Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Verbano Cusio Ossola Silicon Valley 2019

107 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 1 year, 7 months ago
  • Alex
    Participant
    @alex

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to make best wishes to everyone.

I want to say my opinion on innovations that reduce pollution.

Pollution is a big problem, there is pollution in the air, in the sea and on the ground. But we also find it in our cities, with noise and light pollution.
    Over the years there have been many inventions that promise to reduce pollution, under all points of view, and many others will be created in the coming years.

The first article about the “eating glasses” that Marco propose really impressed me.
    I like the fact that the glass after a few days from its use will be dissolved in non-polluting molecules.

In my opinion, another very interesting but little known material is the “cement of the future” created and patented by an Italian company.
    Few people know that this material was used to build the italian pavilion at Expo 2015 in Milan.
    This material is a real anti-pollution sponge that can absorb polluting elements in the air and then transform them into normal nitrates that are washed away by rain.
    https://www.italcementi.it/it/iactive-BIODYNAMIC

Of course, the use of electric transport vehicles is also essential to reduce pollution, provided that the electricity produced comes from renewable sources.
    I want to mention another wonderful italian invention: the capacitors smart bus.
    These buses, made in collaboration with the Milan Polytechnic, uses capacitors instead of lithium batteries.
    They are recharged during the stop at the terminal in a few minutes. The use of capacitors is very convenient, they are much lighter than the lithium batteries and have a lower cost.
    https://www.autobusweb.com/smartbus-autobus-elettrico-senza-batteria-condensatore/

Regarding Elon Musk I think he is a great visionary which applies in many sectors: energy, space travel, transportation, artificial intelligence.
    In my opinion the idea of his tunnel it’s difficult to build in our cities, but I think it will be the basis for building new futuristic cities in the coming years.

Companies should invest to create eco-friendly packages and try to remove the plastic, which is now used to sell everything.
    Pollution and global warming are however very serious threats that we and our governments must take into consideration.
    Like Maddalena said science and engineering are very advanced but they do not have sufficient support.
    I think governments could do a lot more and they should have a common vision to limit these threats and invest in some of the many solutions to reduce pollution.

Let me know what you think about my opinion.
    See you soon in the forum and again happy new year.
    Alex

Mattia Raniero
    Participant
    @mattia

Hello everybody,

First of all I want to say happy new year to everyone and I hope that you are enjoying the Christmas break.

I want to reply at Marco’s post about pollution. In my opinion this problem is principally caused by the use of cars, truck, planes and everything else that use petrol as fuel, we’re seeing in these days that the diesel car will start to vanish due to the high level of carbon dioxide that they produce. Electric cars are proposed as a good alternative, they can reduce noise pollution but not the pollution caused by the exhaust of the “classic cars”, the majority of the energy is produced by fossil fuels, that would mean only move the creation of pollution in determinated areas that will for sure become lifeless. As I said in the drones topic the encrease of the battery demand will bring the problem of the disposal, the best solution nowadays, I think are the hybrid cars that can reduce the consume of gasoline and encreasing only a little bit the demand of eletricity.

The Elon Musk’s project called “Hyperloop” is in my opinion a thing that especially in the USA can really help, when i went in California last summer I noticed that is not common to take a train to move, and so I asked my host family the reason of this, they answered me saying “We have really few railroads, trains are slow and expensive”. This video try to understand why it’s like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbEfzuCLoAQ

A thing that can truly help and it’s effectively possible in each family is the reduction of food waste that can save a lot of plastic and reduce the amount of garbage that ends n the landfills only to produce more greenhouse gases.

About Paolo’s challenge I post my comment:

Hello everybody,
    I’m Mattia, and I’m an Italian student of electronics at IIS Marcoini-Galletti-Einaudi. The project of Michele,Rui, Runqiong and Sujin is really interesting. We always see election campaign based on what the politician think the majority of the people want, and when we want to be listened we need to wait a long time to have a national referendum that can may be needed during the life of a government. This solution can give a clear idea of what a nation want, and at the same time make this enjoyable by using ISG platform.
    Unfortunately in 2019 the world of AI and of VR is at its beginning. This is for sure a great idea, I’m only scared about if this data will be stored where it is impossible to be attacked by hacker.

Hope to hear you back in the forum, have a nice day.

Mattia

Marco Fattalini
    Participant
    @marcofattalini

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately,i’ve joined this forum just yesterday because i’ve heard about the amazing experience of the tour just few days ago.However,I’ve read all the comments that you have posted on the forum beacuse I was interested in knowing the topics that Marco proposed to us and I liked so much reading all the opinions of the candidates for the SVST.Now I want to tell you what I think.

Fake news entered in our life with the progress of technology.At the beginning,editing was used only for cinematographic purposes but today the most advanced technologies are accessible to everyone of us:we only need a computer and some practice to modify and twist the reality.In the last century news were diffused by newspaper or television but today,in a world in which a lot of people are sticked to the cellphone and the access to the internet is so easy to get,the main channel of communication is the web:this fact has got some pros and cons,is so useful for the rapidity that characterized the communication of a news but the terrible fact is that everyone can post what he or she wants,without restrictions of what he or she says.Fake news are used by the people who want to move a mob in a specifical direction,I often read some fake news about politics because this field is the most hitted by this plague,and they are so hard to detect expecially for the non native digitals.I think that each Government have to teach everyone since the primary school a correct use of the internet,and they should punish people who use the web for vicious purposes because is inevitable that in a very near future there will be more people able to distort reality.Platform like Facebook have to create some algorithms that can detect and eliminate instantly these kind of rubbish.

About drones,I think that they are a very useful instruments.They are going to be so important for the health of our planet,because they work with electricity so they aren’t damaging for the ecosystem,and for the development of the efficiency of delivery sistem,because they would work in shorter times.But of course we have to regulate their work,expecially for the function that their cameras can do:as Marco told,they can record us in a private moment so our privacy could be in danger!The relation between innovation and economic prosperity is an hot theme nowadays,I think that each step to the robotize of the jobs,in order to substitute the human manpower,have to be discussed and studied carefully,but in this example the entrance of drones in delivery system wouldn’t undermine lots of work place.

And now,last but not the least,a topic which is very close to my hearth:the pollution.I’m a kayaker,everyday since I was a child I paddle on the water of the lake that grew me up:the lake Maggiore.I also like going for a walk in the fantastic trails that our mountains offer us,so i can say that I’m very attached to the area of VCO.But what I can see nowadays,and what the news told us every day,is that our planet is in danger.The environment is deteriorating,hour by hour,and it seems like human aren’t worried about this condition.What we have to do Is to stop this slow trip to the distruction of the planet,the only way to do that is to be more conscious of our actions in order to help our planet but expecially to limit some important sectors like the ones of transport or the ones of emission of factories:the illness have to be eradicated from the roots,by the reducing of the emissions by the most impacting sectors we will help our planet.I found very interesting the articles proposed by Marco,we don’t have to stop those kinds of researches because science is the most important “arm” together with the awareness to reach the common target of a healthy world.

I hope that you will find my ideas as interesting as I find yours,have a nice weekend!

Marco

Celeste Giani
    Participant
    @celestegiani

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, as Marco Fattalini has said, I have just recently come across this fantastic opportunity, so I will post my opinion on the topics given from now on.

DEEP FAKES

I agree with everyone that says that fake news are a huge issue. Deep fakes even more. It is a problem that I find to be very disturbing. I don’t think there should ever be limits to innovation. However, I think there should be certain limits to how it is employed. The social implications of deep fakes are considerable, not only from a political propaganda point of view but also for the fact that by being overly exposed to fake news people could develop a sense of paranoia that will prevent them from trusting any form of news source. Even the reliable and correct ones.

Researchers (eg. Bansal) agree that the best way to eliminate deep fakes is to employ machine learning models that can detect whether an image is real or generated. Some interesting detection methods include the analysis of simple biological responses to the environment; for instance, lack of blinking in synthetic objects (SUNY), and subtle changes of color that occur in the face as blood is pumped in and out.

It is important to remember that at the moment it is easy to create a deep fake but extremely hard to create a flawless one. All it’s being done to create deep fakes is basically collecting sequences of the frame from a person and input that data into an algorithm that will learn the mapping from one person to another, by mainly selecting spatial and temporal info (generative adversarial network over simplified). This means that at the moment, the previously mentioned methods of looking for deep fakes might work.

Who should take the burden of detecting deep fakes? Well, any company that is targeted by deep fakes could certainly give its contribution. Facebook is interested in developing machine learning models to find deep fakes, so this could be a starting point. However, I also think that sometimes outsourcing is the best option. In the future, firms specialized in the detection of fake news (in particular deep fakes) will become more and more common, and will be employed by platforms/individuals affected by this problem (start-up anyone?). Another powerful weapon to fight “fake news” is education. Children should develop critical thinking skills from a young age and should also be taught how to distinguish a reliable source from a less reliable one. We should educate people about deep fakes (eg. Buzzfeed video of Obama), but try our best to avoid an epidemic of social paranoia.

Having said that, I find that, GAN, the technology behind deep fakes is fascinating. It can be used in endless ways. Last year for example, me and a friend used TensorFlow to transfer the artistic style of Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa to a picture of me using deep neural networks (if you’re interested he tagged me on Instagram!). Apparently, GAN, works with audio as well, so how cool would it be if we could generate new sounds using data from Elvis Presley (for example)?

I would love to hear what you guys think of it, but i am also aware that the forum will close soon. Maybe next time!

All the best,

Celeste

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Thank you Celeste for your contribution, very cool.

Just for your info tomorrow night is the end of Forum discussion for eligibility to attend to SVST.

Marco Pastore will give our final judge on monday 7th. But the Forum as the conferences in your Schools ( Marconi and Cobianchi) will go on.

The next  conference in Marconi on January 14th, soon the leaflet program here!

Paolo Binda
    Participant
    @paolobinda1

Hi everyone!

first of all I would like to wish you all a happy New year!

Regarding Marco’s post on pollution I think it is one of the challenges that our society will have to face concretely in the medium-long term.

I really like the idea of ​​using electric cars to be able to reduce pollution, but as Mattia said, we only move the problem elsewhere, as if we recharge the batteries of cars with energy produced by a fossil-fuel power plant we have solved nothing, or rather we have made the situation worse. Currently I think that, with the current technologies, the best solution is the use of hybrid cars, which can balance the advantages and disadvantages of the two types of engines.

Therefore, I think the first step is to convert existing power plants into renewable energy plants, and then start using electric cars.

Furthermore, we should find a way to be able to dispose of the waste generated daily and also be able to reuse it, as to avoid the creation of plastic islands in the oceans.

Finally, I think we should learn from northern countries such as Holland, Denmark, where cycling is often used as an alternative means to public and private transport.

Have a nice day.

PB.

Celeste Giani
    Participant
    @celestegiani

Hi everyone,

I hope you had a happy and healthy start of the year. I found extremely interesting what you wrote about drones! Here’s what I think.

DRONES

Drones have been object of debate multiple times, for different reasons. The different kinds of drones bring up concerns about safety, ethics and legality. Of course different drones serve different purposes: from simple recreational  use (0-20kg), to military and defence (usually class II= 150-600 Kg, class III= +600kg).

A already mentioned, there are many uses for drones. The ones I was the most aware of were for military and recreational purposes. Reading this forum, many of you have opened my mind to the endless opportunities that they could bring (rescue, disaster prevention, research, repair operations etc.). The one that gets the most attention right now on social media is delivery. Technology for UAV’s delivery is being tested, but we are still at the initial stages for getting drones deliveries as part of our daily lives, even if the technology used is excellent itself. There are a number of external factors that have to face. Poor weather is one of them, as Parcelcopter (nice name!) by DHL has shown by failing during testing.  Air-traffic control is another issue if we think that a few small drones have been able to shut down the entire Gatwick airport just before Christmas. And finally, how do we actually drop off the package to destination? I read an article (I can look for it if you’re interested) that highlighted the fact that dropping a box in someone’s backyard could be problematic if there are pets around (could even kill the poor dog trying to make sense of what’s happening in the sky, but I feel this would be too extreme).

Different countries have different regulations for the use of commercial and recreational drones. As many in the forum have already pointed out, Italy has heavy regulations on flying drones. Differently, in the UK, where I go to uni, it is a little easier to run tests on drone deliveries (Amazon is testing drones in Cambridgeshire with permission of the Civil Aviation Authority).

Regulations have been adopted for safety reasons. “Drones and Privacy” (McKelvey et al, 2015) is a very interesting paper that I would recommend to anyone interested in the topic. The study presents the idea that policies on drones are necessary in a society that experienced a rise in terrorism of 43% in 2013. Drones could become targets of hackers that could crash them into crowds, but also stealing information that could facilitate cyber crimes (from your bank details to sensitive military footage)

Privacy is also an issue, but in my opinion we should not consider drones as negative devices just for this reason. We are constantly being recorded anyway. From the time you enter a shop, to the moment you open your laptop. Our information is being shared. You can be recorded having a date with your lover even when you’re sipping tea in a cafè, no drones necessary. In Italy, the law says that you can keep recordings of security cameras in public places for up to 24h, and I think this regulation could be applied to drones as well. As a IB and marketing student, I am often confronted with the data issue. Personally, I consider data as a goldmine, but I am also aware that we shouldn’t abuse of personal info (especially after the Cambridge Analytica investigation).  I am perfectly fine with drones mapping urban areas in detail, nevertheless I would no be fine if a firm used drones to record how many times a week I go to the grocery store (that would be pretty annoying). There are boundaries to everything.

There is also the argument about a sustainable future created by UAV’s. I am not sure about whether or not drones used for delivery purposes could actually have a large positive impact on the environment. At the moment delivery drones can take up to 2kg (the Amazon one for example). To substitute completely road deliveries is impractical. However I accept the idea of replacing only the last part of delivery which is actually the one that pollutes the most and that increases delivery costs (the infamous last mile).  Totally different is my opinion of UAV’s used for research purposes. They could provide precise air composition data, keep track of wildlife, and get to remote areas. All this information, will be useful in climate change research.

Finally, technology is certainly reshaping our jobs and I am really curious to see which new jobs will disappear and which new ones will be created as drones become more and more advanced.

I will try and post my opinion on the last topic as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Celeste

Andrea Dondo
    Participant
    @andrea-dondo

Hi everyone!

First of all I would like to wish everyone a happy new year, hoping that you are enjoying these last days of holiday.

Then I want to reply to Marco’s last two posts, the one about drones and the last one about pollution.

As someone else has already said, I think that drones don’t create a huge problem regarding privacy, because there are lots of other devices or programmes that can violate our private sphere fairly easily. Just think of the cameras of private individuals or the convenient Google Earth that allows us to orient ourselves in times of need, but that often takes people with the Street View mode. Therefore it is necessary to plan a strict legislation created specifically for the development of drones, which includes a collaboration between experts in legislation and also in the drones sector, as well as the definition of a dividing line between the correct use of drones and the violation of individuals. Otherwise the risk is to incur illegal exploitation of images of people by hackers.

Regarding the contribution in decreasing pollution, I don’t think drones can make a big difference. Certainly they would avoid the emission of exhaust fumes from the cars of the postmen, but goods must often be transported to very distant places and may have weights that don’t allow the use of drones. Also the problem of battery disposal is evident, not so much for the separation of the metals present, since there are some fungi (like Aspergillus niger) that can isolate lithium and cobalt producing organic acids, but as the reuse of the separated acid-metal complexes.

Finally, I believe that the job market won’t be affected in such a negative way, because it will be necessary to reconvert obsolete jobs for the creation of as many technicians employed to the maintenance and pilotage of the same drones. And this shouldn’t be surprising, since every technological revolution has always upset the working field of each sector, in a proactive manner and pushing for the conversion to less tiring jobs for man.

On the other hand, the two videos concerning the reduction of pollution really impressed me!

The one about the tunnel for cars is interesting because it could be an excellent solution for small and medium-sized cities that do not need a subway line, but they are often overcrowded with cars and this would contribute to the reduction of exhaust emissions. In fact, the ability to transport as many as 16 people would greatly decrease the flow of vehicles and consequently the atmospheric and acoustic pollution that derive from it.

Then the other one was wonderful. I didn’t know that there was such a multi-functional but at the same time edible material. As a matter of fact, the production of completely biodegradable bioplastics is very popular, but it is well known that this entails a high energy expenditure. But this “edible glass” is a clever technology, because first of all it uses the agri-food waste, reducing the amount of energy necessary to obtain the raw materials, and therefore it is also compostable, as it is immediately part of the natural cycle.

Regarding pollution, I think there are solutions for every kind of need thanks to the studies done and in progress. Just think of renewable energies, which if used correctly could meet almost half of the world’s energy needs and could also be exploited by vehicles to reduce atmospheric emissions of greenhouse gases and toxic gases (BioEthanol breaks down the production of sulphur and nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide or PAH). The problem remains and it consists on how to exploit these innovations, sacrificing economic interests in favour of a healthier environment.

From a regulatory point of view, many steps forward have been taken. From the Kyoto protocol, to the Agenda 2030 (that set goals for sustainable development and the circular economy), to the COP 24 which took place in December 2018 in Katowice. The ultimate goal was to try to put a brake on global climate change and define a “Rule Book”, a guide book to implement all the principles of the agreement, which will come into force in 2020. It was also established how to distribute the financial resources needed to support the least developed countries to induce them to reduce their CO<sub>2</sub> emissions. Delegates from all over the world established also the concrete actions to be taken to contain the increase in average temperature by 2 degrees up to the end of the century. So the point remains only one: all countries must enter the prospective of an improvement of the environmental impacts of each sector, nobody excluded.

Let me know what do you think about my opinions!

I wish everyone a good evening,

Andrea Dondo

Marco Pastore
    Participant
    @marcopastore

Hi everyone!
    I am really happy to see that new candidates have arrived in the forum just in time before the closing.
    Celeste & Marco, your comments are both really interesting.

On the pollution topic I find Alex Vellone’s vision really centered.
    In general, we all agree that science & technology can solve the pollution concern, the real problem is the economic system that cannot adapt rapidly and without consequences to these new innovations.  We must have the awareness that we are the last generation able to invert this situation. We must do more!!

Tomorrow the forum will close and on monday I will list who of you have shown to be eligible for the bando.
    I remember to all that to be able to attend the SVST selection you must apply for the official bando that expire the next friday. (11 january)

Last but not least, monday 14 january me and Paolo Marenco will come back to Marconi-Galletti-Einaudi institute in Domodossola to present Gianluca Lilla, CEO of a really cool project that joins our territory with innovations. Gianluca want to mine Bitcoins using hydroelectric powerplant of our province!! Look forward to listen more about this project!! All of you are invited, here the poster of the event.

See you soon!

Marco Pastore

Celeste Giani
    Participant
    @celestegiani

Hi everyone,

What you all wrote about pollution made me reflect a lot. Here’s some food for thought from me.

Innovations that reduce pollution.

We are in the middle of an environmental crisis. Moving from Verbania, one of the least polluted cities in Italy, to Leeds, one of the most polluted cities in the UK, have made me realise the tragic social implications of pollution. I remember at the beginning of the year hearing a man talking about how he got lung cancer because of the high levels of particulate matter and chemicals in the air of Leeds. This has deeply touched me, because it made me think of what will be of the world if we continue being environmentally irresponsible.

In my opinion, there are two sectors in particular that need to change in order to create a sustainable future: city planning (which includes energy, construction and transports) and retail.

How can technology and intelligent connectivity help cities solve real world problems in an efficient and sustainable way? According to the world health organization by 2050, over 68% of the world’s population will live in cities. As the world’s population is rapidly growing how will cities adapt to this change? Imagine a city in which you won’t have to look for a parking spot anymore, in which road traffic injuries will be a story of the past, and you won’t have to go to the countryside just for a breath of fresh air. I truly believe in smart cities, and I think that by changing the way we plan our cities we will also be able to tackle pollution problems. Buildings will have solar panels, wind turbines etc.  incorporated to provide clean energy to the city or even be self-sufficient. Elon Musk’s vision of transportation through high speed tunnels will replace the busy traffic that is currently dominated by loud vehicles.

The fashion industry is one of the largest industrial polluters in the world. In fashion, 150 billion articles of clothing are made every year, and 90% of these textiles end up in a landfill and then most of the times are burned. I think there is a need for people to understand the effects of fast fashion. There is a number of start-ups that are trying to tackle this problem. EON, for example,  is a startup dedicated to creating a sustainable circular future of fashion. It uses the internet of things to connect a garment to all steps of the value chain, so that it facilitates recycling of the materials. Another cool start-up is Agraloop, which takes waste from fibrous food-crop production (eg.banana and pineapple) and then it transforms it into fibers for use in textiles. There are so many opportunities to improve the fashion industry (so if you have an idea hit me up)!

I think the idea of “Apple puree cutlery” is also worth a try! I don’t personally find it very appealing by looking at it, but I’m sure the design can be improved! I try to avoid plastic cutlery when I eat packed lunch from home, so I think this could be a great alternative.

There are so many industries that require transformation to guarantee the children of our children a sustainable future. I am sure that we can find something to improve in everything. I highly recommend to check EON out, especially if you are interested in supply chain.  Link: https://www.eongroup.co/

All the best,

Celeste

Lorenzo Antoniazzi
    Participant
    @lorenzoantoniazzi

Hi everyone,

The Marco’s post is very interesting, first of all because the pollution is a really big problem of our era and second because the UN climate conference has been closed less than a month ago.

Well, I think that innovation is the only way we have to solve the problem of pollution because, as we can see, all of the modern industries, transport, the major part of the power plants produce a lot of pollution and greenhouse gasses. For that reason, innovation is the only way we have to create new and cleaner way to produce and give services.

But after this, there still the impressive amount of waste that we have created through the time and (since we didn’t care of recycling it or at least put it in some rubbish dump) we have spread all around the globe. The biggest representation of what I’m talking about is the pacific trash vortex, a floating continent of trash floating in the Pacific Ocean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyaTqezSzs here’s a little video talking about it made by The Ocean Cleanup which is a huge group of engineers that have team up to try to solve the problem of plastic in the oceans. They had developed an enormous structure that had the purpose of clean up half of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch passively in 5 years. But recently in an inspection they noticed that a 20 meter section had detached from the rest of the system, here’s the news https://www.theoceancleanup.com/updates/wilson-to-return-to-port-for-repair-and-upgrade/.

So, we need to wait a little longer if we want to see our world a little bit cleaner. But if you want to help cleaning our oceans you can always buy one of the Solgaard product, a company that sell backpacks and suitcase made from a plastic fabric that use recycled plastic from the ocean, here’s the link https://solgaard.co/. They say that every product of their catalogue is made with 15lb of recycled plastic, cool right?  I personally want to buy their last product that is currently on Kickstarter http://kck.st/2OIRoQJ.

In conclusion I want to wish you an amazing 2019.

See you,

Lorenzo

Kabir
    Participant
    @kabir

Hi everyone!
    I wanted to make you my best wishes for a year full of satisfactions.
    Thanks Marco for having proposed a topic so timely and that involves us very close, for which is necessary find a real solution.
    For who has moved like me, from our beatiful provice to a bigger city like Milan, Turin, ecc. will certainly have felt the difference in the air.
    I’m agree with all of us about the use and the emprove of the electric or hybrid transport (public and private one) and even more with the Paolo’s suggestion about the bycicle, maybe increasing the phenomenon of bykesharing (China is the leader in this way with https://mobike.com/it/ ).
    it’s necessary especially to able to prevent industries from handling their waste in a wrong way and introduce a recycling method that leads to a reuse of plastic and chemical waste materials. There are already a lot of laws bur often is “Too Expensive”.
    However i think, mostly about the biggest problems, that every singol person can do the difference. If everyone , for example, install solar panels on your roof or follow some of this rules https://www.ideegreen.it/come-ridurre-linquinamento-40395.html , multiplied by 7 bilion we can reduce the cities pollution.
    So the first step must to be to raising awarness our generations to a more “green” use of our planet.
    Having said that I renew my wishes!
    see you soon,
    HK

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Kabir.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Kabir.
    Marco Fattalini
    Participant
    @marcofattalini

Hello everyone!

First of all i would like to wish you a Happy Epiphany.Our holidays are ending,and I hope your start of the year was a good omen for a wonderful 2019!

Unfortunately this forum will be closed this night,so I would like to express my last speech about the most recent topic that Marco introduced us:the pollution.

What I want to show you today it’s a project that my classmates and I developed during the 4th year at the Cobianchi High School,I’m so excited to share with you our work,because it concerns with pollution and especially with the VCO area:one of the main purposes of the SVST is to influence the evolutive future of our area through the amazing experience that 4 of us are going to undertake,so I thought that present you what we did it could have been a starting point to promote our area.

There are different kinds of pollution:the contamination of nature,that damage oceans/air/terrain,the acoustic and light pollution in big cities and many other types.One kind of pollution that a lot of people ignore is the deforestation,which is the destruction of wide areas which are rich of vegetation in order to obtain the greater amount of the main extractable material.Deforestation usually takes place in the production of pailm oil and for the production of paper.Nowadays a lot of studies are trying to create paper from different sources,or to regenerate it from used paper.

Our goal was to promote the area of VCO through an innovating and ecological production,thanks to the use of materials which are easily founded in this territory:we live in an area that offers us considerably quantities of vegetation,so we instantly considered the possibility to evaluate the wastes from nature like burrs that are very present in VCO area.

We spent a lot of time to develop our project,we were so ambitious and we obtained an unexpected result:we extracted cellulose from the wastes that we cropped in our woods,at first glance we were incredulous but after that we realized that we did something remarkable!

After the succesful production of paper we designed an eventual factory that could have rised up in Verbania,we choose the area of the ex chemical factory “Acetati” because at that moment (still now) was in disassembly and we described in details the industrial process.

I’m very proud of the work we did,it took us a lot of time and energy,but the result was amazing.I link the PDF which recapitulates our project,I hope you will find it interesting and you will express to me your opinions about it.

http://www.losviluppolocalechevorrei.it/files/Carta-da-Scarti-Vegetali.pdf

Have a nice Sunday!

Marco

Michele fontana
    Participant
    @michele-fontana

Hello everyone,
    I want to say my opinion on innovations to reduce pollution:

Air pollution is one of the biggest threats for the environment and affects everyone: humans, animals, crops, forests, aquatic ecosystems; is the main enemy of the earth and nowadays is a growing phenomenon, especially in big cities.
    Over the years there have been many inventions that promise to reduce pollution,and many others will be created in the coming years.

The Elon Musk’s project “Hyperloop” is in my opinion a thing that can really help, because not only could it potentially eliminate vehicle pollution (which forms the majority of general pollution), but it can also greatly increase the speed of movement in urban areas and, consequently, to improve the lifestyle.
    maybe it’s a project that will take time to finish,but already in these days Elon Musk, with his Tesla project, is effectively spreading the concept of “electric car”, which helps a lot to fight the war on pollution.

regarding The first article about the “eating glasses” that Marco propose, I like the fact that the glass after a few days from its use will be dissolved in non-polluting molecules because, if we apply this concept to most of the objects we use every day (especially those that need to be thrown away after use), the enormous amount of trash that human beings produce without rest would decrease exponentially.

I want to conclude with this article: https://news.un.org/en/story/2018/05/1008732 and making a reflection:if we don’t stop pollution it will have critical effects on everyone and everything. It can destroy habitats and erase species from existence. People most likely will not be able to survive and all because of the industrial revolution and our need to make money and make things easier for ourselves. However, we can still live that way without having such a big impact on the environment. Simple things such as switching to a more energy efficient fuel that pollutes less than fossil fuels. Or putting in simple technologies that now help reduce the amount of pollution you produce in your own home. If you actually would like to do something about pollution there are many ways to help the cause. When you need a new car, buy one that runs on electricity instead of gas and use natural gas to heat your home instead of oil. If you live in a noisy environment you can plant shrubbery to help block and reduce the noise that could damage your hearing, and many other things.

I wish everyone a good evening, I hope to hear from you soon!

Michele

Maddalena Baraggia
    Participant
    @maddalena

Hy everyone!

I’m happy to see such a lot of attendance in the Forum in the last days!

From yours interventions some interesting ideas overcome:

I found very clever Marco’s project about getting cellulose from vegetable waste, this can be a really nice idea to implement on wide scale. It’s also important that innovative projects like this let us to get linked to our beautiful environment saving our lakes and mountains.

I know the Solgaard products that Lorenzo mentioned, another wonderful project which I hope will gain more success in the following years. I also know other similar products like a bracelet made by 4Ocean, a small objects but with a great signifance!

Obviously, Celeste’s vision is the best in order to reduce pollution, but nowadays I think it’s very far to be implemented all over the world. We see some examples of advanced cities but we also have evidences that the biggest countries producers of pollution aren’t going in a direction of susteinability. Yesterday I was reading on Bloomberg that China still consumes 3,6 million of tons of coal each year and the second country is India, if we take into account also oil, the amount of traditional energy (not clean) is very huge considering the number of citizens of these 2 countries.

Last, I want to add another comment to the electic cars’ topic.

I was reading on Focus edition of January 2019 an interesting article where there was said 2 important things: first, that the electic cars idea, at the beginning just a dream for Musk, now is spread among a lot of traditional car industries like Nissan and Audi, this is also given by the fact that no patent was established on this idea. I studied the importance of patents in start up in the course of Corporate Finance and this lead to a quite fast develop of this idea, even if we are far from see electric cars as the preferred choice when buying a car for the problems we saw together in the previous answers.

The second concept is that the batteries’s cost has been reduced of 80% in the last 10 years, so we are very confident that we can reduce it even more in the next years!

So the end of the story is that the effort of every individual on the heart is required to save our planet!

Bye everyone guys, it was a pleasure to discuss with you!

Maddalena

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • The topic ‘Verbano Cusio Ossola Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.