Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2018 Novara Silicon Valley 2018

292 replies, 22 voices Last updated by andrea turcato 6 years, 4 months ago
  • Claudio De Santis
    Participant
    @claudiodesantis

Good evening guys!!

Your ideas are all right, Novara should work with Turin and Milan to grow even more, but not because these cities are better, but obviously being bigger have many more capital circulating in them.

As I live in Turin I feel a city that offers millions of possibilities. I have done for a few years the Politecnico di Torino, I have lived from inside, how much the city of Turin aids the Politecnico to improve and how much Politecnico helps the city of Turin to grow with various projects.
    They are two entities that grow together day by day, they help each other, and if Turin is the important city that is, international, with thousands of students coming from all over the world to study, it’s also thank to Politecnico.
    The city of Turin has invested in the Politecnico and has had a huge return from an economic point of view and innovation.

Novara should take advantage of the excellent industrial zone where it is located, it is an area of incredible potential, especially if it takes advantage of the university and the young’s ideas as an aid to innovate and grow.
    A city that invests in the University can only benefit.

I found this little article that explain the Novara’s situation. https://www.faccecaso.com/2017/05/30/novara-crescita-giovani/

What do you think?

Claudio De Santis

andrea turcato
    Participant
    @andrea95

Good evening guys!

I agree with @claudiodesantis! Novara is not a huge city but it’ s not even small! In my opinion Novara is a perfect place for work! There isn’t traffic people so there is the possibility to work with more calm and peace; on the other hans it’s supported by a lot of infrastructures and it has UPO university! Like @claudiodesantis says, a city with young students people is a richness! I think that for us it’ s easier to emerge in a city like Novara respect of Milan or Turin. In addition, we don’t forget that Novara is located between Turin, Varese and Milan and so it can reach more provinces and different cultures and ideas.

Goodnight

ANDREA TURCATO

Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Good evening!!!

In support of what we said about the importance of the university in the territory of Novara, I want to publish the ranking published by Sole 24 Ore of the best Italian universities.

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/speciali/classifiche_universita_2016/home.shtml

We are still some backward position compared to some Turin and Milan universities, but I think for a young university like ours is a great achievement the tenth position in the ranking. I think there are a good prospect of growth over the years.

We can see how the University of Eastern Piedmont compared to the 2015 ranking is growing. I think this is an excellent index and starting point to give a competitive advantage to Novara.

Do you believe that this growth at university level and therefore prestige could have a good impact on Novara?

Dalila

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Hi @dalilasina!! Concerning Linkedin, I am very happy about the talk we will have with Manuel Cherchi about Linkedin and his background. Even if I am already registered on Linkedin, for sure it would be interesting to understand how it works and how is to work in it.

I was also following the 5 UPO guys that went to SV this summer during the SVST, thanks to the website and socials, and I found also this article: https://studentssentimentsv.wordpress.com/2017/08/24/a-tu-per-tu-con-linkedin/ In this article, they were talking about their experience in Linkedin where they met also Manuel Cherchi too. It seems to be a really stimulating place to work in, a social network that is growing with a rhythm of 2 subscribers per second and where they learn 5 important lessons, such as the importance of failure and the importance of daring we already talked about.

Sara

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Surely the impact will be positive for Novara enriching the society and the territory, both economically and socially. Investing in education will bring significant benefits in the future, given the rapid growth of our university.

Concerning what @dalilasina said I know Enactus because I took part off it this year.
    Some students and I have created a Team named ENACTION UPO made up of university students from different faculties such as Biotechnology and Medicine (I’m the only one in Economics).
    Our idea would be to create a Cooperative made up of a Unemployed Team of Health Care Professionals, namely Nurses, Obstetricians and Dental Hygienists who, through the aid of a mobile vehicle, can reach isolated communities or have more difficulty accessing to medical check-up services, to enable a pre-selection of patients in order to reduce the overcrowding of first aid and the various basic medical outpatient clinics.
    The mission of our project (that is called HEALTHY BUS) is to create jobs in the sanitary field as well as to increase the diffusion in the area of ​​prevention, offering a free and public service.

In July we participated in our first Enactus Italian National Competition: it was interesting and constructive to confront with students from Cattolica in Milan and the University of Trento.

What do you think of our idea?

Sara

Andrea Re
    Participant
    @andrea-re

Hi guys!

Sorry for my absence but this weekend I have been quite busy working in a trade show.

@dalilasina
    I found very interesting the article about linkedin that you posted. In addiction at what suggested in the article, I think linkedin is a powerful tool to create a network of contacts that enrich your career prospects. I also use linkedin to see what has been the path to success of business men and people working in field that I am interested in. This give me a perspective of what are the best “roads” to take to reach my goal.

Then as you said guys, a great university is a start point to create value in our territory and creating partnership with companies and institutions would give to Novara a huge competitive advantage. There should be more projects as Enactus and SVST that give to students the opportunity to come in contact with the world of entrepreneurship and facilitate the developing of student projects.

Anyway one of the most difficult steps in creating a startup is creating a great team. Most of the times people lack of the necessary skills to run a startup and this skills could be taught in university and especially developed working in innovative companies. For these reasons, as I said, partnerships with companies and organizations are very important to growth the network of influence of universities.

@sara
    Healty Bus seems a very interesting project! We always need to improve prevention and interventions in the sanitary field and I wish you good luck with the project 😊

See you tomorrow at the conference!

Stefania Tibiletti
    Participant
    @stefaniatibiletti

Hello guys!

I’m happy that you can see the pros and cons about Novara and about the environment that is around you!

I’m glad that you spoke about Enactus as my classmates particpated in July too, I saw their efforts and I was with them before the presentation in Milan when I was in Campus Party! If you may have the possibility, I suggest you to go to Campus Party, Is an amazing experience! I met a lot of people and there were amazing conferences about technology, start ups and innovation!

http://italia.campus-party.org/

Moreover It’s amazing the fact that you have the opportunity to met Manuel! He is amazing! Probably he is the happiest people that I met during the tour, his smile is contagious. He is really passionate about his job and I’m sure that you’ll enjoy the meeting! In addition I suggest you to ask Manuel which benefits Linkeding gives to their employees, you will discover a completely different working environment!

Here you can find some interesting articoles to speak about this new topic, the welfare at work, what do you think about this?

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/people/linkedin-employees-parents-work

http://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-office-tour-san-francisco-2017-4?IR=T/#employees-rock-out-in-the-music-room-though-you-wouldnt-know-it-from-the-next-room-they-plug-their-instruments-into-a-system-that-plays-their-music-through-headphones-12

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Hi @stefaniatibiletti! Unfortunately I wasn’t at the campus party because of work reasons but next year I will join it for sure!

As for work-related welfare, I found interesting to read the initiatives proposed by Linkedin about the days where is possible to bring workers’ parents to Linkedin. Also Linkedin’s structure is impressive because, looking at the images in the link you suggested, it seems to be more a 5 stars hotel than a workplace! It looks like a place designed to stimulate the creativity and efficiency of those who work there. It would be a dream if every workplace was like this one!

During the course of “Family Business” I’m following, I talked about corporate welfare and personally I strongly believe that welfare can give employees an incentive to make them feel better and stimulate them to work better. From my point of view, the benefit is not only for employees but also has a positive impact on the company.

Moreover, a fidelity relationship is created between the worker and the company.

Sara

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Sara Biscuola.
    Claudio De Santis
    Participant
    @claudiodesantis

Good evening, Guys!!

@dalilasina
    I am very much in agreement with what you said about our university, and even seeing the various articles on the University of Novara are even more aware that I have made a great choice for my future, academic and business. Linkedin we don’t discover it now, it is a cutting edge company in the industry, has innovated the way of finding work and also the way of working within a company, it has revolutionized the way to understand “work” in general. Knowing and listening someone who works and who helps each day improve a company that is already years ahead of others can only be a motivation for us.

@sara
    your idea is truly innovative and could change the way people can help in a healthcare sector that needs to be ready for any emergency. The faster the service is, the more possibilities that service will be effective. And besides improving the health service, new jobs for nurses and doctors would be created. Very good idea.

Claudio De Santis
    Participant
    @claudiodesantis

@stefaniatibiletti As for welfare at work, I believe that at this historic moment, well-being is one of the main parts of the work itself. We came out of the period where work was to be seen as a commitment, as something bad, however, companies realized that having happy employees would have had a positive impact on the company as well.
    With Professor Candiotto, through one of his lessons, we met Dr. Sonia Spataro, HR Manager at Ermenegildo Zegna, and she explained to us that companies are following the path of making a positive place for work. Through her work, she listens to the needs of the workers, what they need, and she tries to satisfy them, because a happy human resource will have confidence in the company where he works and above all, through his ideas and creativity, he can help company to grow and to improve. Motivating the workers also thanks to Coaches, people who help in the difficulties and motivate the workers to highlight all their strengths. Also at the meeting with Dr. Sara Frassine of Maire Tecnimont, where he talked about the various types of innovation that they have brought to their company to improve their workplace through “smart work”, choosing where and how to work, to combine their work with the needs of the person. The person will finds the right place where he is comfortable to achieve the goals the company wants that him reach, at home, at office, at park, where do he wants. Companies are understanding, the Italian ones now, that the important thing is to achieve their goals, and surely a happy person is more enthusiastic and motivated to achieve corporate goals. This is the future of work, a very simple thing.

What do you think about it?

I look forward to knowing Manuel Cherchi and to get to know his job idea, and how he lives in a big company like Linkedin, listening to his experience and paying attention to the advice that he will give us.

See you tomorrow, Guys!!!

Claudio De Santis

Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Hi @stefaniatibiletti,

I think welfare in the company is one of the most topical questions. I think it’s very important to have a relaxed and positive climate in the company, but especially have some benefits that make it easy to stay in the businesses.

This culture of welfare is not such a young culture as one can think, it does not date back to the last few years. We think of example to Adriano Olivetti. He was a precursor to the walfare. He guaranteed maternity to his employees (full 9 months), gave health care to the employees and also the possibility of providing education. This made Olivetti a unique company on the territory, and anyone who was dependent did not want to abandon it because there wasn’t other company offering these conditions. For these reasons it can be stated that welfare did not only impact on the company but also on the whole society. In fact, an entrepreneur attentive to the needs of his own company will also be attentive to the needs of the entire community.

Many current entrepreneurs should take example from people like Olivetti who were attentive to the serenity of their employees, because if they are satisfied with their job, more they work and the more they are motivated and productive to work to improve their business. That was what Max Brigonzi had told us.

In any case, I think that now entrepreneurs are aware that welfare is fundamental and therefore they are conforming to big companies like LinkedIn.

Dalila

Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Hi guys!

I think the theme of corporate welfare is very well linked to the issue of corporate responsibility and Social Report.

The Social Report represents the certification under the ethical profile of a society, not only in structural but above all moral sense, in the eyes of the community of reference, a time to emphasize its link with the territory, an opportunity to affirm the concept of enterprise as a good citizen, that is, an economic subject pursuing his or her prevalent interest, contributes to improving the quality of life of the members of the society in which it is placed.

What do you think about this theme ??

In my opinion, it is a very important certification and all companies should adopt it, especially because it improves the image of the company. If all companies adopt it, they would have to stick to ethical standards that the company would like to keep.

Dalila

Andrea Re
    Participant
    @andrea-re

Hi @stefaniatibiletti!
    Welfare has a key role in a company. It led benefits not only to the workers but also to the company and the whole society as @dalilasina said. Welfare increases the employer branding of the company that allow to it to hold and attract talents. It also increases workers’ productivity and motivation. Although it is not always possible to have a welfare as big companies have, such as gym, canteen and swimming pool, because it requires a huge amount of capital. SMEs can not afford it. Anyway almost every company can afford lower benefits such as health insurance, training courses and subscriptions to public transport.

It is also cheaper for an Italian company gives benefits to workers instead of monetary bonus, because most of them are not taxed http://www.diritto24.ilsole24ore.com/art/dirittoLavoro/2016-06-24/servizi-welfare-aziendale-e-detassazione-chiarimenti-agenzia-entrate–115652.php

See you later guys!

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

@andrea and @claudiodesantis thanks guys to appreciate the idea of Healthy Bus!

I agree with you @dalilasina, every company should have its own report to highlight business results because it is fundamental to correct and conscious management.

The voluntary interest of companies, as regard to social and ecological issues should be part of the enterprise culture.

See you later!!

Sara

Tommaso
    Participant
    @tommaso-moraca

Hi @stefaniatibiletti, I think that welfare represents another key topics in next future. But As @dalilasina said, it isn’t a recent one, we’ve seen it since the 30th with the Olivetti case. Companies has became more and more sensitive about their employees and their emotional and psychological conditions, that’s why a good welfare improves them and make workers feels important and involved, but also stimulated and protected. There are so much theories saying how much is important the motivations and all the psychological aspects, throughout a good welfare policy companies can reach those goals. People are crucial for companies’ activities and without them, every entrepreneurs can’t do nothing. As @andrea-re said, the welfare exposed by the guys who had made SVST, in our country is difficult to obtain, but something starts moving: thanks to Candiotto, we have the opportunity to meet Chiara Repinto from PuntoService, she said that they are improving their welfare including FidelityCard with benefits or courses, but also near us Giacomini has a preschool inside the company. It’s the opposite of what Amazon is doing, and it’s strange to see a worldwide companies linked with these kind of issues.

Organizations will be obliged to turn into sustainable business, sustainable in its wide sense, so: renewable energy, welfare, creation of value for the countryside; regarding that topic I’ve an article for you https://www.tpi.it/2017/04/23/grande-birrificio-a-pannelli-solari-mondo-taranto/

Sorry if I don’t reply to all your questions or don’t reads all the articles but I’m actually busy due to universities engagements.

@sara
    good luck with your project, I would like to hear something more at this evening’s meeting.

See you later!!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 293 total)
  • The topic ‘Novara Silicon Valley 2018’ is closed to new replies.