Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Novara Silicon Valley 2019

244 replies, 25 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 5 years ago
  • Martina cimaglia
    Participant
    @martinacimaglia

Hey everyone,
    i’ve also found very interesting today’s conference, for us students but also for the people that are already in the work field. Benedetta i agree with you about using more technologies as a way of doing things because they can give us the opportunity to simplify our daily life, our job and to stay connected safely.
    A very important thing of today that impressed me is the quote “it is us humans to make a difference, not machines” that made me instantly think to what happened months ago in Arizona, a Uber’s automatic car ran over a person. I agree that as years go by technology will become a must, as much as creating new kinds of work that will also stay unfilled since we won’t have the necessary competences, but in my opinion everything this will reserves us must have the knowledge of what has just been created and of the consequences in case of an unusual situation.
    Being drove around by a car is safer, efficient, it can create less stress for the person, but would you never trust of it? What do you think guys?

Linda
    Participant
    @farinellolinda

Hi Stefano,

Sorry but maybe we didn’t understand each other. I have only explained my opinion about tecnology, in fact I said ‘Maybe some of you have negative point of view about it’ I didn’t refer to you but you had to take my thougt in general. I apologize again.

After that I also think that digital tech encompasses both aspects.

And I agree with you when you said ‘past can also be called reality’, of course , but I mean that we don’t have to compare past with present. For istance when I was just a child I spent lot of time drawing on my homework book, nowdays children spend their childhood drawing on “their” tablet, it isn’t a good thing to see but it’s about today’s change.

If that was what you meant!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Linda.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Linda.
    Sara Catto
    Participant
    @sarac

Good Morning everybody,

about the conference I fully share the thought of Federico, yesterday was not only interesting, but motivating!! The conference was an opportunity for us to growing up, to increase our knowledge and to help us with our future. I want to share some of your opinion: one is that of Matilde when she said that companies must work to increase technology because digital covers an important role in the evolution of the business; the second is Benedetta’s opinion when she said that the companies, if they want to keep up with the present, must change their ways (techniques and approach to clients for example) to increase their work.

The companies gave us importante information about business, about technology, about digital transformation. Now, it’s our turn to discover and develop new ideas. Are you ready?

Sara

Stefano Garavaglia
    Participant
    @stefanogaravaglia

Just a misunderstanding Linda, I’d like to apologize with you too! I found really positive your will to look forward to what’s next, or even more, right. I’d also like to share with you all an experience about marketing based on GPS. Yesterday a friend of mine, simply by walking in front of and staring to watch an earplugs shop the day before, got the banner advertising of that specific good! That’s not based on cookies or research history but on Geolocalization: awesome. This is just to argue about my agreeing with the progressist thesis that’s found in this debate.
    Waiting for the following-up conversation,
    Stefano

Eunice Curreri
    Participant
    @eunicecurreri

Hi everybody!

My name is Eunice, I’m 23 years old and I’m attending my fifth and last year at UPO as a law student.

I’m a very curious person, determined and ambitious. I love traveling and I’m interested in culture, from art to technology. I’m constantly looking for new goals and motivations in my life, also with the belief that every day there’s something new to live, learn and experience.

I recently spent five months in France, thanks to the Erasmus program, and in addition to improve my language skills (in english and french) I had the unique opportunity to live in an international cultural context, in which to be open minded and be able to adapt is a must.

I read about the SVST 2019 and it seemed like a joke to me, i think it’s an incredible possibility! I would really have the chance to visit the “cradle of innovation”, it would be so inspiring for me to see how different ideas and technologies are created every day, just in a single place. I think it also could be a great moment to better understand what to do in our future.

I attended the yesterday’s conference about Digital transformation, and also for me – like most of you – was interesting and inspirational! There were a lot of useful advices in the stories of the speakers, and like Federico I think it’s important to be informed about the power of technology and support its progress, without completely omit the past and the tradition; it’s all precious to give a unique value at the objet of own work.

I also share the opinion of Martina, “it is us humans to make a difference, not machines”, because in my opinion we are thinking and feeling beings, and this is always be a step further. We have to take advantage from the current change, it is convenient for the daily life and especially for the work (as we heard yesterday), but I believe that machines will never replace a real person. This can be both positive and negative, it depends on the field of application.

Finally I fully agree with Stefano and Matilde about the sad side of this era, we are surrounded by technology in every aspect of our lives, but sometimes we forget that keep in touch with the real world is the more important thing.

I hope to read many other interesting opinions of you guys, and recover the conversations I lost previously!

Have a nice weekend,

Eunice Curreri

Giovanni Labate
    Participant
    @giovannilabate

Hy guys,

it’s almost 2 years since Donald Trump became the president of the United States.

What fo you think about his economic politics?

Marianna Liguori
    Participant
    @marieanl

Hi guys,

Thanks to Giovanni for the new topic!

When I heard 2 years ago that Trump would be the president of the U.S.A., I was expecting a catastrophy, but I have to say that overall, the situation is better than I thought it would be. However, I don’t see a drastic change in the US’s economy sice Trump took office.

Gross domestic product continues to increase at a modest but steady rate (around 2.3%), but during Obama’s second term the numbers were basically the same.

The same goes for the pace of hiring and the unemployment rate. Datas are getting better but, again, they were also under Obama.

Anyhow, Trump is planning another tax cut which should boost small businesses.

So, I think that for now, he surprisingly decided to maintain a low profile on his policies, nothing too drastic but still positive.

What are your opinions about it?

Have a good day!

Giovanni Labate
    Participant
    @giovannilabate

Hi Marianna,

I have to say that for me when I knew that Trump would be the next US president, I had the same reaction, I thought it would be a disaster.

Fortunately I was wrong.

I like the way he fought against american companies that abuse of offshoring. Thanks to his politics multinational companies like IBM, General Motors and Ford brought back to US more than one million workplace.

This politic has also some bad sides, like the discord with countries were offshore jobs were placed.

What do you think about it?

Benedetta
    Participant
    @benedettasavoini

Hi everyone!

About Trump’s choices I think they sometimes cause more damage than good if we look at them from a certain perspective: for example, his trade war worried Apple from the beginning, because the company gets a significant amount of its revenue from China. For this very reason, Apple managed to get an exemption from tariffs limited to a list of products particularly popular in China, such as AirPods for example, to name one.
    But what about other companies?

I leave you this article, that also concerns Silicon Valley, which I found really interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/03/business/silicon-valley-trump-government.html

“What does it mean to be a patriotic company when you vehemently disagree with your nation’s leader?”

Stefano Garavaglia
    Participant
    @stefanogaravaglia

Good morning everyone,
    First I have to say is that I was not expecting anything bad, nay I was hoping him to win. His nationalism worked and is working in a country among the most internal tax weighted in the world, threatening offshoring companies with high border taxation. Internal consumption of internal produced goods is seen by consumers as more right and more “American”. I found fantastic, above all, the use that’s done by him of Twitter. With a social network is possible to threat, to explain and to gratify important economic subjects as for example Ford or Toyota, threatened and bad advertised by the President. Furthermore the expected lowering of taxes is supposed to intensify the effects of his self-sufficiency policy, with a following boost of internal production hopefully.

The point is: will the effects of this policy, clearly supporting US while penalizing abroad nations, have a negative returns on United States by those last?

Stefano

Luca Lostumbo
    Participant
    @lucalost

Hey guys! How are you?

Thanks Giovanni for the new topic!

Honestly,  even if social media were describing the situation as dangerous, I never expected a catastrophe with the election of Trump (in my opinion Hillary Clinton was not so better than him).

We can say that his motto “America first” is also reflected in the economic sphere. In fact, Trump has so far remained coherent with his ideas of economic nationalism. Trump’s goal is to actively invest in its economy in order to make it grow but at the expense of foreign competitors. To do this whenever it deems it appropriate Trump critics companies that do offshoring. The use of Twitter in my opinion is the most effective tool of this policy through which the president expresses positive or negative opinions on the choices of  companies operating in USA.

Trump’s ideas aims at the prosperity of the nation, at improving production efficiency, and at increasing individual productivity, moreover, less taxation and less regulation are foreseen for individuals and companies.

Stefano, in my opinion this policy could have a negative returns on United States:  a tax revenue’s reduce will lead to an increase in the deficit, on the international trade front instead this policy of protectionism would disadvantage American exporters, who would reflect the increase in costs of their products (obtaining pieces from abroad would have more favorable prices) on consumers. Do you agree? Let me know.

Luca

Giovanni Labate
    Participant
    @giovannilabate

Hi everyone,

I have to agree with Stefano about his use of Twitter. These days social network are more important than social media (like journals, televisions or radios) so I found that a correct use could be very important for prominent people like him.

I want to remember that Trump is also a businessman and he chose to invest a part of the resources of United States (about 1,5 trillions dollars) in the trade he knows better and that made him rich, infrastructure. This strategy could bring 400 thousand new jobs also for people who have a lower level of instruction.

I think that is a great move, what do you think about it?

Luca
    Participant
    @lucabaldessarini

Hi guys and welcome on board to the new ones!

First of all, I just want to remind you that if one of your friends is still thinking about wether or not to sign-in into the forum, today is the LAST DAY to hop in.
    Secondly, good job on the previous topic to you all! Just a little thing from now on. Try to analyze deeper the article, adding as many details as you can to your post.

So, picking up from where you at, I’d like to give you these 3 related words:

American Technology Council
    Quit
    Climate change

The words aren’t written in any specific order, but they’re part of broader issue. You’ve to find out: Who said these words? What was he referring to?

N.B. The FIRST who is going to find it out, will have the possibility to go first with the discussion and tell us what he thinks about it before anyone else.

Ready, steady, GO!

Have a nice day.
    Luca

Eunice Curreri
    Participant
    @eunicecurreri

Hi guys!

As well as some of you, I was quite worried when I read about Trump’s victory as President, because the United States plays a big role in the World, both economically and politically, but not only (like Luca wrote Hillary Clinton was not much better than him).
    I personally have no particular respect for him, and although he remains coherent with his policy of “America first”, placing the States at the center of his economic and industrial actions, I think that especially in the last year there has been a climate of strong disagreement in the US with regard to its initiatives.
    We are not there and therefore I think it’s difficult to have a clear idea of ​​what happen, but I find very controversial his trade war against China and Europe, and for several months this has given rise to strong oppositions against him.

The States, from my point of view, should decrease their trade deficit towards China (the export of China in the US is around 500 billion dollars, with a surplus compared to the US of about 375 billion), and furthermore this policy of strong protectionism could have negative effects on the United States themselves.

As Giovanni wrote, the investment in infrastructure made by Trump could lead to new jobs, even for the less educated, but the Tax Reform approved by Trump could enrich even more the rich and impoverish those who are worse, due to the fact that the part concerning individuals is temporary, and should expire in 2025 (it’s not allowed that certain tax measures contribute permanently to the increase in public debt after ten years).
    Another important consequence of the vote of the Congress was the extension of oil and gas extraction permits in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a large natural area in Alaska, which has existed since the 1960 and which, together with other natural places, is at high risk (even if before acting the Interior Minister will carry out checks and studies on the environmental impact, which will certainly lead to legal and political clashes).

This makes me connect just to a topic very dear to me, and to the quote of Elon Musk last year about the decision of the USA to quit the Paris Agreement on Climate Change: “I am departing presidential councils. Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world”, in an era in which to act immediately to save the Planet is more urgent than ever. Just his tweet found strong support among other important people of the Silicon Valley, including Tim cook, Sundar Pichai and Jack Dorsey, founder of the same Twitter.

And what do you think? Do you agree? Did you also know about the possible non-compliance of the international provisions of the US tax reform with the rules of the WTO and the double taxation conventions? I’m curious about your opinions.

I leave this article, which I found quite interesting (although it’s an article a few month ago):

https://www.repubblica.it/economia/2018/02/05/news/bce_riforma_fiscale_usa_trump-188078023/

Have a good weekend!

Eunice Curreri

Martina cimaglia
    Participant
    @martinacimaglia

Donald Trump

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 245 total)
  • The topic ‘Novara Silicon Valley 2019’ is closed to new replies.