Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Liguria Silicon Valley 2019

52 replies, 20 voices Last updated by  Giorgia Delogu 2 months ago
  • Andrea Petruzzelli
    Participant
    @andreapetruzzelli

About cryptocurrencies I never had a personal investment experience (unfortunately), they revealed to be a great deal for the first “adventurers”. Anyhow I had my share of stories from friends and papers I had the chance to read. I found interesting the idea of a currency not controlled by an institution, but self-reguleted and controlled by the community. It could become, and maybe it will, the first common international currency not controlled by anyone but the market economics.

What attracted most my attention though, was not the incredible and efficient framework that was built behind it, but the people’s reaction to a new and unknown currency-system. We didn’t understand the social potential underneath it and we used it as another speculative product and not as proper money. We invested in them waiting to increase of value and then turn it into normal currency. This increased their value and with it their purchasing power, but we did not educated ourself to use it properly, I think.

Yet there is a place where cryptocurrency are used most as proper money. When I think about black market today, I don’t think of the usual stereotype anymore. What comes up to my mind is the deep-web, a place where normal money are too dangerous and traceable to be used in and where cryptocurrency found their place as the unique currency acceptable fore those kind of transaction. I think it is interesting, from a human behavioral standpoint, to find out that a currency not placed under the control of an institution found its most vast use in the most uncontrolled environment instead of the normal market.

I know I might have twisted a little bit the point of the debate, but I never had the chance of a confrontation on this.

What is your opinion on how evolved the use of cryptocurrencies?

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

join the next Federmanager meeting on April 3rd. From Silicon Valley, Ettore Leale

Lorenzo Daidone
    @lorenzodaidone

Dear all,

what amazing stories, yours.

One of the things that surprised me when I was near Google’s headquarters was the smile of the employees.
    In your opinion, what is the secret recipe for this result?

And if you were managing super talented people, what would you do to prevent them from going to other companies?

Best,
    Lorenzo

Andrea Romdhana
    Participant
    @andreronda

I think that there are no secrets, everything turns around the employee satisfaction and employee support.
    The perks given to the employees are very important, like free health care, free breakfast, lunch and dinner, subsidised gym and swimming pools and so on.
    This allows the company to have happier employees that means better work, moreover this is a technique to prevent them to go away.

Andrea Petruzzelli
    Participant
    @andreapetruzzelli

I agree with Andrea. The way to create a good bond with your employees pass through their satisfaction. Two are the main things, in my opinion, that a company have to cure whit the same diligence.

1. The benefits companies can provide to their employees – like company cars or public transport cards, health care and so on – that can be managed easily from an enterprise and can become a good way to economize. You can have good leverage making contracts with the service providers when you are “talking” for a huge number of people and it is cheaper for the company instead of paying more the employees so they can pay for those services by themselves;
    2. The environment the employees works in. It’s important that people can feel free to be themself at work. They won’t have to waste energy to think of how to behave and will be more focused on their work, been more productive and inspired by the differences of standpoints acquired from the colleagues.
      I think that an open-minded environment can inspire and satisfy more your employees then a formal one.

Resuming the concept in one sentence I’d say: ” the more a company takes care of their employees, the more the employees will take care of their company. ”

We have a nice example of this kind of managing behavior in Brunello Cucinelli. Known as “the king of cachemire” and respected for his way to manage his company called “human capitalism”. Though that probably all that glitters is not gold, I think he’s a good example of how to manage people and get good results.

Andrea Petruzzelli
    Participant
    @andreapetruzzelli
    Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Hey all how are you? . Here we are to the selection of the eligible girls and guys to come with us in SVST  24-31 August 2019.

You are 13 (11 are students, 2 workers) here. Other could join.

To permit us to evaluate you out of the Forum debate pls made your best and complete Linkedin page in english within March 31. It will be anyway useful for you, in US they ask more the Linkedin page than the CV.

With the Linkedin page and the debate level we’ll made the eligible list within April 20th.

On May 6th, Monday from 4,30 to 7 pm we’ll make interviews with you- in Genoa site, tbd later on– , to have the ranking from 1st to 10th. For who abroad that day, we could connect via Skype

The first 10 will be possibly prized by Regione Liguria- not yet official, in progress.

Anyway every eligible to attend the Tour,  could :

1 make his / her personal Crowdfunding campaign ( like @lorenzodaidone one)

2 trying a Tech scouting project with companies interested to your Tour in Silicon Valley for their biz- tech goals

Jeff Giliberti
    Participant
    @jeffg22

Hi guys!

I’m Jeff, a third-year Computer Engineering major at the University of Genoa. In the last meeting at the university residence “Delle Peschiere”, the details shared sounded really exciting and, ultimately, prompted me to join the discussion for this great opportunity!

I am passionate about Computer Science and algorithmic problem-solving, this passion has its origin in high school years when I participated in the Italian Olympiads of Informatics. Apart from this, I am attending ISSUGE like many of the other guys here and together with Marco Lanteri, we were in the university team for SWERC 2018 which is one of the European ACM ICPC programming contests. I also am a mentee in the large LedTheFuture community which counts, among its mentors, many people from Silicon Valley.

To answer the last question, I think that there are relevant factors that can make the employees more smiling at work. Firstly, the great impact that an employee, from top-tech company, can have in his work is a major motivator for his satisfaction. Secondly, the large perks and benefits that almost all top-tech companies offer to their employees combined with their vibrant community and thriving culture are two factors to take in consideration. Last, but not least, right there you can work alongside brilliant people from all over the world with various as well as impressive backgrounds. Furthermore, in my opinion, is quite difficult to prevent them from going to other companies since it is pretty easy to switch among them and there is such range of different companies and projects that could be understandable after some years going to other companies.

Hoping to be still on time, see you on Wednesday for Manager 4.0

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Hey Jeff, happy to see you here…we meet on April 3rd in Federmanager conference!

Marco Lanteri
    Participant
    @endermark

As Andrea, Andrea and Jeff mentioned, employees’ smiles are an indicator that their company really takes into account their satisfaction and well-being. Of course, workers’ strong passion in their jobs plays a big role, too. I feel like perks and benefits are a good way to offer an enticing working experience. However, what actually prevents talented people from going to other companies is something more profound.

Just like in human relationships, a strong bond between a company and its employees builds on trust and respect. Excellent work has to be recognised and rewarded and the formation of teams of connected people, even outside the office, has to be encouraged. Everyone should be assigned challenging yet doable tasks, giving them a feeling of importance and membership to their workplace. Last but not least, salary is an undoubtedly important aspect for most workers.

On balance, I reckon managing well these elements is the most effective way to avoid losing talented people to some other company offering more lavish perks.

Marco Zuppelli
    Participant
    @marcozuppelli

I agree with you guys.
    The employees must be satisfied with the work they do, they should be stimulated in a creative way to do the best they can.
    The job satisfaction is also important when we speak about health and welfare of an employee, it can improves performances,
    autonomy and flexibility and reduces the stress.
    This results a refusal to abandon one’s work. It is a psychological problem.
    The company should make the job satisfying and stimulating, providing as much as comfortable possible for its employees.
    They also need to ecognize the effort of others and let employees be a part of the group, of the company.

Speaking about Linkedin page, I’m writing it, sorry for delay.
    Unfortunately I won’t be there tonight because I’m out of Genoa.

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Hey all, the interview is postponed at May  Monday 13th, 4,30-7 pm , down town near Brignole. I tell you the adress in a few days.

You will be called every 12 minutes so you need a few time. We’ll make an Agenda.

Riccardo Isola
    Participant
    @rikyiso01

Hello!

My name is Riccardo Isola, i’m a high school student in my fourth year.
    I discovered SVST on social media and thanks to a friend of mine.
    I learned to program on my own Java, Html, C and with some courses Python.
    I assisted in programming and robotics courses for children.
    I spend my free time programming and satisfying my curiosity about computer science.
    Last year i participated in the Cyberchallenge at the University of Genoa.
    At the final competition i arrived 8, i was the first of the high school students.
    I participate in robotics competitions and this experience has led me to compete in the Philippines.
    In May my team and I will go to Rome to take a mention for our scientific project at the Italian Space Agency.

I am fascinated by bitcoins because of their decentralized system that allows the buyer not to depend on banks that can fail, through the use of the blockchain.
    The transaction system and the currency generation system through mining are also very fascinating.
    I like the idea of a new currency system and transaction that goes beyond the conventional payment systems based on structures that are not always modern and efficient.

I would love to take part in this initiative to explore the world of companies that I have always loved.

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Hey all, remember to have yr best Linkedin profile in english for the selection process.

We are waiting the Regione Liguria comnfirmation of support to Ligurian Students (possible early May).

In the meantime we announce that the interviews for the Forum attendees will be held 12 minutes per person on May 16, Thursday from 4 to 6,30 pm

@aizoon , Via San Vincenzo 2 (Torre San Vincenzo), 16th floor , Genova ( aside from Stazione Brignole)

Beginning of May we’ll tell you the time schedule, per person

Lorenzo Daidone
    @lorenzodaidone

Dear all,

The interview on May 16 will focus on getting to know the person, his passion and motivation.

Have fun! 😀

The interview will be held at Aizoon. Anyone who would like:
    • to leave the CV to the company
    • to speak with the HR
    will be able to do so the same day.

Lorenzo

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.