Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2018 Novara Silicon Valley 2018

292 replies, 22 voices Last updated by andrea turcato 6 years, 4 months ago
  • Claudio De Santis
    Participant
    @claudiodesantis

Good evening guys,

Hi @marcomorello, I’m fine and happy to stay here in this forum and you?

@stefaniatibiletti

The discuss on the Big Data in more important and compless and obviously it’s divided between the good use of this information, such as say by @sara that the Big Data can change the world but in my opinion if the regulation don’t change and don’t control this big numbers of information, the Big Data can be a problem, all this information in hand of few person without control.

@dalilasina
    I think that the social network are one of the most, perhaps the first, mode to gather by the companies the information of our interests, hobby and needs, every information that we put on social network are a possible way to find a form of gain.

@sara
    your question is more crucial on this discuss the Big Data are a new begin for privacy for me, a new begin of that we think about privacy, we wiil be able to understand that the social network can be dangerous and that be use with attention.

Thanks to everyone.
    Claudio

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Hi everybody!

@andrea-re
    !! As I said before, businesses have a number of advantages.

Reading various articles we can take advantages, for example as regard to the reduction of crime and as I have anticipated in another article we can have benefits in the medical fields.

Of course, our privacy is undermined, and we still have to understand how to prevent the causes, so in my opinion the Big Data don’t cause only disadvantages for the community.

I quote the article that I’m reading: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/pharmaceuticals-and-medical-products/our-insights/the-role-of-big-data-in-medicine

As explained in the article, aggregating Big Data, models are produced and they will be tested and applied to individuals, evaluating results, refining models and so on. Questions will become easier to answer.

The advantages are that they will be able to prevent the disease, a great success in the medical field.

That’s what Big Data and their analysis in the health industry: creating customized medicines, improving quality of care and avoiding waste of money.

Sara

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Hello Claudio!,  welcome to the forum!

@dalilasina
    and @claudiodesantis i agree with you!

Today we still have to understand how to move and we risk every day to steal our identity.
    Preventing risks it’s not easy but we can limit them, and how? In my opinion reading articles, studying and more…we have to understand ourselves the truth, through the information.

Personally  I think that I’ve given permission to use my data with a click without knowing well what I’m doing, because from the moment that we offer our data the implications that come from it are unknown.

Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Hi @sara,

the use of big data within medicine would be an amazing revolution. In the center of health there will be no more diseases, but the person with his genetic heritage, his living habits, the structure of his brain and his ability to interact with machines and computers, the territory where he lives and so many other variables. The big data will be examined in a new way, capable of providing more precise indications. Personalized medicine is one of the most ambitious goals of international research.

On the topic of big data I want to propose you this article:

https://tech.co/lesara-big-data-fashion-startup-2016-04

In my opinion the fashion industries are one of the biggest users of big data because thanks to them companies can foresee the tastes of consumers and make a targeted production without waste.

Dalila

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

@dalilasina! It’s a very ambitious project! I find personalized medicine is essential to improving everyone’s life, so we hope to see the results very soon.

This is another example to understand the use of Big Data!

In a connected and digital world, there is unprecedented access to a huge amount of information and data that has transformed the way in which fashion companies do business.

Companies, that don’t use technology to improve processes and generate analyses necessary to manage a  business based on the data, risk to remain back.

In my opinion, foreseeing the trends of each individual person is one of the most ambitious goal of faschion companies, because they can produce for adequate quantities and also to understand competing enterprise want, not only needs to the customers.

The company has the possibility to take short-term decisions and to be more flexible.

Finally, there is another issue to consider and I’m talking about the Consumer Experience.

The fashion industries must approach each individual and identify the individual expectations, so each customer will have a personalized experience.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Sara

Andrea Re
    Participant
    @andrea-re

@sara I read the article that you posted!

It seems the medical world will be profoundly influenced using big data.

As written in the article potentially in the future nobody could be affected by disease because technology will predict and prevent it.

I am thinking about: in a world where the average life expectancy is increasing every year, the use of big data will help to get this number more and more high. And what does it imply? In the future the average age of the population will be ever higher and our society will be constituted for the majority by senior citizens. And then it comes the overpopulation topic: the world population is growing exponentially and there will be a moment in the future when will be impossible to live in that world.

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Great point of view @andrea-re!

The Big Data are used to prevent illness, so potentially in the future the quality of life can be improved.

It will be impossible to cure all the diseases of the world, because for some degenerative diseases, such as MS (Multiple Sclerosis), there currently is no treatment!

Big data help us to understand how to prevent new diseases and lead a healthier lifestyle.

It’s true, that in the future the average age of the population will be ever higher and our society will be constituted for the majority by old people, as you said, but in my opinion we must think that there will be old people with fewer health problems. This means less assistance with reduced costs for the society and a better quality of life.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Sara Biscuola.
    Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Hello everybody!!

Personally, I agree with @sara ‘s point of view.

it is completely impossibile to eradicate some kind of diseases such as autoimmunes ones, at this historic moment.

However, of course in the future it will be possibile to increase our average of life thanks to big steps occurred in the medical field.

From my side, I also think that big data can be used to better store the information collected through specific studies and researches. This might help medicians to find in a quicker way info releated to certain kind of diseases and operate the patient in a more effective way.

But, actually, I am not certain that this will happen in few years in Italy. In our coutry, the will to invest in the medical field is not so strong as it should be.

From your side, what do you think about medicine in Italy? In which way should this field be improved in our country?

Waiting to read your opinions soon.

Dalila

Roberto Rota
    Participant
    @robertorota

Hello guys!!

Sorry for the late reply about Big Data.
    In my opinion Big Data can be used in a deceptively way, for example all the research we do, all the likes on the social network are registered in a big database and used in any field.
    Big data are part of us, this is our future. Lots of big companies put the profile of consumer in front of all. Big data will be use for the satisfaction of the consumer.
    From my point of view, the biggest problem with any powerful tool is how it is used, like a double edged sword. The Big Data Analysis can be used in a positive way, for example by studies in order to optimize the use of resources in many fields, on the other side Big Data can be used to influence the people opinion.
    Big Data for sure could be an extremely dangerous vehicle, for this reason is best to be careful. However, I think it can be possible, through education to make people conscious about the importance of privacy and freedom, about the power inside the opinion. Today is very difficult to have a good privacy, all the people become more social day by day……be careful guys!!!
    Roberto.

Alessandra Leonardi
    Participant
    @alessandraleonardi

Hello Guys!

Nice to meet you!

How are you?

My name is Alessandra and I am an Economy student at Eastern Piedmont University.

First of all, let’s introduce myself! I am a very dynamic and enterprising girl: if I want something, I try to do everything to obtain it. I think that happiness depend only on you and nobody can take it away.

Open my mind with new experiences, like travelling and getting in touch with new people, allow me to face more easily daily problems and help me to find a solution. My passion is the sea and during my summer stage I was so lucky to take part in some activities of the Coast Guard. It was very exciting!

I have not planned my future yet, but I hope to get a master degree in Human Resources or in Marketing. The SVST could be a wonderful opportunity to understand how big companies deal with this matter and come back with new ideas for the italian industries.

Regarding @dalilasina ‘s question I think that in Italy the progress in medical field are limited by the pharmaceutical industry. Sometimes is more rewarding sell drugs than discovering new cure and treatments and, from my point of view, that’s really a problem!

A good idea could be encourage international cooperation in this field, in order to obtain the maximum result in despite of the limited resources.

What do you think about?

I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Alessandra

Stefania Tibiletti
    Participant
    @stefaniatibiletti

Hello guys! Really good debate! I would like to share with you some points about Data:

As you can image nowadays the problem isn’t the gathered of data, you can easily have it and the price is really low, but the real problem is how to obtain value from them. So, some of you got the point that there are different algorithms that enable companies to have what they want. But this is not the end, the value of the data is what one can gain from all the possible ways in which it can be employed.. and guess what.. there are infinite potential uses so INFINITE OPTIONS!! (That is amazing, but also a little bit scaring)

Also you got one of the biggest challenges regarding Big Data, privacy! You are right when you say that there is no control, but on the other hand this is a completely new topic and the Goverments with the antitrust authorities are moving as fast as they can to regulate it and to punish who abuse the use of it. I imagine that you have heard about Google https://www.recode.net/2017/6/27/15878980/europe-fine-google-antitrust-search

Moreover speaking about health, I read on the newspaper “Digitalic” that the oncologist diagnosis made by a Doctor has a possibility of error of 3,5%, a system of AI of 7,5%, but combined together the possibility fall down to 0,5%. And that’s simply amazing, so we can say that the interaction between a machine that can use Big Data to obtain an output and a human can lead to incredible output.

Another good point is the fashion industry, have you hear about Coded Couture? This is in my opinion a good Customer Experience but a weakest point for the privacy https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/google-and-hm-create-personalized-coded-couture-dress-based-on-smartphone-app-data.html

Connected with customer experience have a look at this article : http://www.thenextsiliconvalley.com/2017/09/18/8946-elite-sports-leads-innovation-in-immersive-technology-like-augmented-reality-and-virtual-reality/

Now to move to another topic I have a question for you: Can you tell us why in your opinion the IPod, the WII and the Cirque du Soleil are so different from their competitors?

Lara Di vittorio
    Participant
    @laradivittorio

Hi everybody!

Surely, in 90% of cases, our future life will be based on Big Data. About the article that @dalilasina  proposed, I believe that nowadays most of the world’s population does online shopping from online stores such as Zara and H & M, but I find the Lesara idea is a genius one. I think that basing their entire earnings by following statistics trying to create things that fully satisfy their customers’ tastes is something that can really change the idea of shopping. Although it is an innovative initiative, especially in the economic aspect, many people hesitate to buy clothes from sites exclusively online for various reasons, such as quality issues. Often people do not buy clothing that does not have a physical store because they can not touch the product and the stereotype of online store is often linked to Chinese or generally Asian, where quality is often poor. I believe that those who try to create an exclusively online business in the field of fashion, will surely have to use Big Data not only to understand the buyer’s taste in clothing, but also to advertise better and catch people’s attention on their customise products . This is just my idea, but how about you? Do you think it the same way as me? Let me now.

Sara Biscuola
    Participant
    @sara

Hello guys!

@dalilasina
    I agree with you!

In Italy, the healthcare system is managed by individual regions and this results in fragmentation of the data, because there is a diversity in the data collection and storage technologies at the regional level.
    Today, big data in Italy are a phenomenon with a growing trend but there is no real structure.

Reading various article, the industry more interested is Banking (29%), followed by Manufacturing (22%), Telecommunications and media (14%), Public Administration and health (8%), Other Services (8%) and there is a need to learn new skills and operating models.

According to me, Italy should make the information system more timely and integrated.

However, the process of transformation of traditional Italian enterprise into big data enterprise , it’s still long, not just in the medical fiedl.

Lara Di vittorio
    Participant
    @laradivittorio

Hi again everybody!

@stefaniatibiletti
    in my opinion the IPod, the WII and the Cirque du Soleil are different from their competitors because they try not to compete with the others but they try to create a new market place; for example  the Cirque du Soleil offers a different kind of shows than the classic ones, that means it’s trying to take the business to a new level. Even though this can look like competiting, it’s not, because Cirque du Soleil is not offering something that is already on the market, but is offering something that it’s better and NEW. Same thing for the Ipod and the WII, their companies try to offer innovative products that it may also catch the attention of a new range of customers.

Dalila Sina
    Participant
    @dalilasina

Hi guys!!!!

In my opinion each one of these elements were, in their different areas , a particular innovation because: the ipod introduced a new and more intuitive way for listening music.

The WII was a console that involved from the individual prospective of game to a collective one, in fact the WII was born and promoted as a group game.

Finally cirque du soleil introduced a kind of circus entertaiment without the animals but just with humans attractions.

What do you think about?

Dalila

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 293 total)
  • The topic ‘Novara Silicon Valley 2018’ is closed to new replies.