Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2020 Go to Silicon Valley Virtually 2020

161 replies, 51 voices Last updated by Stefania Tibiletti 3 weeks, 1 day ago
  • Christian
    @christianpaesante

Hello everyone!

I liked Carola talk! She was very inspiring and confirmed some of my thoughts and desires.

In particular she stressed about finding a job you like. That was something I luckily realized very soon, but I was questioning myself if it was really important considering all the efforts I was putting in. Carola showed how it can pays off and to keep fighting to get what you want.

I also liked when she metioned how doing something that feels creative or that feels you are creating something is one of the most rewarding things and makes you feel realized. I remember from high school the ancient poetry “The Lamb” we studied in the English Literature. The core concept of the work was the “power of the creation” that the poet was describing. The poet thought that this was same power shared from God in creating its child and by the poet when creating a poetry. The author was telling how he felt this power was raising him to something bigger.

Religion apart, I think creating something is the key to be satisfied at the end of the day and it’s what drives us to wake up every day. I also found this in software: creating something out of nothing but your mind is something beautiful.

What else drives and motivates you everyday?

Katia Palma
    @katia-palma

Hi guys!

Sorry for haven’t written so far.

However, I do really agree with @dariaelena’s though.

And it is for this reason that I really hope to enjoy SVST 2021: I want to prove myself to have the possibilities to do something great in my life!

Mavy
    Participant
    @mavy

Good morning guys,

I hope you are all fine.

I would like to know what you think about yesterday’s conference with Antonio Iannopollo, what struck you most?

What are you taking home?

Daria Arena
    @dariaarena

<p dir=”ltr”>Hello everyone!</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>@mavy In my opinion we should never stop trying to realize our dream because it il will be part of our life and if we love what we do we will do the best job ever and at the end it won’t be seen as a duty, but as our passion, as the thing that inspires us the most. This discussion came up even during some webinairs and this is what I was glad to share during the discussion with Antonella and Emilio.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”> At the same time, there is the possibility that our dream may not come true. But this doesn’t necessary mean that we won’t love the job we are gonna do. Or maybe we discover something we have never thought about. Of course, my main purpose is reaching my goals. At the same time, I like to make new things happen in my life trying to know different things. After all, I think that the most you learn (even in terms of competence) the most you are able to succeed.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>For example, I discovered this project and I tried to gather information and being part of this is a wonderful experience. So, when I knew this opportunity of growth I decided to make it part of my plan. And so now Silicon Valley is one of my aim.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Regarding following a path or changing direction I think that when you know what you want you generally follow a path in order to realize what is in your project. But it doesn’t necessary mean that there aren’t any other ways through which you can reach your aims.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I like watching from different perspectives, it is useful in order to consider all the possibilities and be able to make new experiences be part of your life.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I wish you a good day.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Daria Arena.</p>

Mavy
    Participant
    @mavy

Good morning guys and thanks for your stimulating thoughts.

I’ll finish moderating the forum today and tomorrow will be a new colleague.

I wish you to be able to achieve what you want and hope to see you soon in Silicon Valley all together!

Have a nice Sunday!

Mavy

Matteo
    @matteo30

Hi All,

Passions are that thing that when you go to sleep you can’t wait to get up so you can carry them on, which pushes you to go on even when things are not going as you wanted. They’re a necessary bricks to fulfill your aspirations and the more you commit yourself the more chances you have for success.

Personally I think life is too short to spend it doing a job we don’t like, you have to adapt at the beginning, but never forget to follow your dreams, hard work will surely pay off and if not immediately, you will have to wait a little longer and train your sense of resilience.

From all these Webinairs you can see a common thread that unites all the stories: commitment, desire to take risks and passion for what you do. I’m really glad to have known this project.

Try Again, fail again, fail better. “Samuel Beckett”

Have a nice day guys.

Matteo Prosper

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Matteo.
    Luca
    Participant
    @lucabaldessarini

Hi guys I’m Luca Baldessarini and I will be your forum moderator for the next week!

I’d like to first start by saying that I’m super exited to meet you all, we put a lot of effort into delivering the best Silicon Valley Study Tour experience despite the global pandemic, so I really hope that this whole virtual tour will keep up with your expectations. I actually do not want to bother you with my background but if you want to know a little about me just check out my LinkedIn!

Moving on, let’s kick things off with the first topic of this week. During this strange and tough period, also because of my job but mainly out of passion and curiosity, I’ve dug a lot into the “what will the future of workplace be like” topic. I’ve read tons of articles about it but, instead of sharing one of those, I would like to ask you what are your feelings and thoughts about this, how the future of our offices (or study places) will look like? Will this pandemic forever change the future of how offices, coworkings or libraries are designed? Or we will just get back to normal in a few months? I’m really curious to hear from you guys, please let me know and always remember, the goal here is to constructively interact with each and dissect the topic as much as you can, let’s have some great time together with some amazing conversations!

Finally, I obviously have to remind you about tomorrow’s amazing webinar with Andrea C. Rossi, just don’t miss it.

Have a nice week guys,
    Luca B.

Christian
    @christianpaesante

Hello everyone!

I don’t think future workplaces will dramatically change. I think remote and on-site work will become more balanced. That because I read that several people can’t separate work hours from private life, hence they like to move outside of they’re home or go into the office. Moreover, some of the offices in the tech world are built to encourage cooperation between coworkers.

On the other hand, working remotely let people gain more free-time and flexibility and there are a good amout of supportes of remote/smart working.

I think that in places where smart working wasn’t used before the pandemic, the company will offer more flexibility and opportunity of the workers to work from home. Some companies even realized how an office can be an huge cost. So I think offices will become smaller and remote work will be encouraged.

Let me know what you think!

Gianluca
    @gianluca-pontoni

Hello everyone! I recently found out about this beautiful initiative, I hope it is not too late to try to be part of it.

My name is Gianluca Pontoni, I live in Udine, and I have a background of articulated studies: a degree in ‘computer science and telecommunications‘ and now I have just finished the first year of a master’s degree in ‘economics and finance‘, let’s say I am half a programmer and half an economist. What led me to make these path choices is a great passion for IT (innovate or die they said) and a great passion for the business and finance world, so a little driven by instinct and a little from the passion I found myself having very different backgrounds. Combining the knowledge acquired in my studies, I have created a course with over 400 enrollments (in 6 months), the only one of its kind in Italy: through programming in Python I explain how to create programs useful for business analysis and the financial markets.

I am very happy to have read that there are other people here who pursue my same goals and who share my same values: regardless of the company and the value that I will create the ultimate goal is to have a better world, do good both socially and in environmental terms.

I am a very curious person, I never get tired of learning and I try to seize every opportunity, doing so is the way I discovered this project. I am increasingly aware that the paradigms of the economy are changing and that consequently also the way of doing business and the markets, as I said I am giving my all to learn at any time of the day and to create a business model different from the ones used until now in terms of employees, working hours, respect for the environment and value created for society.

I leave you with a few last words that somewhat reflect my way of acting: positive human ethics for a conscious evolution of humanity.

Gianluca Pontoni

Eleonora
    @eleonoracarletti

Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to thank Giuliano for yesterday’s conference, it was very inspiring to me to hear his amazing story of success (I don’t tag him because I’m not sure he is in the forum but I hope he can receive the message as well)

About the future of workplace I think that smartworking will become more and more integrated in society (especially in the tech field).

The first reason why I think so is that the infrastructure for managing this type of job has already been created and tested during the pandemic situation and so huge amount of money have been payed for that and so I think that it will not stop abruptly.

Probably the days right after the lockdown will stop people will go to the office/university immediately but after a while I think that the presence of family and the confort of being at home will make people go back soon.

About smartworking I would like to open a discussion about the psychological and social consequences that this technology will have on workers.

In my opinion this will be a great opportunity for working parents to spend more time with their children but in the other hand it can result a bit alienating for a young person living alone.

And of course, as @christianpaesante said, find the right work/private life balance is not easy.

I think also that this technology can change the traffic situation in big cities: for example during the pandemic situation a city like Rome was not as trafficated as usual and going somewhere will be easier in terms of time.

Or can populate small cities (mountain on seaside) that normally are desert in some period of the year.

I’m looking forward to hear your opinion on the topic! And see you all soon in the next conference 🙂

Eleonora

Luca
    Participant
    @lucabaldessarini

Thank you guys for your answers!

@gianluca-pontoni welcome to the forum, just jump right into the conversation! What do you think about ? What about the smart working-related “psychological and social” issues that @eleonoracarletti pointed out?

As a general reference for all of you guys, just try to always engage with the conversation even though it is your first presentation message! Remember, we’re trying to have some really deep conversations here.

Have a nice week,
    Luca

Daria Arena
    @dariaarena

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all fine.

Talking about future workplaces, as some said, I think that smartworking will be an additional thing in people’s lives.
    <p dir=”ltr”>This period has made people spend more time at home increasing the amount of free time, but I think that spending time with colleagues is essential both in a work field and in study places.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Interacting with people allows us to see things from different perspectives, develop the concept of problem-solving and keep the conversation high. Our life is reacher when working or studying with others.
    All the competences come together in orther to solve a math exercise, collect ideas for a project and so on.
    Probably smart working may teach us how time may be arranged in order to avoid westing it or how we may split among different situation we can’t materially reach.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I see the future as offices and study places full of people where workers and students are constantly trying to understand others’ ideas and where everyone feel courios and excited while working or studying. Because we should never forget that a job is not only a duty, but most of all a right and when we see it from this point of view we will always be grateful for having the possibility of doing what we love and we will always use our strength to make everything around us grater.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I’m looking forward to reading your ideas.</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>I wish you all a wonderful day,</p>
    <p dir=”ltr”>Daria.</p>

Katia Palma
    @katia-palma

Hi guys!

About the point related to “psychological and social” issues connected to smart-working, I think that this type of approach to work can’t be a good choice forever!

We need contact! Both to be stimulated and to be happy!

Do you agree?

Alex Bisetti
    @alexbisetti

Hi guys!

How are you?

First I want to welcome @gianluca-pontoni in this forum! Then I would like to show my approval of what @katia-palma thinks!

Man is and always has been a social animal like he called it Aristotle, by nature it tends to associate with other individuals; so I think that is impossible to have solid relationships exclusively through a screen.

Now – I hope to do something welcome – I want to introduce a new person that I personally respect: Dario Vignali. (https://www.dariovignali.net/chi-e-dario-vignali/). He created one of the first totally Italian <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>remote companies</span> for <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>digital entrepreneurs</span> (https://wearemarketers.net/chi-siamo/).

Do you know him? What do you think of this?

Luca
    Participant
    @lucabaldessarini

Hi guys, thank you for your answers!

I’m more than happy to leave you with your next super moderator, @GiuliaPiesco!

It was a true pleasure meeting you all, I really hope that after this is over we can also have an in-person meeting.

Good luck with everything, stay safe out there!

Luca

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.