Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Liguria Silicon Valley 2019

52 replies, 20 voices Last updated by Giorgia Delogu 4 years, 9 months ago
  • Riccardo
    Participant
    @rickyrosso

Hello everyone

My name is Riccardo, I give assistance for phones and computers. I have worked 6 months in a shop and then 3 years in Samsung as technician. Now I am a freelancer with VAT registration number.

At the moment I have a project, called “Team Application”, it is based by custom events to create. The objective of this app (only for iPhone for now) is generate new connections between people in the world, finding new experiences and new true friendships. It is very easy to use and very quicky. Stay tuned! šŸ˜‰

Thanks to Paolo I discovered this initiative and I so excitated to find new opportunities like this. I am very eager to take part in this opportunity since I am expecting to learn a lot of useful things and live such an outstanding experience.

See you soon!

Davide
    Participant
    @deddy21

Hy,

I’m Davide and I’mĀ attending 4th class high school studying electronic technician in Genoa in Gastaldi-Abba Institute.

I discoveredĀ SVST throught my electronic professor.
    I know C, C++ and Ladder programming languages.
    I’m very interested in software and hardware develop and in my projects built at school i make them both, i usually use Arduino to create my projects but also STM32 and ESP32.
    In my free time I repair all electronic devices like smartphones, computer tablet since i was in 2nd secondary school.
    I learnt programming and electronics basics on my own with the help of internet, I also love engines since 2 years iĀ  modifie engines for my friends.
    Last year I attended 2 weeks as School-work alternation in a company called “Green Project” in Genoa where i learn how industral machine works, how PLC talk to each other and i have enhanced my knowlenge in Ladder and AWL.
    When I was at the “Green project” I was signed up to CyberChallenge.IT, i passed the first exam but suddently i didn’t went to the final admition exam.
    So in conclusion I’m interested in programming, developing IoT devices, Server network and so on.

So here is what I am

Lorenzo Daidone
    @lorenzodaidone

Dear all,

In just over two months, Nvidia’s shares have lost nearly half of their value. The GPU manufacturer’s shares were trading at $281.02 on September 28ā€”an all-time high for the 25-year-old giant. In December 14, they traded as low as $146.45.

This could be a signalĀ about crypto’s immediate future.

When the crypto boom began, Nvidia’s GPUs were considered standard for mining rigs. As the value of cryptocurrencies skyrocketed, so did interest in mining. That created a surge in demand for Nvidia’s chips. By Q2 of 2018, purchases from crypto miners accounted for nearly 10% of Nvidia’s revenue.

I’m very curious about your relationship with cryptocurrencies. Have you ever invested in them? Do you know anyone who did it? And would you start doing it now?

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hy guys , I give you a project toĀ  comment on its page. Michele Cipollone , Genoa guy studying in UALĀ  ( University of Arts of London) selected to attend the SVST August 2019, launched this project with a team,Ā  selected among the best 30 by the European Commission.

According to the quality of the comments theyĀ  will receive from the net within January 20, 2019, Michele will have the possibility to be selected as the first 5 projects that will attend to an Event in Brussels with top people of European Parliament.

Big challenge for Michele! You can comment the project straight on its presentation, putting the comment also here!

have nice Holidays!

Marco Lanteri
    Participant
    @endermark

Hi Lorenzo!

I’ve always been fascinated by cryptocurrencies, but I’ve never invested in them.
    I’m not planning on doing so in the near future, since I feel like it’s a very unsafe investment.
    While some people undoubtedly made a fortune with little to no knowledge in finance by just buying some Bitcoins at the right moment,
    others have lost just as much due to incorrect timing.

However, what really intrigues me is the system operating behind cryptocurrencies, namely the blockchain.
    Here’s a very interesting video explaining the concept.

Another matter of interest is how Bitcoins and other similar currencies are created, or “mined”.
    As you mentioned, when the crypto boom began, people used GPUs to do so.
    The blockchain is set up in a way to keep the time needed to mine a block approximately constant, despite advancements in technology (and in computing performance).
    As a consequence, GPUs became outdated quite quickly in this field and more efficient hardware was needed for profitable mining.
    FPGAs were used for a while, but nowadays every serious Bitcoin miner buys or designs application specific integrated circuits (ASICs), like this one.

If I were to invest in “cryptos”, I’d probably buy a mining rig rather than just trading.

In that case, my ROI would strongly depend on the cost of electricity, which unfortunately is quite high here in Italy.

As for GPUs, they may still turn out to be useful to mine newer cryptocurrencies, for which ASICs do not exist yet.
    The drawback in this case would be the possible failure of the currency.

What do you think?

See you soon!

Marco

Edoardo Gruppi
    Participant
    @edoardogruppi

Hi Lorenzo!
    I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to answer you before.
    Taking advantage of your brilliant introduction to the argument, I will go straight to the point.

I have never had a great interest in cryptocurrencies. I read something about it occasionally in the lasts months. My actual thought is that I will not invest in them in my near future.
    At first because of the fact that their worth changes very rapidly. It is unpredictable. Consider that in 2017, in the month of December, its value fell from 17 to 10 thousand euros in a few days.
    Moreover, mining crypto value consumes an enormous amount of energy.
    The consumption is connected to the always increasing request of calculating capacity. According to recent researches, 30.5 TeraWatt-hour are used in only one year to mine Bitcoin, the most important cryptocurrency. It is more than the individual average energy need of 159 Nations. It’s very frightening if we think that the greatest part of this energy comes from fossil fuel.
    On the other side, I have to say that crypto values bring lots of advantages. For example, safety and velocity of payments are increased and they aren’t subject to the manipulation by the various governments.

I agree with my friend Marco when he says that he is more intrigued by the Blockchain. This is a revolutionary idea based on the existence of a public, shared, encrypted register to validate the information between users without intermediates. It is constituted by blocks that are chained one to the other. Every block contains data and information. It is quite impossible to modify a block. It would require an incredible calculating capacity.
    Blockchain can be applied to different sectors. Financially using crypto values for transitions. It can be used also in the agroindustrial field or in the healthcare.

This is all. I’m curious to know what do you think about?
    Do you agree with me?

Bye,
    Edoardo

Anonymous
    Inactive
    @

There’s a lot of stuff going on during these months; from the IPO activity to the cool inventions exhibited at CES 2019.

Everything that concerns technology is evolving faster and faster, so the same is for cryptocurrency. Therefore, it’s too hard taking conclusions about crypto’s future. I’ve never invested in them, but I’m interested in whatever is about this theme, especially the relationship between crypto and blockchain. The video recommended by Marco describes clearly how it works.

I’m aware of the complexity of this new reality, so I don’t pretend to know the specific mechanisms of it. However, itā€™s easy to guess the potentials the cryptos and blockchain have; as Edoardo has already said they can be used in different sectors. Creating repositories for stock images and managing copyrights are two other examples considered by two well-known companies such as Kodak and Spotify.

Furthermore, not all cryptos are based on blockchain system. Indeed, IOTA cryptocurrency uses a unique tangle architecture which makes it infinitely scalable, decentralized, modular and with zero transaction fees.

Regarding Nvidia’s recent fall, according to Nvidia’s CEO, a key factor is the “crypto hangover”. But honestly, it’s hard to look at the drop in mining activity. Don’t you think so?

Let me know,

Sarvenaz

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all , ready to the next Federmanager EventĀ  of March 7th onĀ  the way of SVST 2019. You are welcome and you can spread among colleagues.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey all , ready to the next Federmanager EventĀ  of March 7th onĀ  the way of SVST 2019. You are welcome and you can spread among colleagues.

Bartolomeo Tiralongo
    Participant
    @bartofactory

<p dir=”ltr”>Hi guys, how is it going?</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>In this period I’m attracted about smart cities and how it is possible to make smart a “traditional” city. For instance, how would you transform Genoa into a smart city with a feasible steps?</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I think Genoa has a great potential, think about all the excellent academic institutes that are present (IIT, CNR, University,…) but then, look at the digital services that the city offer…I think it’s a little bit poor. Even the statistics confirm this fact, Genoa is placed 26th among the 107 Italian provinces in term of smart city ranking (http://www.forumpa.it/smart-city/icity-rate-2018-la-classifica-delle-citta-intelligenti-italiane-settima-edizione) even if it is cultural ranking is pretty high (8th over 107, according to the IlSole24Ore report on the “life quality”:Ā Ā http://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/qdv2018/.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I’ve thought about an aspect of the city’s life that could be improved, for me improving the public transport it could make a life quality higher, but how? A possible solution could be use an app for the public transport, that don’t give the mere bus waiting time information, but it should be a powerful tool for the public transport provider to control and give a better service.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>With a startup attitude I’ve tried to develop an Android app for the Genoa public transport, trying to improve the look and feel of the actual app to better engage the user. This is just an exercise, I don’t care about selling my app or discourage the usage of the official app, but my scope it is just talk about smart cities and if this kind of solution could be viable for you.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I’ve deleoped also an app for Google assistant, to interact with it speak to Google saying “Parla con Genova bus” and then try to ask waiting times at a specific bus stop like “mostrami i passaggi alla fermata Xx settembre 1” or “tra quanto passa il 20 alla fermata Xx settembre 1?”.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I’ve written a small blog post and I apologize in advance for my storytelling (I’m an engineer šŸ˜Ÿ)
    ā€œGenova Bus, un case study per i trasporti pubblici di Genovaā€ https://link.medium.com/WEXQcgsNuU</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Link to Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bartolomeotiralongo.genovabus</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Link to Google assistant app: https://assistant.google.com/services/a/uid/0000002c3427b7b1?source=web</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>See you in the next Federmanager event on 7th of March</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>P.S. I’m aware that yesterday the AMT released a brand new public transport app.</p>

Marco Zuppelli
    Participant
    @marcozuppelli

Hi guys!
    Iā€™m Marco Zuppelli, 24 years old. Iā€™ve studied Computer Engineering in Genoa and I got my bachelorā€™s degree in 2017 and now Iā€™m getting a masterā€™s degree in Computer Engineerings.
    In the last 2 years I got interested in Computer Security and Data Privacy and Protection, studying the foundations of security and anonymization techniques on different data types.
    I implemented CAHD algorithm in Matlab for transactional data. Given a dataset, I want to anonymizes sensitive tuples minimizing the utility loss.
    I also developed some Android application, one of which is about security analysis on other applications.
    During my academy history Iā€™ve always worked with my friend and colleague Andrea Romdhana, when possible. Now we are developing a wearable device and we are planning to release it on the market.
    I studied how a blockchain and bitcoins works, but Iā€™ve never invested in them. I think that the method on which a blockchain is based is fascinating. In particular I really appreciate how the users are encouraged to be honest, in order to get rewards in the bitcoins system and the mechanism behind that.
    Right now, I donā€™t have any plans to invest on them, but maybe in the future I can give them a chance.

– Marco

Andrea Romdhana
    Participant
    @andreronda

Good morning,
    My name is Andrea Romdhana. I got my bachelorā€™s degree in Computer Engineering in 2017, at University of Genoa (UNIGE). Actually, Iā€™m finishing my studies in Robotics Engineering in UNIGE.
    Iā€™m very interested in Machine Learning and Reinforcement Learning fields.
    During summer 2018, I did an internship at ABODATA in Genoa, where I studied the main machine learning techniques and I improved my data analysis skills.
    My thesis project will be focused on grasping in robotics with an approach based on Deep Reinforcement Learning techniques and it will be held at IIT (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia).
    During my academic history Iā€™ve always worked with my friend and colleague Marco Zuppelli, when possible. Now we are developing a wearable device and we are planning to release it on the market.
    Speaking about cryptocurrencies Iā€™ve been always interested in but Iā€™ve never invested in them due to their value fluctuations. I’m more interested in how the blockchain technology works and how it can ensure the reliability of the transactions, preventing the malicious ones.

Andrea

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hy guys happy to have seen you in Federmanager meeting…cool Event. I hope to meet you in the next meeting on Monday 11Ā  to talk about SVST August 2019:

Marco Zuppelli
    Participant
    @marcozuppelli

Yes, it was a really cool event with a lot of interesting people.

Me and Andrea will be at the next event!

Andrea Petruzzelli
    Participant
    @andreapetruzzelli

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrea Petruzzelli and I’m attending the Unige bachelor in Business Economics. I’ve discover the SVST from the Federmanager meeting that took place on the 7th of march and I immediately wanted to have the chance to be a part of it.

I’ve always been passionate of technology. Since I was a child I spent great amount of time playing with electronic devices, I enjoyed disassembling them and find out what was not working, both on hardware and software side. The interest on technology and its world, grew with me through time influencing my ideas, my friendships and passions. For instance since I started my university studies I spent more time at DIBRIS and in the EMARO lab that in my own department.

It has always been my firm belief that the development of technology should be committed to improve the quality of life and to help lowering social and cultural distance between people allowing easier and cheaper access to information and education.

In October I started my own startup project called ā€œMonomoā€, an integrated communication platform B2B-B2C-C2B that bases its business model on the sharing economy criteria. Moreover, I joined a project called ā€œCasaDigitaleā€ that aims to become an element of attraction and aggregation for everyone, as part of the urban digital transformation plan sustained by the municipality.

I’m inspired and thrilled by the idea of join a unique experience such as this and I expect it to be mind-blowing both from professional and human standpoint!

Cheers,

Andrea

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • The topic ‘Liguria Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.