Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Novara Silicon Valley 2017

287 replies, 17 voices Last updated by  Marta Pancaldi 2 years, 1 month ago
  • Martina Valentini
    Participant
    @martinavalentini

Hi guys! Good Morning! How are you? Now I’m in university, as most of you!

I saw the conference and I interested, in particular, of the part ”audience segmentation”.

@matteocagia..I talked to many people on the issue of the location, since high school.

Than our parents and grandparents, we are free to learn, thanks to the web we are always update, but we’re monitored, every day, every moment.

Are we sure that is freedom?

Probably they manage our needs and our choices, before that we understand to have them.

Carlo Zanotti
    Participant
    @carlozanotti

@domet97 Yeah i know about Edward and his “escape”. I’m totally agree with you. If you think that Mark Zuckerberg cover his webcam and his Mic jack with the tape you can understood that the contemporaney  “Big brother”  is watching us. So probably the use of data in U.S. is easier to keep than other country like Italy (that has more restricted policy about privacy) . Is enough for us and our safe? I don’t know but for sure is a way forward for our privacy.

Domenico Talento
    Participant
    @domet97

@matteocagia You are right, maybe people are most interested catching the new iPhone instead manifesting against privacy policy of many government. I really believe that a serious company like Apple, keeps safe all the data stored by users. For example Apple company hired many hackers to discover backdoors of the iOS software and iCloud storage service. For that reasons I’m really happy and grateful to spend my time in line in front of the Apple Stores to buy a new device than can feel me safer. I suggest you to read the article of the WashingtonPost linked to the San Bernardino’s terrorist attack of the last year. This show up the seriousness of the company , and the following words by Tim Cook are to underline: “But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.”

link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-wants-apple-to-help-unlock-iphone-used-by-san-bernardino-shooter/2016/02/16/69b903ee-d4d9-11e5-9823-02b905009f99_story.html?utm_term=.84b2fa909726

Domenico Talento
    Participant
    @domet97

@carlozanotti Unfortunately the programmes spoilered by Snowden keep data in the whole world, especially in the Middle East to prevent terrorist attack , but to arrive to a terrorist you have to spy relatives and friends that in turn have other relatives and friend . That’s an infinite loop, and that’s why we are all potentially spied.

Alberto Conte
    Participant
    @albertoconte

The issue of Big Data is having over the years more and more importance, even if the attempt to influence people opinion exists from the dawn of time. Obviously, before the Internet era, there were more difficulties in this regard and targeting was certainly much less effective because information they had available were less important or focused to less effective means than, i.g., psychological ones.

I doubt that Big Data is one of the evil in the world. In my opinion, the biggest problem with any (initially neutral) powerful tool is how it is used, like a double edged sword. Can the splitting of an atom be described as a plague? Not at all. On the contrary, it was pure innovation that led us to nuclear energy, but this has also led us to the atomic bomb. Similarly, not concerning scientific topic, even religion can be seen positively and negatively at the same time: it can educate people to behave ethically in unselfish and peaceful manner, but – as we well know – it can also instill hatred, ignorance and violence. Similarly, the Big Data Analysis, which is nothing but the study of a large amount of information to discover and understand connections that before would have been impossible to note, is “heaven” and “hell” at the same: on the one hand, it can be used in a positive way, for example, by psychology to deeply understand every aspect of the human psyche, by studies in order to optimize the use of resources in environmental, management, or other fields, by the deployment of police forces where the crimes have more likely to occur, or by the study of the associations between air quality and health (etc.); however – as we read in the article – on the other side Big Data can be used, for example, to influence the people opinion.

Neither this use in itself could be potentially negative but, if this leads entire countries population to take or accept particularly negative decisions forgetting all consequences that extremism had in our past, Big Data for sure could be an extremely dangerous vehicle/weapon, of which it is best to be careful or, indeed, to act against it. The “environmental” problem is that we are fully immersed in the wonderful world of the Internet and social networks, which are difficult to be positively controlled by individuals (or their contribution hardly can affect many other people in the same direction), while large companies and organizations have in hand either big data or all the means to use them (unscrupulously) to their advantage (or both). However, even if it may seem utopian nowadays, I think it can possible, through education or cultural/apolitical movements/parties or through internet sites and apps themselves (to fight fire with fire), in order to make people conscious about the importance of privacy and total freedom, about the power inside the opinion influences or about a real understanding of our past and its cyclical nature.

Anyway, in order to answer Carlo, for sure – in the internet, intelligent devices and security camera system – we are not totally free and our privacy is not totally ours, but – in a way or in another – we chose/accept that. Power and money move the few in their interests, even if these are against the interests of many (and this always happened and always will).

Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

Hi everyone I’m Andrea Annalisa.

I’m attending the third year of economy at UPO and I’m also a journalist.

I’m so glad to take part at this group is such a wonderful opportunity to create a virtual place where thoughts and ideas can spread freely.

Thanks so much for the interesting article about Trump and the Big date. I had follow a lot the last presidential election in America, and I read a lot of articles by Italian and American journalists about the use that Trump made of the social network.

The last presidential election was the first in the American’s story were the candidates had used the social media world as a battlefield. Trump with his irreverent style posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram a lot of contents. His political campaign talked not only to the high-minded cultural gathering but also to the suburbs. He did a mass campaign. And is interesting to find out the most frequent words that he used. The first three were : WIN, STUPID and WEAK ( article about Trump’s 20’ frequently words : http://www.yourdictionary.com/slideshow/donald-trump-20-most-frequently-used-words.html ) . So he understood how communication can hit the population and that sometimes the best way to be remembered is scandalized the interlocutor as Oscar Wild said “«There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about».

Of course the election of Trump was the most commented on the internet in the story of the White House. Barack Obama was the first president 2.0, who used the social networks as an instrument of propaganda and information. But what is happening now with Donald is something new and no algorithm could predict this. Just on the election night more of 75 million twitter were written. And on Facebook the number of interaction was even more 716,5 million. The question could be “guess why”? . The answer is easier than expected American like Italian prefers to be informated by the internet ( in America 67% of people prefer internet than classical media), because is a platform where you are someone, where you can say your opinion whatever it is.  You can be raging, patriotic, happy, sad. You can show your opinion, you are part of the information, you can create information and not only suffer it like it is in the classical media like TV or newspaper. But there is also the downside this phenomenon creates the “echo chambers” that is the fact that people on social networks don’t do nothing more that reshape the opinion that they just have. If Trump thanks to the Big Date had store up a lot of information useful for is campaign such as patriotism, social problem, crisis and so on, for the newspaper this campaign was a failure in fact their algorithm were believing in the winning of Hilary.

Finally I also like to purpose you a very interesting article that is a sort of antithesis of what we are talking about the topic of this article. The quesion is: “Can internet be an instrument of disinformation?”. The answer is obviously “yes”. Check it out : http://reports.weforum.org/global-risks-2013/risk-case-1/digital-wildfires-in-a-hyperconnected-world/ .

Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

@carlozanotti  the problem of being unconsciously part of a Big Brother, as said Orwell that is “watching you”, is real. Everytime that you do something on a device with an internet connection all of your actions are recorded. I think that Google know us more that how we do. But in according to Domenico sometimes is for our safe. I always remember the words of an electronic engineer, who taught me everything I know about internet world who said me “You freedom ends where stars freedom of others”. So I think that take part of the Big Date could be useful to protect if not you maybe someone else.

Domenico Talento
    Participant
    @domet97

Hi Andrea! Thank you for joining the forum. I think that internet is something with infinite power, placed in the hands of all who have a connection. As a tool, not everybody can handle it and figure out how it is deeply inside. Just saying that internet can make you reach, can make you poor, can make you informed, can make you misinformed. It depends by you, for example, if you really want to know something about news, you have first of all to trust the sources, and not to read the first article advertised on facebook written by someone unknown. In conclusion, you can potentially know all human knowledge, just know how to look and not just type on wikipedia.com.

In my case I can say that internet makes me interested in world’s problems and makes me skillful and cunning!

Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

I agree with you. I think that our generation have a powerful instrument that is internet but maybe what our generation doesn’t have are the instruments for use it in the best way. We have an amazing power in our hand but sometimes we are unable to use it! Most of our peers use internet only for social networks or in order to see movies but the real power of this amazing device, that connect all the word, is something more. You can travel around the word remaining in your own room, you can read information about everyting. A lot of the most important library of all the word had added on their web site the eBook of amazing historical book like first edition of the masterpieces by authors like Jane Austen, Edgard Allan Poe or D’Annunzio and a lot of historical documents. I think that in the schools nowadays must be added some class about the power of internet and how to use it, in order to teach to the students how they can increase their knowledge using the worldwideweb. Teaching IT is not enough students must be educated in how to use it for create their personal baggage! What do you thing about?

Martina Valentini
    Participant
    @martinavalentini

Hi Andrea , it is true, often the web is used in a superficial way. But I think, social haven’t online negative aspects, but they represent a great tool.

Facebook represents a tremendous opportunity information, learning, entertainment and communication that supports the children in carrying out daily activities, from study to entertainment. It gives the ability to be upgraded through participation in interesting groups, contact friends, to feed the thirst for knowledge through the sharing system therefore is a facilitator of socialization through the real-time contact.

We must still teach the kids a more conscious use of the web.

Carlo Zanotti
    Participant
    @carlozanotti

Completely agree with @domet97 and @andreaannalisa. We live in the period of one of the most important invention of the history that is the world wide web.The knowledge and the information is almost to everyone (howewer everyone have a internet connession and a computer). Ignorance in never so minimized like today. But obviusly there are the risk and the digital misinformation is concrete. I think we have to do a judicious use of Internet and about information personaly I search many different argumentation concerning one topic. Maybe like Andrea said a culture and a learning about the corrett use of  Internet is not a bad idea.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Carlo Zanotti.
    Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

It’s true Facebook is an exiciting place where informations and opinions can grow up like seeds in the ground. This social network can create bridges between people of all over the world. It changes our life so deeply, also our habits are strongly influenced by Facebook. But I think that so much adolescents use this app just to be appeased by the “likes”. And I think is not enough!  I agree with you Martina in particular about the groups on Facebook I’m enjoying a page that I want to suggest you, it is called <b>Tech Insider</b>. This page Is very interesting is about tech, culture, science and more! Let me know if you will enjoy it!

Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

@carlozanotti Sorry Carlo I just read your post because we were writing at the same time! It’s true we are living in a period of innovation and the internet is our contemporary. If you think about the most popular web site are all super young! Facebook was created in 2004, Youtube in 2005, Netflix was a project created in 1997 but their streaming started in 2007, Twitter in 2006 and Uber in 2009. We are taking part to the best technology revolution ever!  We are in the 4th industrial revolution, the smart manufacturing one that is about super robot, argumented reality, 3D printing and so one. Check it out this video about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpW9JcWxKq0

Martina Valentini
    Participant
    @martinavalentini

Hi @andreaannalisa I saw the webpage that you suggested me few hours ago and I strongly believe that it is really interesting, it contains a good amount of curious and captivating comments about technology and innovation in general and  it’s also fun to read and easy to understand.

However, when I’m looking for some “serious” and reliable informations (inside social media contexts) I tend to search them through LinkedIn or Twitter.

I do that because I believe that Facebook is undoubtedly an excellent S.M., with lots of contents and news, but unfortunately not all of them are always reliable or trustworthy.

What do you think about it? Have you ever searched detailed news inside the social media that I’ve abovementioned? Can you notice the difference between “professional” social media’s posts and those of the normal ones?

Andrea Annalisa Baiardi
    Participant
    @andreaannalisa

Of course social media can be used in a “serious” way as you said before or in a more light way as the most of the people do. Statics said that 61% of people on Facebook just post thinks about their on life and are interested only in the reactions of their “friends” like likes and comments. I complitley agree with you it dipends on the kind of person that are use that social. Of course LinkedIn has got a more formal impostation because is a social that was made just for the job’s world. About twitter I thinks that is a social full of contradictions is a perfect compromise between serious and informal information! I want to know what you think about this amazing influencer and anthropologue that @carlozanotti indoduced to me. His name is Simon Siked this is the video that most impressed me https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 288 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Responses

1. Pingback: Novara Silicon Valley 2017 - Fondazione Novara Sviluppo

Comments are closed.