Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 6 years, 11 months ago
  • Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

Great idea @nemanja, can you add me to the whatsapp group pls? My number is 3496118803

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey UNITO- PoliTO people…good debate!.

Here is the format for yr cv (1 page is a must!) .

Send it to me within March 31. First week of April you will have the eligibility to the SVST 2017…and you selected could start to organize the trip

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Thanks @paolomarenco 😀 I try my best to improve my skills in all the fields!! I am born in Croatia and my parents are Serbians, I consider my self Serbian-Croatian.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

send it to me marencopaolo@gmail.com

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

we had a great Bosnian Alumno SVST 2007 from Poli TO….super guy now manager in Sophia Antipolis, Amadeus!

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Amazing!!

Federico Landorno
    Participant
    @federicolandorno

Guys, I saw a video that I want to share with you.

The first thing I thought was “definitely this system isn’t safe for the beetle”, however they explain how the walls aren’t dangerous and the electrical system isn’t harmful but when the bugs will come out there won’t be protected.
    I think they cannot replace drones because there are consistent differences between them. The applications in the field are limitless. They could be used to rescue people after a natural disaster or to spy on potential terrorists.
    This video reminds me an episode of Black Mirror (Bee-Have, my favorite one), what would happen if it fell into the wrong hands?
    I’m positive about it, we progress with more and more amazing innovations, there is no limit to human imagination.

Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

Wow @federicolandorno, this is amazing.

The first thing I thought was “those beetles are huge, I would be personally a bit frightened to control such a beast” ahaha

Jokes apart, this is really interesting and has a load of possible applications. For example, I knew that some beetles could carry weights that are far more greater than their masses so, who knows, maybe someday we will see some kind of “Amazon Beetle”, a delivery service where these huge bugs will deliver our orders directly at our home.

The other thing that I hope is that this incredible research will maintain its peaceful purpose: I think that war drones are already pretty scary, I would like to never see war beetles or, if the researchers do more, even bigger sized animals.

Gabriel Gatu
    Participant
    @gabrielgatu

Hi guys! I have good news: like every year, stackoverflow released their annual survey, collecting data from developers around the world. This allows us to better understand which are the trending tech, how the market is moving and many more things.

Particulary, I find very interesting the “salary” (localized by geography) and the “remote work” parts: the first one gives us a good understanding of the differences and the currently existing gap between us and europe; the second one shows us how the market is changing, with the startups leading this mentality shift.

One thing that I keep noticing is that in the US developers seems to be more appreciated, and I infer this not only from the bigger salary, but also from the benefits the startups keep offering to attract them (watch section “Job priorities > Importance of Compensation/Benefits by Geography”). It would be nice to have the same mentality here, but unfortunately, I think we are far from it.

Link to the report: http://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/#looking-for-a-job

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@federicolandorno That’s an interesting video. I already knew about this, since I got interested after watching that episode from Black Mirror (my personal favourite too). Regarding war insects, @lorenzobersano I’m not so sure it will be taken into too much consideration, since insects can be easily killed with chemical weapons. I think more plausible uses could be spying and sabotage, since a little insect could easily enter enemy territory and implant a virus of some sort (yeah, always the positive kinda guy here). Still, I hope the use of this kind of technology will be left for peaceful purposes.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@gabrielgatu Thanks for the news, I’ll check that later. Since we are on the “notice section”, here in Turin there’s going to be the Droidcon Italy Hackathon, and for the students of the Computer Science Department the tickets are free.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@federico Thank you for sharing that video. I cannot wait to see how much this kind of technology will progress. I hope we’ll have some more practical benefits from it in the future (as you said, some kind of delivery services or something like that),but I also agree with @leonardo, I think this kind of technology will be used mainly for espionage and sabotage. Still, I hope we will never see some kind of giant roaches killing us all one day 😛

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

supercool Gabriel, I shared it on Italia StartupScene Group.

Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

Yeah @leonardo I thought of “war beetles” in that way too, used in espionage and that sort of things, but still, I hope that they will be only (or at least mostly) used in pacific ways, for example in rescue missions during natural disasters, they could really make a huge difference.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

The firs thing I thought seeing the video was about how much can we improve this technology?

Think about using it to help people with spine damage? if they were able to control muscles that way, maybe improving the technology (obviously there’s a big difference between their 8 muscles and ours :D) to help people start walking again?

Anyway I also think the uses they’ll have for this technology will be mostly industrial espionage, but the proposal these scientists are making (rescue, research etc) are great!

Thanks for the video… Didn’t knew about it 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.