world information about every topic a human mind can think. The liberty of speech is something that we achieved after year of battle, but we have to keep in mind to not damage the other’s freedom.

When I first saw the video I was amazed that an algorithm can produce such an high fidelity fake news. The amount of post that we share on the social media is huge, a software house can’t control each post because it would take a long time and an infinity of employees. A program to auto-identify fakes it’s for sure a good idea, but it can easily make mistakes and eliminate true content avoiding the real fakes.

I partially agree with the Maddalena’s idea of a government news website, they can be the safest websites in the world but as we saw in these years no website is hacker-proof.

The best way to be sure of what we read is to double-check on different websites, newscast, and on the “dear and old” newspaper that should (I repeat should) have written verified content.

Thank you Marco for choosing an intersting topic, and guys let me know what you think about my opinion.

Have a nice day. Mattia

AliAouacher
    Participant
    @aliaouacher

Hi guys!!

I’m Ali and I’m 17, in January I’ll be 18. I come from Vogogna, a little village near Domodossola and I’m attending the last year of a technical institute (electronics branch).

Well, I start by saying that I’m really excited to have this fantastic opportunity and to be part of this beautiful community where people have the possibility to discuss about issues related to innovation and technology. I take the opportunity to thank everybody for the event that took place last Friday in the high school “Marconi Galletti Einaudi” in Domodossola. I’m very happy to see that also in the VCO area students have been allowed to participate in a fantastic project like the SVST one,  in which I personally believe so much. Thanks to this project I hope I’ll be able to achieve one of my dreams, that is to visit the Silicon Valley and of course the USA.

Since I was a child I’ve had a great passion for technology and innovation, especially for smartphones, PCs and for all the new generation of tech devices. I’m a big fan of Apple and I like it a lot, but unfortunately its products are really expensive and therefore I can’t afford them. In the future I would like to collaborate with this company to sponsor and test its devices in order to receive them for free and doing what I like; maybe there is someone who could help me do it.

I think that, in a sort of way, our generation is very lucky, because we’re witnessing an exponential progress that the world has never seen before. Think for example about the innovation of smartphones: they are becoming more and more powerful and secure, with lots of new functions.

But where did all this innovation start?

Obviously there is no place on earth like the Silicon Valley, where the main innovations were born: here we can find the headquarters of the largest companies in the world such as Google or Facebook and many others.

I think this SVST experience would change my way of thinking and would give me the possibility to understand what I’m really interested in: what I’d like to do in the future and which university to choose. For all these reasons I think it’s important for me to seize this great opportunity.

For these last high school years I’ve been learning to program by using different types of languages such as “C” and also “Arduino”, with which we’ve done some projects.

At the end of last year we programmed some robots able to follow a path with various obstacles and to reach the finish line overcoming them.

I have done many individual tasks, such as PC disassembly and assembly, and many other software tasks. I did various internships in different companies and in a computer store too. I am very motivated and determined, and this is one of my greatest strengths. In the future I would like to be able to program software very well and even to create apps.

So, I hope we can discuss together, and I hope that many interesting topics will come out. But I have no doubts about that!

And special thanks to Paolo Marenco, who gave me the opportunity to take part in this fantastic project!

See you soon, have a nice day!

Ali Aouacher

Federico
    Participant
    @mottafederico

Hi everyone!

The topic Marco gave to us is really interesting and a big problem in the modern society, in continuous grow thanks to new techniques.

I think we must do everything in our power to try to stop fake news because could create lot of problem and if we don’t make something the situation could only become worse, because it’s become easy for everyone to create fake, just look at the video posted by Marco.

The idea to create an algorithm it’s good but nowadays it’s quite difficult and has some problem, for example the big expense to use the best technology on the market and the fact that we can’t yet create something so precise that make no mistake, not because we are no capable but because the technology doesn’t allow it. Like Mattia says I think today the only way to avoid fake news is inform us from multiple sources and not to stop at the first one. Obviously this isn’t the final solution and I believe the really working algorithm will be created in the next few years; But until then we must double-check, trust our intelligence without allowing ourselves to be convinced too easily and rely on the current version of the anti fake news algorithm with its disadvantages and hope to do its best.

In conclusion I think the responsibility to delete fake news should be of each platform because its in the interest of the platform to stop this situation.

Bye, Federico

Kabir
    Participant
    @kabir

HI EVERYONE!
    Thanks to Marco to have proposed an interesting and current topic like the ‘Fake News’.
    For me it was the opportunity to inform myself about the argument and to make me an opinion on it.
    I think, as someone already wrote in the forum, that one of the most beautiful aspect of internet is the freedom of everyone to share his ideas, but as this can be used like a continuous flow of useful informations as it’s a perfect vehicle to
    transport false and toxic elements for the human society.
    In the Web exist a lot of type of ‘Fake News’: from the most innocent like about Gossip or same superficial kind of social area to more problematic and thorny like Politics or Economics affairs.
    Above all in the last cases I’m agree to entroduce and use AI and algorithms to detect and delete the Fakes, to make more safe the Internet World and to let the people to have the possibility of develope his think free from digital lies.
    A supervision act (often in the respect of privacy of all), necessary to prevent the difussion of the disinformation.
    This is what i think, i’m waiting new post from all of us!
    good evening, HK.

Michele Brusa
    Participant
    @michibrusa

Hi everyone,

I’m Michele Brusa and I’m 18. I’m currently attending the last (5th) year of high school at Liceo G. Spezia in Domodossola.
    I did my 4th year of high school in the US, precisely in Seattle, one of the most important cities on the Pacific Coast (Microsoft, Boeing and Amazon had been founded there). It’s been a great experience and it allowed me to know more about another culture and another people. The United States is the country where the most important industries are set, and I’m glad that such an experience is proposed to us in the VCO. I think it can be useful for high school students to take part in this trip, because it can help them to take the choice of the university and decide for their future.

I’m in a scientific school (liceo scientifico) and so I’m studyin physics, math, chemistry, biology, in a general way, and I’m very interested in them, especially in physics. I’m planning to study aerospace engineering at Polimi, but you never know in life, so maybe I will change idea.

As someone said before, our generation is lucky because we’re living in a era in which progress and innovation can be seen everyday and everywhere, technology is part of our life, but sometimes it can also be dangerous, and learn more about it and discover new aspects leave me very curious. I think curiosity is the way for mankind to learn, study and produce new things, because only throught curiosity we can immagine and create something new.

This experience will allow young students to visit the centre of innovation and of technology, and this can only inspire us and, once in Italy, we could bring new ideas for our country and our people, maybe we will create something new that will change and help the entire world, and this experience is one of the way that can allow this process. By seeing what others made, we could think about all the possibilities that we have, and developed new technologies.

I’m looking forward to discuss with you guys the facts proposed in the forum and learn more about them.

Alex Vellone
    Participant
    @alex

Hi everyone,
    I want to say my opinion on the first topic that Marco proposed.

I think that the problem of fake news is one of the biggest problems on internet.
    In my opinion social networks are the main cause of the large diffusion of these fake news.
    The owners of these social platforms must try to introduce or improve an AI algorithm to identify and remove fake news, but I know that verifying that news is correct or not is difficult.

It’s getting easier making fake videos and replacing other people.
    Google, in one of his events in May, presented Duplex, an artificial intelligence able to offer booking services, replacing the human voice.
    This is a small piece of Duplex presentation:

https://youtu.be/I2fRxfZTJ2c

I think that in the near future these kind of technologies will be available to more and more people, not only for billionaires who want to do their election campaigns.
    Governments should take precautions.

I’m not agree with Maddalena’s idea of a government news website, I think that in some countries this site could be used to cover news that is inconvenient to the current government.
    For me the main newspapers should implement a cooperation to create a platform, using the blockchain, to catalog and inform the population with reliable news.

Let me know what do you think about my opinion.
    See you soon in the forum.
    Alex

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

The Bando 

Happy to see you here in 13!  Just a REMIND FOR YOU

Chirstmas is approaching….January 11 the Call (Bando) Expires! Hurry up!

We can support full cost 4 students right now, but searching  for other sponsors!

Who will not apply to the Call could be eligible to attend the Tour- according to the Forum discussion evaluation-  but covering his own costs!

Stefano De Sario
    Participant
    @stefanodesario

Hello everybody.
    I’m Stefano, I’m 19 years old and I live in Verbania.

Last year I got high school diploma in “Applied Sciences” at Cobianchi and now I’m attending Management Engineering at Politecnico di Milano.

I chose this course because I think it could put together my passions of both technical subjects and economics ones, so as to satisfy my curiosities.

I’ve always been interested in technology but now I became really fascinated by this world because I’m studying it in detail and I’m learning how to program in different “languages”.

Nowadays technology is part of our lives, we can find it quite everything, but usually we don’t know what there’s “behind” that. Silicon Valley is where all ideas and new creations concerning technology born so, for young people like us with this passion, there’s no place better where we could open our minds, visiting important tech companies.

I would like to join SVST because I think it would be an amazing experience, useful for my studies, for a future job but also for a personal growth. Furthermore, I’ve been once in UK for a study trip, but I’ve never had the opportunity to visit US, so it could be a good chance.

Hope to hear from you soon in the forum.

Stefano

Andrea Gallini
    Participant
    @andrea-gallini

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss with all of you.

In my opinion, fake news are the biggest problem of Internet.

Going forward over the years, Internet is entering more and more in our daily life, so much to be able to influence some choices (such as advertising push us to buy certain items); just think of platforms like FB or YT, which are used every day by millions of people for sharing multimedia content.

To understand this problem we should analyze more deeply the problem of sharing without a regulation of any content.

People who create and share fake news probably don’t realize the “damage” they are making to people who use the internet with little consciousness.

In my opinion, the problem is more extensive than we think given that, by searching the web, there are a lot of programs that “emulate” the face of our fake news target and make the creation suitable for all.

I think that an algorithm can be created to eliminate fake news, perhaps with comparisons between real and fake news, This is a job where governments must be at stake.

In my opinion it isn’t totally the right choice, because if this algorithm was created by a government, who tells us that they can not add some other algorithm able to eliminate all the news that create disturbances to the growth of that government or obstruct it the success?Another problem could be the fact that, if we put an AI to control everything that goes around the network for eliminating fake news, the people would be more easily controlled by the governors, since people would trust this AI and then everything that is read on the internet would be true even if it could only be a framework for example on a political choice.

So I think fake news could be eliminated, but we should still pay attention to how the internet will propose the news to us.

See you soon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.