Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Novara Silicon Valley 2019

244 replies, 25 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 5 years ago
  • Alessandra Leonardi
    Participant
    @alessandra-leonardi

I agree with Giovanni and Stefano about the fact that, at this point, the only solution for Tesla’s CEO is stopping the fight with the SEC and reaching an agreement.

For me the problem is that nowadays people write on social media without thinking about the conseguences of their actions. Only when we are certain about the content of an information these means of communication become very useful, because give us the possibility to reach fastly many people. On the contrary, their use cause negative effects.

In this case, I cannot believe that Musk disclosed such important information without having a secret agenda!

Do you think that Musk probably had a second purpose? Tell me your opinion!

Alessandra

Luca Lostumbo
    Participant
    @lucalost

Hey guys! How are you? 🙂

About the article, i have always respected Elon Musk, don’t forget that he is CEO of Tesla, CEO and founder of SpaceX (an aerospacial company with the aim of creating technologies to reduce the costs of access to space and allow the colonization of Mars) and CEO and cofounder of Paypal, so i have always considered him as a genius. This time, instead, i do not agree with his communication choices: especially if you are the CEO of a big company as Tesla that has lot of shareholders and consequently moves lot of money every day you have to be careful with social medias and what you write there, then i think that this kind of decision that are very important has to be communicated in another way, maybe more formal and firstly with people that really invest in the company, not with all your followers. Musk already paid his choices because the SEC fined him and forced him to leave Tesla’s presidency for three years but he did not take it very well, infact on twitter two days ago he called the SEC (Securities and exchange commission) “Shortseller Enrichment Commission” (shortseller are stock market speculators), after this tweet Tesla’s shares lost around 4%.

In the end, i think that Musk has to be more diplomatic and not act against institutions in place for the proper functioning of the market, on the other hand i’m pretty sure that he will continue on his way and will carry on his umpteenth battle. How will end this time?

Thanks for the attention and waiting for another opinions and ideas!

Have a nice day!

Luca

Stefano Garavaglia
    Participant
    @stefanogaravaglia

Benedetta, of course fighting the SEC is definitely not a good idea, as I said the best way to be taken now is to close this chapter with the lower impact on the firm. I agree with you when you assert that some of his tweets take down the value of the Tesla’s stocks, but other doesn’t. Surely this does not justifies such behaviour as various tweets or smoking “not just tobacco” publicly. My suggestion to not only judge the methods, but to try to look also at the aims wasn’t a search of justifications, I’m sorry if it seemed so.

I agree with Edoardo and Luca, since truely Tesla’s stocks are nowadays losing value, but from the carrying out of the IPO eight years ago the value of a stock has increased from less than 20 to more than 260 USD, this was a reason for my purpose not to only criticize, in its broadest meaning, even if I think that this time he made a mistake, like others, of course.

Irene Caneva
    Participant
    @irenecaneva97

Hi everyone!

I’ve read everything you said about the article and I think too that SEC intervention is totally founded but, as Edoardo said, I can understand Mark’s attitude too. I guess he tried, making a big mistake, to find a solution sharing his “problem” with Twitter’s big world and his shareholder of course. He probably didn’t care about the consequences of his tweet which only caused negative effects to him (legal actions from SEC) and Tesla.

Do you think too that maybe his intention was to find a solution? Or he just posted it for “sending a provocation” to SEC? Maybe both!

Nowadays for holdings, in general, social media marketing could be the best way to promote their products or services (or their activities in general); the relation between an enterprise and her ‘’followers’’ is a chance to develop for who is able to create a way to communicate solid, responsible and creative.

So, in my opinion social media are important and very useful but, especially if we are Elon Musk, we must be very careful about how we use them because they could also be destructive.

I think that social media marketing is a strategy and not an improvisation.

Giorgio
    Participant
    @giorgiogalli

Hallo to everybody,

I’m Giorgio Galli, and I’m a third-year Economics student at University of Eastern Piedmont of Novara. I’m a curious person and I believe that the right of information mainly consists in searching for the good one. My past experience during my scholar year in the soccer team made me understand the importance of team building. Last year I also had the chance to participate actively in a project for the launch of a new product for one the biggest Italian food global player.

Considering that I will have to face the world of work shortly, hearing about “Silicon Valley Study Tour”, I have thought that it would be an amazing experience to live. Today all young people must increasingly measure themselves with global technology, even while they are studying, in order to open their minds to 360 degrees. Silicon Valley is the cradle of global technology that changed the world. It set new standards to the approach to global markets, as well as changing the concept of economy and the way it affects people in their daily life. Therefore I am very interested in visiting personally the place where everything started.

What the topic suggested by the moderator concerns, whom I thank for, I agree with the comments of the participants, but I also ask myself whether we can think out of the box and regard at things from another point of view:

given Elon Musk profound knowledge of the social networks, couldn’t he had intentionally caused the earthquake that followed around himself and his company?

Awaiting for your comments, I wish meanwhile all of us a good week.

Giorgio Galli

Sara Catto
    Participant
    @sarac

Hi Guys, how are you?

I’m very excited about this forum, because it’s an interesting way to talk about cases like this and discuss our opinions. I read the article and I think that Elon Musk has a bizzare ways to express his opinions, specially on social medias. I’m agree with Stefano when he says that “social medias are a perfect communication channel that can help to create and spread a cult of personality”: it is a way, for cases like this, to express ideas and opinions in one way or another.

In my opinion the intervention by the SEC is founded, because if Elon Musk wanted to make public important informations like these, post a tweet is not the best way, because there are a formal ways to disclousure, involving all shareholders.Moreover, I think that Elon Musk has been lucky (probably for his importance/cleverness) to receive the plea deal based on which he must pay a fine and leave the Tesla’s presidence for three years.

What do you think about?

See you soon

Sara

Matteo
    Participant
    @ironmatt

Dear Sara,

I totally agree with you, but i think it’s too dangerous for an extremely clever man like him to accept a deal that implicates the leaving from his own company.
    After all in my opinion he has not too many choices in his pocket because if he fights SEC probably he would fail.

What do you think about it?

Let me know

Matteo

Irene Caneva
    Participant
    @irenecaneva97

Yes he probably would fail but I think that he will keep fighting against SEC, probably because he wants this argument with SEC to be noticed by everyone, I guess he will try to find approval and gets what he wants but I don’t personally think that he will

It would be a big problem for Tesla which I consider one of the best innovation of these years especially because it respects the environment and nowadays this is really important. Musk should promote in a good way his innovative company avoiding this type of problems; I think that if he keeps acting like this he will probably lost credibility causing a big damage to Tesla

Sara Catto
    Participant
    @sarac

Hello Matteo and hello everybody!

It’s dangerous for a man like Elon Musk to accept a deal with these limitations and constraints, but how many alternatives does he have?

Elon Musk did a lot of mistakes in the past and every time he had to apologize: it’s time to change his attitude when he post a tweet, are you agree with me?

Sara

Linda
    Participant
    @farinellolinda

Good morning guys

I agree with Sara when she said “it’s time to change his attitude when he post a tweet”.

Surely he lost the fight with SEC which confirmed the accusations. One must pay for one’s mistake. So I think it’s right this government agency dismissed him from his assignment for three years but especially that a lawyer control all his communication, his tweets too, however without Musk tesla won’t be the same company anymore. It could have been one of the most important innovation company but after that i’m not sure anymore.

We are waiting for who will be the new CEO to see if he will be able to improve the situation and growing up the company.

Linda

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Linda.
    Stefano Garavaglia
    Participant
    @stefanogaravaglia

Good morning to all of you,

First of all thank you Sara for your accord. I agree with those who think that a man must pay for his mistakes, but a question comes to my mind: don’t you retain pretty incommensurate the fine given and the farewell from the role of chairman for three years?

I don’t mean (think) he had other passable choiches, according to Sara’s thought, but perhaps SEC went too far with this decision. In conclusion, I think letting him to keep convering the role of CEO seem like a contradiction.

Stefano

Luca Lostumbo
    Participant
    @lucalost

Good afternoon to everybody,

I have read all your post, i find this forum very interesting and i enjoy partecipate actively. In particular, i liked when Giorgio said if we can think out of the box and see this situation from another point of view, i liked it because as i said in my previous post i have always considered Elon Musk as a genius and a genius usually think out of the box. Furthermore, when we analize a situation we should consider all the variables that go outside the grid because the solution could be there. Nevertheless, in this case i think that Musk didn’t intentionally caused this earthquake, i think so because i can’t see the benefits  that can be drawn from this situation (i will be happy if you Giorgio or someone else that want express his idea about this could list some), surely Musk has knowledges of social networks and he knows what a single post on Facebook/Twitter etc can cause but in my opinion this is a naive mistake for a person capable of being among the richest in the world thanks to his skills. He is a human and everyone can make mistake, he will pay the consequences but nobody will change the idea about a person who knows how to do his job but that in this period, given the difficulties in achieving certain goals, he is acting too much on impulse and not very rationally. I am sure that Musk will return to the headlines for his brilliant intuitions and not for these problems with the institutions.

Now my attention moves to Tesla as a company, because Musk can’t be the president for the next three years (he is still the CEO) so it has to find a new president,  the company also agreed to appoint its advisers on its board of directors and to set up a new control and monitoring committee for Musk communications. So is starting a new corporate governance era for Tesla. My question for all of you guys is:  will the company recover from this turbulence or the future for Tesla is still (too) uncertain? What do you think about that?

Let’s keep exchanging ideas!

Have a good day!

Luca

Valentina
    Participant
    @20019539studenti-uniupo-it

Hello everybody, I’m Valentina.

I’m a student of the third year of business economics at the University of eastern Piedmont in Alessandria.

I consider myself a lover of knowledge and eclectic. I like to learn new topics and deepen all the subjects in the economic field.

Last year I participated in the Erasmus program and I was in Belgium for 6 months. I had the opportunity to live in a foreign context and meet high-level professors who allowed me to expand my views and expectations in the professional world.
    <div>I strongly believe that in the economic field technological innovation is indispensable for planning, management and control in order to be able to embrace both the needs of the entrepreneur and the final customer. This is why I am happy to attend the next conferences with all of you.</div>

Giorgio
    Participant
    @giorgiogalli

Hi Guys,

Maybe I did not explain myself. Looking at Elon Musk’s curriculum, I find it unlikely that he should commit certain ingenuities on twitter. We are talking about the person who invented “Zip2”. Have you ever used the application to extract a zip file?

He was one of the founders of “X.com” (it will be named Paypal the following year). I think everyone knows the company I’m talking about. Elon Musk financed the creation of Tesla, in part with the proceeds from the sale of Paypal to eBay.

For the tweet: I do not think everything was done by “mistake”.

So, I told myself, did anybody ask himself the same question?

I would like to know your point of you.

Looking forward on your comments.

Benedetta
    Participant
    @benedettasavoini

Hi everyone!

I read all of your thoughts, and I’d like to add one more consideration: I don’t think that the main point here is if he wrote those tweets on purpose or naively by accident (in my humble opinion he certainly did know what he was doing, and don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the best ones never stumble, but I mean, he sent a Tesla into orbit around Mars with Space Oddity playing on the stereo… and I said it all), the thing is that there are several other important companies, in the same situation, dealing with the short-sellers problem without their CEOs feeling the necessity to call the SEC “Shortseller Enrichment Commission” on social media. Which is funny, let’s admit that, but not what a worldwide known chief executive should do, don’t you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 245 total)
  • The topic ‘Novara Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.