Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by  Marta Pancaldi 2 years, 4 months ago
  • Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

So we just have to change the way of using social media? Should we be more cautious from now on about what we write on the internet? Or are we too late? Personally I’m not so worried about being filed, but I’m conscious that there are many people that care a lot about their privacy.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@carlos It depends. For example, if you’re searching for a job in a company wich has acces to big data, and on the web you wrote an article against something about that company, it could affect you and the job you want.

It’s just a stupid and far fetched example, but it’s not impossible.

Of course, being filed can also mean that, if you are an outstanding citizen (or at least that’s what big data says), the police will know you’re not a criminal.

Those are simple minded examples, I know that, but it’s to show what being filed for what we are on the web can matter today.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

This is the biggest problem with big data… Actually not big data itself, but people using Internet and social media… Many of them don’t have any idea about how internet works or how everything they put online is almost lost (maybe just even with a print screen and a photo you deleted is actually all around internet). As we saw before, here in Europe we are a bit more protected, but even so, not that much… We have seen cases of people commiting suicide because of videos or images leaked on internet, often not even put there by them (personal videos made by boyfriend’s or girlfriends that then put them online and stuff like that). That’s all helpful for big data, but not for people’s health… That’s not that much awareness about the use of internet and social media yet…

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@leonardo, actually many companies already use Facebook and other social media to analyse future candidates that are applying for jobs. I think this way of selection is good because knowing that my profile can be analyzed by the company I’m applying to, should make me more responsible on the way I behave on social media. I think if you write against a company, it can work on two waus: 1, you are aware of what you are writing, and proposing change, 2, you are just complaining with no reason. The first one could help you, because you are proposing a change based on a problem you think they have, the second one shows lack of responsibility. The company has the right to judge it before giving you a job… Obviously they should also know that maybe in the meantime you have changed… As usual, there are really many variables on these equations…

About being controlled all the time is one of the problems we were talking about before… I also don’t have any problems with people analyzing my data, but I think the majority would have…

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@carlos Yes, that is a correct interpretation of my examples. And I know some companies use this method, that’s why the example came to mind. I agree with everything you said, and I’m one of those people who would like to keep some form of privacy, even though I already know it’s mostly impossible.

Do you think this knowledge (being “watched” all the time on the web) would scare most people? I think it could cause mass hysteria. I’m not saying people should remain ignorant to such a fact, but divulgation of such a thing should be treated with as much care as Big Data.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

I think that the challenge for our society is to try to fill the gap between those people who have an advanced knowledge of the web and its mechanics and those who have lack of skills and can’t use this “world” properly. If everyone is conscious about what they use, they won’t be afraid about that and so, maybe, the use of tools like Big Data could become an Active and accepted part of our life, with better results

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@leonardo i think it already scares people. Most of them, think they have the right to have privacy, but actually each one of them has a different Odie of what privacy is. I think everyone would feel safe if they know everyone else is under constant control, but not if they are under watch themselves… It’s true big data can help prevent violence, terrorism and any other kind of outlaw behavior… But we must remember that big data helps creating a profile of how someone could behave in certain situations, but it’s not a 100% sure science… Human factor presenting himself here again 😂

Anyway I agree with you… There would be panic, strikes and mass hysteria… As it always happens when people face something that is about their “privacy”…

@fabio I agree with you… Maybe if people learn about the advantages of big data and specially about how to use social media properly, that would probably be the moment where the doors will be open for this kind of new technology (used properly, if possible)…

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

Five minutes on someone’s Facebook Timeline has the potential to tell you :

1. How they act in the public context of Facebook.
    2. All of their interests: music, movies, books and more can all be found through their “liked” pages.
    3. Who their friends are.
    4. Who their family is.
    5. Where they went to school.
    6. Where they work.

And the list goes on. In the past all of these things were found out over time as you “got to know” someone. Now you can learn just about anything about anyone by looking at their Facebook post etc..

While everything I mentioned above is true, I think it’s important to take all of this information with a grain of salt. At this point the other person could have been on the social web for several years and what they like/post will never fully capture their full essence. Don’t be quick to judge people in any context.

And also, what if the person concerned is just joking or having fun, because you can’t deny that internet is also used for that.

I’m linking a nice article i found about this here :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/01/03/facebook-isnt-a-good-way-to-judge-potential-employees-say-researchers/

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@riccardo Of course you are right about judging people only by his Facebook profile. But the point is not using simply the informations you can gain from it. The use of big data can reveal (as was explained in the first article) an individual’s personality with great accuracy, by checking things that people usually find irrelevant.

For instance, if someone that creates a fake profile with fake informations, based on what he does on the web (analysing big data) his real personality may be revealed eventually.

What I mean is, no one should be judged by the first informations you can acquire, but the point of big data analysis is to get important informations about you in ways you usually don’t think can reveal much about yourself.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@Riccardo, all true. But we were not saying if it was right or not… In my case for example, I created my Facebook account years ago, used it a lot untill WhatsApp came out, and now I keep it just because sometimes I use messenger… So all the data there is not up to what I am doing or what I think now… Just to make an example… But we can’t deny that even so, if I apply for a job, the company can use the data on Facebook to try to have an idea of who I am… I also don’t think it’s a good solution because each one of us make a different use of social media…

Big data instead is probably more precise because doesn’t rely only on one social media but on all online activity… Again, not saying it’s good or bad…

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

Mmm.. No i can’t 100% agree with you(and I think this is fantastic so we can keep arguing to show our point)

I found this that perfectly says what i think, for me it’s to early and we still need to seek for perfection.

Beware the Big Errors of ‘Big Data’

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@leonardo I agree with you, I think that even fake profiles (through big data) could reveal some aspects of the owner’s personality. Of course these informations won’t be accurate but maybe those accounts will come up as fake …But this fact doesn’t matter, because these are still useful informations.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@Riccardo that’s why I keep underlining the fact that human factor is what really matters… Gather big data means a huge amount of information, real or fake. That obviously can influence the analysis, and that’s probably why they say they can come up 90+ precisely with someone’s profile… That doesn’t mean that that person is what they found about, and doesn’t mean that he or she will behave like they expect… let’s do a pros and cons? Like: “big data is good because” and “big data is bad because”?

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

@carlos i think we were saying two different things we both agree about😀. I was trying to say that i can fake my datas and you won’t be able to relate them to me. You were just talking about Big Data as a whole, no matter if real or fake. These two things have different type of usage of course. The power of datas that i can link to a specific person is much higher.

Anyway after this misunderstanding I’m gonna try to think about some pros and cons!

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

I found an article about what we were previously discussing (data analysis and school system). I find it pretty interesting and it can give a general idea of what can be achieved if we use Big Data in a good way. If you’d like to read and share your opinions that would be great, even though I know we kind of discussed this already.

http://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2016/01/schools-tap-big-data-understand-trends

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.