Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2019 Pavia Silicon Valley 2019

67 replies, 12 voices Last updated by Giovanni Agrone 3 months ago
  • Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Here we are for the 5th year running to select students from Pavia University to attend  the August SVST. The selection will be made with Prof Stefano Denicolai and Roberta Rabellotti, our reference in Pavia University.

The next Tour will be the first for Students , managers and entrepreneurs.

After years of distinct Tours we understood that mixing the age and experience of attendees is a great value for both.

The goal is multiply the SVST 2018 effects that we can synthetise as follow:

1- 37 attendees students in Italian Universities coming from 8 different countries, with 16 female the largest number ever.

2 – Three month  interships  each after the SVST for 3 Business students from Trento University- Stefania Tibiletti-  in Cloud4wi ,  and Piemonte Orientale University, two guys in A3-Cube

3- Mix  students with managers and professionals attending together the Tour, to extend the effect seen in August 2018 among  Generale Francesco Vestito, Head of Cyber Security task of Ministero della Difesa and Captain Giuseppe Cannatà- the minds and arm of Cyber Range in progress in Chiavari- Luca Barigione manager of Postel in Genova, attending the Tour with University students. Great mentorship of the senior attendees to the juniors happened during the Tour.

4- Five Meetings  in Italy after the Tours, early September,  among Silicon Valley company CEO ( Peaxy, Hytrust) and companies like Ansaldo Energia, ABB, Cetena. This in the frame of improving Italy- Silicon Valley relations for business.

5- A book ” Tra Italia e Silicon Valley. I migranti tech dal 2000 al 2018″ written by 60 Italians in Silicon Valley to tell their story. The book will be given before the Tour to the attendees  of SVST 2019, as an unique information base.

Are you a student or a manager entrepreneur interested to join the SVST 2019 Tour?

introduce yourself here!

End of April we’ll make a  ranking list from the Discussion Forum level and your Linkedin page, to determine the eligibility to attend to SVST.

We are happy to launch this discussion Forum with the report written by Pavia University student Lara Princivalle, great attendee of SVST 2015

Finally  what the attendee Fabio Vantaggiato Business Grad of Milano Bicocca University kept from the experience of SVST 2018.

Luca B.
    Keymaster
    @lucabaldessarini

Hi there!

I’m Luca Baldessarini and I attended the SVST 2018.

The first thing I fell like I should tell you about the Silicon Valley Study Tour is that it really is the experience you’re looking for, it’s been the best I had so far in my entire life and I hope it’ll be your best one too.

Just a little bit about myself, I’m a third-year Economics & Management student at Catholic University of Milan. I’m a tech enthusiast and I’m really fascinated by entrepreneurial creativity, innovation and new ideas that can really change the world and the society that belongs to us.

The selections for the 2019 participants as you know, will be based on your activity on this forum so keep it simplebe creative and interact with one another.

I really hope to see you all in the cradle of innovation this summer in order to get to know each other better, but for now let’s get started!
    I’d like to begin with a really HOT TOPIC of the last few weeks: “Elon Musk and his fight with the SEC“.

What do you think about it? Deeply analyze the story as a whole and tell us what are your personal thoughts and opinions about it, but don’t forget to first introduce yourself if you haven’t already.

Have a nice weekend,
    Luca Baldessarini

Lorenzo Daidone
    @lorenzodaidone

Hi everybody!

I’m Lorenzo Daidone, I attended the Silicon Valley Study Tour this summer and I will be the moderator of this forum. The SVST experience changed my life and my career.
    I would like to share with you my crowdfunding story. When I was selected to partecipate in the experience I was really excited but I wasn’t able to pay it…but in the end I went to California!

For many of you the crowdfunding way could be a good opportunity.

How did I do? Find out more at: https://youtu.be/eY5UxCM_Ras

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

Ready to go!!

Paolo Giovanetti
    Participant
    @paologiovanetti

Hello everyone,

my name is Paolo Giovanetti and I am a third-year student of Political Science and International Relations at the University of Pavia. I am from Alba, in Piemonte.

First of all I’d like to thank the university and Paolo Marenco for giving us this amazing and unique opportunity.

I really like what I am studying; in particular I am very interested in the politics and the economy of the United States, a country that has always fascinated me. And Silicon Valley is a pillar of American entrepeneurship and of the American way of looking at the world. And so I am eager to get a first-hand experience of that reality, of which people talk a lot about without knowing too much about it.

It would be an opportunity to do something different from usual, to challenge myself and to get to know the place where a significant part of modern technology was born.

Coming to the article on Elon Musk, I would say that he has always been an unconventional CEO, and so we should not be surprised about his use of Twitter in order to play with the price of Tesla stocks. This controversy brings me to mind the fact that in the US there is now a president who has been acused of tweeting too much and in inappropriate way. In fact, he has been called “Tweeter in chief”. And this is a sign of the world we live in, where diplomatic, political end economic decisions appear to be taken via Twitter, something which would be interesting to reflect upon.

To conclude, here is a recent article by CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/11/tech/elon-musk-deadline-sec/index.html, where Musk’s lawyers affirm that the SEC might be threatening his freedom of speech by forcing him to limit his use of Twitter.

What do you guys think about this?

Have a great day,

Paolo

Paolo Marenco
    Keymaster
    @paolomarenco

welcome here Paolo, good topic. Musk is really a top guy, he passed a lot of troubles in his career and he keep on fighting…we need sucha a guy to change and innovate the World

Lorenzo Lacchini
    Participant
    @lorenzolacchini

Hi everyone,

I’m Lorenzo Lacchini and I’m attending the first year of the Economic Development and International Relations Master’s degree.

I’ve chosen this path because I think that it gives me a balanced knowledge in the fields of economics and politics, both theoretical and practical. I’ve always been fascinated by technology, in particular, by what is related to computing. In fact, I’ve assembled my computer by myself. For these reasons, the opportunity to visit the US  is really exciting, especially if we talk about Silicon Valley.

About our topic, I think that social networks give us the possibility to communicate our thoughts. Certainly, the relevance of a tweet by Elon Musk has an outstanding difference. Social networks have the power of communicating news directly from their source, without the intermediation of media. On one hand, we must consider that the CEO of a big company like Tesla shouldn’t give this kind of information on social platforms since it has huge repercussions on stakeholders and on the natural trend of the market. On the other hand, freedom of speech is one of the constitutional principles and Elon Musk’s ban on Twitter would be a violation of it. Moreover, what would prevent him from using another social network, such as Facebook or Youtube?

Meanwhile, the rest of Musk’s societies continue to achieve successes being always the center of the innovation debate. Yesterday, The Boring Company received its first approval to build express-route tunnels in Las Vegas. (https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/12/18262585/boring-company-las-vegas-convention-center-approved)

Regarding Paolo’s comment, I would like to add that, the regulation of the political propaganda on social media is currently under discussion in sight of the European elections. At the same time, in the US already exist a kind of regulation.

What direction do you think this will take?

Have a nice day.

Lorenzo

Paolo Giovanetti
    Participant
    @paologiovanetti

Hi Lorenzo,

I find Musk’s project to build high speed tunnels in Las Vegas and in other cities to be really interesting. Moving people quickly and efficiently will be one of the great challenges of the future, as cities all around the world are getting more and more congested, especially in the US, where the car culture is still very strong. We need political leaders with clear visions for the future and who are willing to invest a lot in environmentally sustainable projects which will pay off in the long term, rather than looking merely at the short term.

In regards to the debate about regulations on Facebook, I have found this article: https://theconversation.com/why-not-nationalize-facebook-93816, where the author suggests, perhaps provocatively, that we should look at nationalizing Facebook. This is indeed a radical idea, however the author has a point in saying that FB has become a public infrastructure, comparable to roads, water, etc., and that it is very difficult to impose effective regulations on it as long as it remains a for-profit company.

What are your views on this?

Have a good day

Alessia Serventi
    Participant
    @alessiaserventi

Hello there!

My name is Alessia and I’m 21. I live in Brescia and I’m a student away from home here in Pavia. I’m studying CIM (Communication, Innovation, Multimedia) and I’m doing my best.

I have always been fascinated by the evolution of mass media and I think that never before communication and high technology are an inseparable mismatch. Innovation and communication are developing again. What better way to see and get in touch with this incredible progress if not in the Silicon Valley?

Silicon Valley Study Tour is a kind of journey in the future. Visiting the most big companies in the world is a personal growth opportunity (as well as a dream come true).
    Facebook, google, Dropbox and others are part of my everyday life. But what’s behind all of this? How big companies work? Is Silicon Valley such a really ecosystem (and the paradise of innovation and technology)? I think that I could find the answers just by going there.
    Moreover, I think that I could learn a way to think differently and develop some new technological knowledge. I would be honored to talk with managers and businessmen who work there. Silicon Valley Study Tour is a challenge against myself and an opportunity to overcome my limits.

With reference to the first conference, I would say that I was surprised by Lara’s philosophy degree and her choice to go to Silicon Valley. Being a 23-year-old Samsung Researcher is such a fantastic goal. From her experience, I understood how this is journey could really change my life.

In my opinion, there are two main points of the article of Elon Musk: the use of Twitter as a medium and the message of Elon Musk’s tweet.

Coming to the first point, according to Paolo I would say that we shouldn’t be surprised by the use of Twitter as a medium to give valuable communications; but I have to say that the use of Twitter by politicians is now considered normal, especially if we look at populist phenomenon. Instead, it is not the same yet for financial phenomenon. Using social network to give sensitive reports is still pretty risky for the stock market (as we can see from what happened after Musk’s tweet).
    I think that probably we’re going to this direction and maybe, in the near future, giving this kind of information on social networks wouldn’t be a problem anymore.

By reference to the second point and following on from Lorenzo’s thought, I also believe in the freedom of speech, but this could be a problem if Musk’s tweet about taking Tesla private is a lie.
    Despite all, I think that an innovation mastermind like Elon Musk is aware of his published contents and there must be a reason why he wrote something like that on a tweet.

In conclusion, I would say that even the SEC think that “this might be an easy win against Tesla”, I would not be so sure of this: what is a subpoena compared to the greatness of Tesla?
    In addition to this, Elon Musk’s highspeed tunnel project in Las Vegas is the proof that this man is looking to the future and fighting to carry on his ideas (and there is much of a chance he will make it!).

Have a nice day,
    Alessia Serventi

Margherita Tambussi
    Participant
    @margheritatambussi

Hello everyone,

My name is Margherita Tambussi and I am attending the first year of the Economic Development and International Relation Master’s degree. I am 23 years old and I live in Pavia.

I thought I had a more humanistic vision but during my university study I realized the importance of the economy and the development. I am studying the role of the innovation in a country and how it is linked with the development of the economic system. I am fascinated by this relationship and I start watching the world in a different way.

I think that this project is an incredible experience because it gives the opportunity to visit the most important entrepreneurships which are changing the world and our lives. Moreover, with this project, we have the possibility to experience real examples of what we have studied and to talk with Italian managers who work there. During the first conference, I understood how SVST could change our lives and it could give you the strength to overcome our limits.

There is no doubt that Musk is a genius. Nowadays everyone uses social network to communicate. Using Twitter and Facebook, politicians want to reach the mass in a simple and direct way, but I think that some issues should not be discuss on the Net. The “old diplomacy” doesn’t exist anymore. Every word written on the social network has consequences too and this is the case.

The medium used by Musk is only a part of the problem. The other part refers to the message. Musk has been in war with SEC for many years. SEC can’t limit Musk’s freedom of speech but, according to Alessia, we don’t know yet if the twitte is true or false.

In my opinion, SEC could lose against Tesla because there are not enough proofs yet and because “Musk is a warrior” who manages to achieve his goals: the last one is the high – speed tunnel in Las Vegas.

About the nationalization of Facebook, we all know its power and how much time we spend on it. We can face two problem: on one side we have the monopolistic position of social network, while on the other side we have the most important medium which treats our personal data.

Moreover, Facebook is global concern and it’s very difficult to nationalize it just in one country.

The governments would like to regulate not only Facebook but also other companies. About this topic, I found this article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/30/nationalise-google-facebook-amazon-data-monopoly-platform-public-interest .

Do you think it is possible and right to nationalize these big entrepreneurships?

Have a good day!

Margherita

Giovanni Agrone
    Participant
    @giovanniagrone

Hi everyone,

I’m Giovanni Agrone, 22 years old. I’m from Genoa, but I’ve decided to move to Pavia University in order to improve my economic and statistic skills. I’m currently attending Economic Development and International Relations Master’s degree. To see more about my previous experiences check my Linkedin profile.

First, I would like to thank Roberta Rabellotti and Pavia University for giving us the opportunity to know this great project. Secondly, Lorenzo Daidone who explains to us how to do a good crowdfunding. Last but not the least, Paolo Marenco who gives us this amazing opportunity to visit one of the most innovative areas of the word.

I think that SVST is an amazing opportunity to discover concretely the Silicon Valley and the innovation system that has a strong impact on our life, and I’m currently studying at university. Moreover, I always read in my favorite books about innovation and humankinds development (Y.N.Harari, E.Morett and F.Rampini) and I would really like to touch and discover it directly on the field.

After reading all the previous comments and articles I am able to say that I totally agree with Paolo Giovanetti who has found similitude between Musk and President Trump usage of Twitter. I think that both overuse Twitter and in particular they use it in an unconventional way, but if now Twitter is a common medium in politics, it is not yet in economics ground.

As the other participants stress out, <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Musk is a unique CEO</span>, and so it is not surprising his way of using Twitter. Furthermore, I do not think that SEC is trying to trample on his freedom of speech because Musk is writing about controversial and “hot” topic that may have effects on the market. I am strongly in favor of the freedom of speech but while Musk is writing he is not a common person but a big company’s CEO.

Regarding the <span style=”text-decoration: <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>high-speed tunnel project</span>, I admit, I cannot wait to see it; this revolutionary innovation will have for sure strong effects on our life because it will definitely destroy any temporary and geographical border. I find out this website where you can estimate how much time you can save with Hyperloop One.

Answering to Margherita, I am against to <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>nationalize Facebook</span> and other similar social media because as they are supranational it would be very difficult. However, I am afraid of big data and the relative cycle: more data means better machine learning, which means better services and more users, which means more data. I think that data is quickly becoming the 21st-century version of oil – a resource essential to the entire global economy, and the focus of intense struggle to control it. As I read in this article “the massive data collection that has happened especially since the inception of the internet has showed this more than ever before. While it is worrisome if Facebook collects all data it can get, it still can only do so much with it – like trying to sell you stuff through advertisements. Government, in extreme cases, could ruin your entire livelihood if it deems a particular data of you dubious under the set of standards employed by the current leaders.

Last but not the least, “all social media platforms, being private, are used voluntarily. Nobody is forced to use Facebook, Twitter, and Google. If there is a demand, alternatives will always exist in a free market economy. If we are unhappy with the path social media has taken, it is upon us to either quit them or use them in a more appropriate way. Instead of looking to the government to help us”.

What do you think about big data? Are you afraid of?

Nice weekend,

Giovanni

Giovanni Agrone
    Participant
    @giovanniagrone

Dear readers,

I have try to modify, three times, the comment that I have just posted, in order to delete HTML words; but I am very sorry I cannot do it. Here it is without this problem.

———————–

Hi everyone,

I’m Giovanni Agrone, 22 years old. I’m from Genoa, but I’ve decided to move to Pavia University in order to improve my economic and statistic skills. I’m currently attending Economic Development and International Relations Master’s degree. To see more about my previous experiences check my Linkedin profile.

First, I would like to thank Roberta Rabellotti and Pavia University for giving us the opportunity to know this great project. Secondly, Lorenzo Daidone who explains to us how to do a good crowdfunding. Last but not the least, Paolo Marenco who gives us this amazing opportunity to visit one of the most innovative areas of the word.

I think that SVST is an amazing opportunity to discover concretely the Silicon Valley and the innovation system that has a strong impact on our life, and I’m currently studying at university. Moreover, I always read in my favorite books about innovation and humankinds development (Y.N.Harari, E.Morett and F.Rampini) and I would really like to touch and discover it directly on the field.

After reading all the previous comments and articles I am able to say that I totally agree with Paolo Giovanetti who has found similitude between Musk and President Trump usage of Twitter. I think that both overuse Twitter and in particular they use it in an unconventional way, but if now Twitter is a common medium in politics, it is not yet in economics ground.

As the other participants stress out, Musk is a unique CEO, and so it is not surprising his way of using Twitter. Furthermore, I do not think that SEC is trying to trample on his freedom of speech because Musk is writing about controversial and “hot” topic that may have effects on the market. I am strongly in favor of the freedom of speech but while Musk is writing he is not a common person but a big company’s CEO.

Regarding the <span style=”text-decoration: high-speed tunnel project, I admit, I cannot wait to see it; this revolutionary innovation will have for sure strong effects on our life because it will definitely destroy any temporary and geographical border. I find out this website where you can estimate how much time you can save with Hyperloop One.

Answering to Margherita, I am against to nationalize Facebook and other similar social media because as they are supranational it would be very difficult. However, I am afraid of big data and the relative cycle: more data means better machine learning, which means better services and more users, which means more data. I think that data is quickly becoming the 21st-century version of oil – a resource essential to the entire global economy, and the focus of intense struggle to control it. As I read in this article “the massive data collection that has happened especially since the inception of the internet has showed this more than ever before. While it is worrisome if Facebook collects all data it can get, it still can only do so much with it – like trying to sell you stuff through advertisements. Government, in extreme cases, could ruin your entire livelihood if it deems a particular data of you dubious under the set of standards employed by the current leaders.

Last but not the least, “all social media platforms, being private, are used voluntarily. Nobody is forced to use Facebook, Twitter, and Google. If there is a demand, alternatives will always exist in a free market economy. If we are unhappy with the path social media has taken, it is upon us to either quit them or use them in a more appropriate way. Instead of looking to the government to help us”.

What do you think about big data? Are you afraid of?

Nice weekend,

Giovanni

Alessia Serventi
    Participant
    @alessiaserventi

To answer Margherita’s question about nationalizing the big entrepreneurships, I would like to start from an interesting sentence from her article:

Data is quickly becoming the 21stcentury version of oila resource essential to the entire global economy”.

This statement leads us to understand the importance of personal data and the power of big companies. Facebook is a monopoly: there are more than two billion users who bring profit to it, who produce value to these corporations just by “likes” and by posting videos or photos.
    The amount of user-generated information is huge and unthinkable to me.

Since Facebook is the main communication infrastructure in the world, I think that we have to consider whether it should be placed under public ownership. Continuing to treat Facebook just as another company could cause some authority issues.
    I would like to share with you this article, which contains five reasons why Facebook should be placed under public ownership:

https://weownit.org.uk/blog/5-reasons-why-facebook-should-be-global-cooperative-public-ownership

With reference to Giovanni’s thought, I think that all social media platforms would be used voluntarily also under public ownership. We wouldn’t be forced to use Facebook, Twitter and Google against our will.

However, I fully agree with the unhappy path that social media has taken. I’m not afraid about big data, but I think that it’s absolutely necessary to promote a conscious usage of social network. We often share personal data without realizing that they are effectively personal data. Just think about posting driving license photos on Facebook or sharing an Instagram story of desk in the office where there could be confidential documents.
    We should pay more attention to the contents we share.

What do you think about it?

Have a nice weekend!

Paolo Giovanetti
    Participant
    @paologiovanetti

Hi guys,

wow a lot of interesting suggestions so far.

First of all, I’d like to share with you something I’ve found out about Facebook being used in a dangerous way. The other day, the attacker who killed 49 people in a mosque in New Zealand was able to livestream on FB his actions. A lot of people watched the live video and congratulated the attacker. Unfortunately, this is not the first time that such social media, as well as You Tube and others, has been used to spread violent contents and by terrorist organizations to lure in more recruits. Here is an article on the subject: https://www.recode.net/2019/3/15/18267048/new-zealand-attack-facebook-streaming, where Mark Zuckerberg is quoted saying: “We don’t check what people say before they say it, and frankly, I don’t think society should want us to. Freedom means you don’t have to ask for permission first, and by default, you can say what you want.” In this case he was referring to the allegations that FB had been heavily used by Russia to interfere in the 2016 US election by spreading fake news. His responses have always been, in my view, very disappointing. Of course he is right to defend freedom, however such freedom does not mean that users have a “license” to post any kind of content, especially when they are abusive and endanger people’s lives. There are certain boundaries which should not be crossed. It is not enough to “prevent the abusive content from becoming viral”. Such content shouldn’t have been posted in the first place.

I should also mention the issue of Big Data, which has been raised by Giovanni. As it became clear following the Cambridge Analytica scandal, information from millions and millions of profiles has been used for political purposes in order to create targeted ads. Similarly, businesses have used FB to increase their profits and, again, to conceive custom-made advertisements.

In short, Facebook was invented to connect people and to eliminate barriers. Now its users are being told who they should vote for, what they should buy and who they should be friends with and dangerous content is shared too easily. Not to mention the incredible quantity of misinformation and gratuitous insults.

If it is impossible to impose better regulations or to even put it under public control, our best choices are to use it in a more careful way or to stop using it altogether.

What is your point of view?

Enjoy your weekend

Valerio Demontis
    Participant
    @valeriodemontis

Dear readers,

I am glad to take part in this lively forum and, for this, I would like to thank the organization and the participants! I consider this project a great opportunity to get to know creative people with whom I can exchange constructive opinions.

I would like to introduce briefly myself. I am Valerio Demontis and I am attending the first year of the master’s degree in “Economic Development and International Relations” at the University of Pavia. I am 24, I came from Sassari, the city where last summer I graduated in International Relations. I’ve always been interested in innovation of goods and services because I think that it contributes to up the level of welfare of society. Since I wanted to deepen these issues, last year I enrolled for the selection of the Contamination Lab promoted by the University of Sassari. Here I found the team with whom I managed to win the competition, with a project that a year ago was called “Insect”, with the aim to substitute chemical pesticides with 100% biological antagonist insects that kill those who ruin the plantations. We are still working to implement the project. Since I am here in Pavia I took part in “Activators Pavia” meetings, a group that promotes innovation and startup culture in the territory. There I found a lot of active people, or simply interested, in innovation issues.

When I first heard of the Silicon Valley Study Tour, I was immediately captured. I think it’s really a great opportunity to “capture” information from the largest and most innovative area on the planet. It is the place where everything happens. In Silicon Valley, everything follows a different way of thinking and I believe that this way of life can “infect” me. It would be an honor to know some of the most brilliant minds in circulation.

Regarding the article named “Elon Musk and his fight with the SEC”, I believe that he confirmed his genius on that occasion. He knows well how to attract the media and the popularity with the “storytelling”. It is the instrument on which he built his success, and his ability to find alternative methods and forms to talk about his actions is extraordinary. On this way, he manages to focus the attention of the media on his figure and manages to dictate the themes of the debate. Regarding the clash with the SEC, even if now both the numbers on the stock exchange, and the direction that the judicial matter is taking do not support Musk, I think it’s too early to judge his work.

As for the case of the nationalization of Facebook and big data, I think that the States still have important information from Facebook, so I think it is right to regulate this situation. One could think of a public take-over of platforms, including data centers. It could also help improve the cause of fake news. What do you think?

I would like to talk about the video posted by Lorenzo Daidone, regarding his crowdfunding campaign. It reminds me the story of Theodor Seuss Geisel better known with the pseudonymous Dr. Seuss. His first book was rejected by as many as 27 different publishers before becoming one of the most important and prolific authors of children’s books. I want to congratulate Lorenzo because he was a fine example of resilience.

Have nice weekend guys!

Valerio Demontis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.