Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 6 years, 10 months ago
  • Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Yes @fabioceresa I was thinking about that, we all know how much potential the supressed people from creating showed us, for instance think about the women, they were abolished from exposing their ideas and when they conquered their indipendence they contributed a lot to our world some examples are Lita Revi Montalcini, Marie Curie, Ada Lovelace ecc…

At the same way the people that don’t have visibility nowadays with little innovations made for help their education could help all of us. A clear example of this is Kevin who made electronic devices from garbage and got big visibility worldwide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/kelvin-doe-self-taught-en_n_2159735.html

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Just to give the idea this is

Leadsbridge the company of Gabriele – Gabbo….no address, no HQ, no office,  no info about nationality….but works from Italy…and maybe soon ….in Facebook.

The Future started!

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@paolomarenco Thank you for the link. I think this is the proof that with hard work and a proper setup, a very interesting project can grow and prosper.

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

Amazing. Simple idea that centered the needs of the Lead ads customers. I’m talking to Luca the ex tech desk guy of LeadsBridge to understand a little bit more this world.

Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

Thank you @nemanja for the video you posted, it is a very simple and immediate way to learn what is happening in our brain everytime a notification makes the phone ring. You check the phone to complete the task linked to that notification and, just because it’s there, you start browsing Facebook, Instagram… and an infinite list of things that you don’t really need in that moment, we all know this story. This is a great problem, especially when there are long lessons at uni or during exam sessions, it’s very easy to fall in this “notification loop” and procrastinate for hours. I started to use more the “silence all notifications” option for the smartphone, and I can say that in many occasions this helped me to stay focused on what I was doing, but in many occasions i’m myself victim of this “notification loop”. What scares me is: if this is so difficult for us, that we should be a little bit more responsible of younger tech users, to keep focused on things, how can younger people, that grew up with modern technology since they were babies, be aware of this problem? I think this should be a topic of extreme interest in primary or middle schools, where kids are developing their brains the most.

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

@lorenzobersano that’s exactly what I am talking about 🙂 But should we really be afraid? I’m not scared because as you said “…an infinite list of things that you don’t really need in that moment, we all know this story”, this can only mean that there are people who are thinking how to solve the problem and for sure someone will find a solution, for example there are some apps like ClearLock http://lifehacker.com/clearlock-blocks-your-distracting-apps-for-a-while-1727571528 which block the apps that are distracting the user by setting a time limit for their use.

Federico Landorno
    Participant
    @federicolandorno

@nemanja Interesting videos, I agree with @lorenzobersano and I also silence the notifications of my smartphone during the lessons and concentration times. Regarding the school aspect, students are increasingly bored and attracted by external stimulations that distract such as notifications but I’m sure that if the lesson is interesting, they will pay attention. For example, during conferences USC, I’m sure all of us have paid attention… Of course, that were not lessons but the concentration was required.
    I recommend reading this web page that explains how to keep the attention.

Another app to keep the concentration is Forest – Stay focused which is very similar to ClearLock, maybe a little more fanciful. I tried it for a day, but it’s like muting the phone.

Mohamed Lemzouri
    Participant
    @mohamedlemzouri

About your topic, Nemanja Majstorovic , recently i have discovered the will from Y combinator to make available some courses for people willing to create a startup. For those who don’t know, Y-combinator is the most influencial incubator in the world, and major startups, like  Dropbox, Airbnb and Reddit , have been financied by them (yesterday they’ve talked briefly about it).The courses are open to anyone who wants or have the willing to create a startup. From the article is easy to understand that their goal is to reduce the possible problems from it’s creation. Thanks to major experts of the sector, like Jan Koum ( CEO and co-founder of WhatsApp), the participants will be able to learn from real guru of the sector. Finally, the students will be able to explain their ideas and receive great feedbacks. What do you think about it?

http://startupitalia.eu/69893-20170307-y-combinator-mooc-corsi-gratis-startup
    It would be really interesting to have an opportunity like this in Italy. The most simial initiative in Italy is given by the different incubators (i3p and PoliHub), however, their advisory service, alotugh its being finaniced by the state, its still upon payment.

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Thanks for the link @federicolandorno, I’m really into this stuff, we’re talking about attention, but what about anxiety? Plenty of people that I know, including my self, told me that they have this problem while under pressure, so distraction could be a way to forget that feeling. Is it a good solution? For what can I say from my experiences it isn’t and I’ve found a simple way to overcome it and it takes only  1 minute!! It’s a breathing technique that follows this pattern : inhale 4 seconds, hold the breathe for 3 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds and do the cycle 4 times. I know that I’m going out off the topic sorry for that but as students we share some similar difficulties and in my opinion it’s always a good thing to support each other 🙂

Thank you <span class=”bbp-user-nicename”><span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>mohamedlemzouri later I will check those pages!!</span>

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@nemanja I just finished watching the video you posted and yes, I agree with it and I am well aware that those distractions have become much more dangerous because of internet. I myself am a very nervous person when I recieve a mail or a text. I have to answare as quickly as I can or else I’m gonna have this little thing bugging me all day. It has it’s pro (I’m always replaying quickly to people, yay) but it can be stressful. That’s why I understand very well the problems that are being produced since the coming of internet. What you suggested before, and what I also would recommend, is teaching and warning the future generation about this legacy we’re leaving them. Falling in the web (yeah, sorry for the pun) of chronical distraction is very dangerous, and very likely to happen. Quoting Father John Culkin, “We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us”.

That said, I still fell positive about the future awaiting us.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@nemanja I also have a breathing technique while I am under pressure and it’s similar as yours!…And I agree with you, there are a lot of people that have anxiety and/or stress problems under pressure. But I think that technology can help us even in this case, for example with gadgets like Fidget Cube (from kickstarter), or with some smartphone apps.

https://www.gqitalia.it/gadget/2016/12/27/fidget-cube-il-rimedio-anti-stress-che-migliora-la-concentrazione/

Federico Landorno
    Participant
    @federicolandorno

@nemanja Thank you for sharing a way to overcome anxiety, I am a calm and quiet person who doesn’t have anxiety problems but in the future I will apply this advice.

@mohamedlemzouri
    What an amazing opportunity but I didn’t understand very well how they will be taught these online lessons. I mean, these are lessons where you can interact with the teacher or are unidirectional? In both cases there will be possibility for latecomers? I hope that the site will become a starting point for each startupper from here on out. Will you participate in the online course?

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Wow @mohamedlemzouri that’s mindblowing!!

@fabioceresa
    it’s good to see that are plenty ways to fight a problem so we can try the method that better fits for us.

Mauro
    Participant
    @mauroscarrone

Hi everybody, I apologize in advanced for my English. I’m sorry to participate just now to generated discussions that I’ve just read, to be honest I didn’t think they could send me so much interest because, unfortunately, my character doesn’t give me confidence in something until I throw myself to know it. For that I thank the teachers and all the people that they intervened in the two events for giving me the kick in the behind I needed.

About the big-date article and the OCEAN model I find it very fascinating to see how certain individuals see the potential in something (in this case the big-data) and turning it to their advantage in the sector in which they operate. I personally admire people with these skills, however, this doesn’t mean that I share the same ideas. In fact see the use of a powerful resource, such as the big-date, to manipulate the political orientation is incorrect. As was mentioned earlier, you can use the big-data for charitable purpose and in my opinion there is good in people, however, I also believe that in people lack of will to do good. What I mean is that this “will” is obscured by the money which very much affects the personality. Kosinski had understood that with this potential was possible to get money and power, but it was too late, and in all events, there must have been certainly people who have been considered the gain most important than the purpose of the big-date.
    Personally, knowing the man and his past, I am not surprised with this choice, but san an enthusiast’s technology, I changed my mind about the great potential of big-data.

I would also like to share my opinion about the industry 4.0.
    It has rightly been considered the issue of jobs, but I personally am on the side of those who said that it will create new workspaces or that the society will be rebuilt to adapt to change.
    Given our area of study we can consider this new industry as a software application and consider the various steps as beta versions where there will be innovation, but there will also be several bugs, such as unemployment, and, always with an eye of developer, after all the testing versions will eventually come to a stable version so desired. This is my vision, of course, be considered in general terms.

I’m sorry for having concentrated all these days of conversation in a single post, but it’s thanks to your comments if it’s gone out of me the desire of the debate.

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

You’re welcome @mauroscarrone, I’m glad that you’ve joined.

Guys I’ve noticed that it’s not so easy for all of us to follow actively this forum so I had an idea:

Would you like to have a lunch together one of this days at uni so that we could confront directly? What do you think about it?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.