20 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Adriano Fontanari 6 years, 10 months ago
  • Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Our first year in Bolzano University, thanks to the link of our great SVST2007 Alumnus Jari Ognibeni, from Trento. The attendees to SVST 2017 Tour from Bolzano will be selected by this great event

January 19th, you can follow in streaming : it will prize the best start up Ideas from the students!

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey guys, I followed in streaming the amazing final of last 19th. Coincidence is that the judge Francesco Lato, Angel Investor from Bolzano, investor in more 10 start ups lives in Genova like me and is a good friend. He also attended 3 SVST in the last 3 years, also co guiding one.

I have been contacted by 3 of you, I don’t know isf already logged here: Andriy Tyyco, Giuseppe Moavero, Nick Preda. I reply here the info for you and others.

the Bozen University (by Xiao),  gave to the winning team the chance to attend to next SVST august 2017. This is  our first team selected at Italy level ( the attendee group could be 30, at national level. The team has all the time to find co financing  (or full financing ) of theTour cost, that for participant is around 2500 Euro (University, sponsor companies, crowdfunding..have a look to the amazing initiatives from UNI Torino selected students in 2015 and 2016 , Silicon Valley Espresso, ConnecTO Silicon Valley, both Facebook groups: they succeded to cover the full cost!)
    Some year we bring also particularly motivated and skilled students, out of the selection process . So if you do not are in the winning team…a chance exists!
    In case of interest we need yr updated english CV  in the Paul Format- 1 page- within April 7.
    ciao
    Paolo
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Paolo Marenco.
    Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

To start the year, you can find the preliminary program of Silicon Valley Study Tour August 2017 (final program only at early August)

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Big data are a propeller for enormous change ( positive or not…will see..) of our life .

Psychologist Michal Kosinski developed a method to analyze people in minute detail based on their Facebook activity. Did a similar tool help propel Donald Trump to victory?

Two reporters from Zurich-based Das Magazin went data-gathering.​ Read this story…just a beginning of an Era.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all, I’m coming in Bolzano Bozen Free University on March 31st. Join us!

Marta Pancaldi
    Participant
    @martapancaldi

Hello everybody!
    … actually I am the first to write in this group, but I hope many other students will join me to give their contribution!
    My name is Marta Pancaldi and I am a 3rd year Computer Science student here at University of Bolzano.
    I would describe myself as a girl who is strongly passionate about anything concerning the IT world, eager to learn and constantly looking for great opportunities to enhance my technical skills.

About one year ago I lived what has been the best experience of my life so far: the chance to study for a semester in the United States – precisely at College of Charleston, South Carolina – thanks to the Erasmus+ / Bilateral Agreements scholarship for studying abroad. Needless to say, this incredible overseas adventure opened my eyes in a way I could not have imagined before: there are dense networks between universities and the labor market in America and the great companies offer internships to lots of talented students. Above all, what I perceived every day was a world of possibilities: young people can literally do whatever they wish and are encouraged to try everything, if they agree to put their best efforts.
    The US are not the perfect country – especially for some months now… – However, if I had to choose a place on Earth where great ideas can be supported, grow and eventually be realised, I would definitely choose the States.
    An experience like the Silicon Valley Tour would therefore be a unique chance to know better those companies: I was recently selected to take a tour of Google offices in Warsaw, along with a few valuable lectures from Google engineers, and it would be amazing to visit the area where this incredible tech hub was born.

At the moment, I am studying to pass the last exams of my bachelor’s degree and working on my thesis – a research project that aims to exploits technical debt comments to handle emergent events in Systems of Systems – and next year I am flying to the UK to pursue a MSc in Software Engineering.
    What about you, awesome people from Bolzano? 🙂 I am looking forward to hearing from you and discussing hot topics in science and technology.

Cheers,
    Marta

Florian Hofer
    Participant
    @florianh

HI all! Just added two lines to my profile to shorten the introducing part. Now that this is done, let’s start discussing.. 🙂

I read the article yesterday and the first thing that came to mind was a memory of years ago, don’t remember exactly when, but at least 10 years or so. The change that happened when suddenly the ads where adapting to your interests, following the pages you visited and the searches you made. It was then that I first realized what a potential there is behind data collection (had no idea what big data was back then). The things you can do with this data. It was no secret that media adapted their programs and advertising to their viewers, so it will be the same for internet now, I thought.
    But aside from that, it’s a game that has always been played. They’re just getting better tools. And even if there will be indisputable proof that profiling techniques have been used to manipulate peoples voting behaviour, there will be always big part of people turning around ignoring it all. Or at least that’s what history shows.

It seems like technology is taking over our lives, and we do nothing about it; we can’t live without any more. Once I saw a documentary explaining where all the parts making up our smart hand helds come from. Most Smart phones are built with components assembled under tremendous circumstances like child labour and third world mines, death traps to every one entering. But this does not stop anyone from buying the next-gen model. There was a similar situation regarding sneakers in the 90’s. They where highly valued collectibles, seen as pieces of art and like with our hand toys today. If you had the newest one you where cool. Back then, strikes and protests forced manufacturers to change their production lines. But what about now?
    It’s a different generation, different values. It’s known for years but either nobody wants to move. Or has big data has won again showing us just what we need to see? Think about it: Journalism has changed. More and more are getting their news through social media. Who knows how much of the “truth” they’re already missing? Who knows, how many times YOU just saw what they wanted you to see?

Trumps election is just the tip of the iceberg. Where on RMS Titanic, and there is no way back.

Marta Pancaldi
    Participant
    @martapancaldi

Finally I got some time to comment the article, and also reply to Florian.

I had not yet discovered the magic world of the Internet 10 years ago, so I guess the change that Florian is referring to passed without me noticing, and when I ended up on the web adapting ads were already there. However, a few years back, when I signed up for Facebook, I was quite puzzled by the fact that my homepage showed me ads for products I had looked for on Amazon moments before. Today I’ve learnt to install an ad-blocker in my browser, but of course this doesn’t stop them from reaching me in other ways.

After reading the article and remaining both intrigued and scared, I tried out the prediction tool based on Facebook likes on Kosinski’s website, and after what I thought was just another silly personality test, I ended up even more frightened. Can a bunch of likes tell so much about my personality, detect my political orientation or guess my relationship status?
    I was honestly impressed by the accuracy of this tool. I assume that many of us have “stalked” a friend of ours on Facebook, trying to deduce his or her tastes based on their likes, but would it be the same if done on a much larger scale, with a dataset of almost two billion people?
    While there are many potential application for analysis of big data in order to improve people’s life (for example, I am thinking of more accurate dating websites, targeted advertising for a novel I would definitely enjoy according to the books already read…), there is also no doubt that such a powerful instrument would be exploited for political reasons. It may have already happened more than once, if the article is accurate about the extent that big data analysis had during the recent US elections or the Brexit referendum.

Perhaps the scariest aspect is that there is no such thing as going offline to stop being reached from ads or preventing companies like Cambridge Analytica from categorising people. Nobody is truly offline. If anyone succeeded in disconnecting totally and ultimately, then he would most certainly end up living in an igloo on the South Pole – would it be worth it, when interpersonal connection are the basis of today’s society?

In any case, I would not agree about blaming Kosinski for the outcomes of his research. In fact, I think it pointed out something that was already manifest, and if not Kosinski, sooner or later somebody else would have reported the potential of big data. And exploited of course, to drive the outcomes of the elections or maybe something we are not even aware of.
    As Florian wrote, we have probably only scratched the surface.

PS: I was just wondering… if nobody else shows up on the UniBz group, would we be allowed to participate in other groups, for example Trento’s? It feels a bit lonely in here…

Marta Pancaldi
    Participant
    @martapancaldi

PPS: nevermind, I just noticed that Florian had the same idea 🙂 Let’s “invade” Trento’s group then…

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Marta&Florian go conquer …you have the right tools 😉

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Follow live on Facebook Confindustria Genova page, tomorrow morning 8 am conference of Saverio Murgia, Engineer from UNIGE , SVST 2014.

The young story of Eyra and its technology for blind people Horus, born after the SVST,  is amazing and only at the beginning.
    If you cannot follow live streaming, from friday afternoon or monday, you could follow recorded on Confindustria Genova Coffetech page ( cool event, all fridays, since 4 months)

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco
     Hey all cool debate!
    here is the eligibility list for SVST 2017
     Florian Hofer

Marta Pancaldi

Claudio Spiess (not Forum but application for Tech Scout Skydreamer, good CV)

Ana Roscan (not Forum but good CV)

This means that you can start search for funding ( CF, tech scout, University, locat Authorities…, family and friends).

A few tips:
    1-  passport to be done at soonest ( far from summertime…) http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/1090
    2 -the flight cost is less if you buy far before the Tour. The cheapest last year was American Airlines from Venezia …around 600 Euro AR
    3- The inscription fee to La Storia nel Futuro – invoice 1500 Euro (plus IVA if to a IVA subject) – is due within July 31, 2017
    4- Foreigners ( Not italian passport ) among u verify immediately how it works the touristic VISA from yr country to USA.
    any other question Welcome!
    We’ll organize a full group meeting in Milan  End of May- June to make group and know one each other. Maybe on Saturday!
    Stay tuned
    Here start the …cool story! 🙂
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Paolo Marenco.
    Marta Pancaldi
    Participant
    @martapancaldi

That’s the kind of news that improves your day! 🙂

As Florian reminded me, since we are travelling for less than 3 months, there’s no need for a VISA for Italian people, but the ESTA module is necessary in addition to the Passport. It can be filled in online (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/) and it should take few days… I applied this morning and I already received the confirmation.

I’m looking forward to meeting in Milan and then, hopefully, the SV tour 🙂

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all, happy to announce our retreat in Milano , Bicocca University  U6 Building , Room 01B,  Piazza dell’Ateneo Nuovo 1 ( Bus 87 from the right side of Stazione Centrale)

May , Friday 19.   Agenda:

2,30 pm Welcome by Bicocca people

2,40-4,30 Roberto Bonzio http://www.italianidifrontiera.com  Inspiring talk . Roberto, out of the box journalist,  is the guide of Italiani di Frontiera Silicon Valley Tours held since 2011 for 200 managers and entrepreneurs

4,30- 7 Paolo Marenco introduction to all the City teams : Torino, Novara, Castellanza, Milano, Trento,  Bolzano, Padova, Genova. Every team will introduce the attendees one by one, the actual status of their participation ( Crowdfunding, Tech Scouting, other ) . Sinergies among teams, Q&A.

Tour Program Presentation, useful things to know going to Silicon Valley and California ( for those who add to the SVST vacation time)

It’s only the second time we do such retreat, thanks to Bicocca!, I think will be great for mutual knowledge and sharing programs and ideas!

(language will be Italian  😉

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all,

the  hotel address necessary to obtain  ESTA VISA is:

Comfort Inn

El Camino Real 1818 ,

Redwood City,  CA 94063

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Bolzano Silicon Valley’ is closed to new replies.