Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 3 years, 4 months ago
  • Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Hey guys…very good first week debate! I give you a strong plus on big data,  I seem not touched yet. industrial purposes.

What is growing now and it will see you involved in yr near future is called Industry 4.0, the 4th industrial revolution based on Industrial internet of things (IIOT) and big data.

Two are the top pros of this revolution for Industry:

1 Products: reduce drastically product defects…going to top quality.

Process : Making plant maintanance predictable  …with AI technics. No more unprovided plant stops with great related costs.

In this framework Big Data and AI make a great melting pot . Here the support of Italian Government to Industries that want to approach the goal.

I confirm you I’ll be present next monday 20 to talk of the exp of our Alumni Andrea Scianò (Sysdig) and Stefano Pistillo ( Clickmail ).

Happy to see you all in the first 2 rows to meet you in face!

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@paolo This is really good news. Finally Italy will evolve itself. I hope this project will be successful. If so, it could seriously take our country to a new level of development, and also stop the brain drain that for years Italy soffered. Reading the article you linked, I noticed two main aspects that I think are of primary importance: investments on research and schooling; strengthen our network infrastructure. In the article it said that the latter is secondary, but I think Italy should already have this kind of infrastructure, since internet is right now one of the most important resources for human society.

Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

Thank you @paolo for the article you linked, I found it very interesting because I didn’t know about this massive project Italy’s government is about to start.

I think that it would be interesting to read something more about what the French government did to start the same project because, for what I read, in Italy there would be a great public partecipation like in France, where there is a > 10 mld public participation, unlike USA and Germany, where great companies and privates have a greater role in this 4th industrial revolution.

I have another question: is IoT safe enough to make it scalable to greater realities, like great industries? Because, for what I read here http://www.zdnet.com/article/iot-devices-can-be-hacked-in-minuteswarn-researchers/ it isn’t, but maybe things have changed a lot since october 2016, when the article was written.

Paolo Marenco
    Participant
    @paolomarenco

Lorenzo, the IOT cyber security is a tough topic as we know, but many companies around the world and in Italy are working on it …Darktrace, Aizoon- Aramis (in Torino..where I’m director.) ..only 2 players..

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

Thank you @paolomarenco, a new and more fascinating topic.

I will link two more articles before joining the debate

First one is from “Il sole 24 ore” , in italian, and it focuses more on the economic aspect and the future of Italy:

https://www.google.it/amp/amp.ilsole24ore.com/pagina/AD0VYAZC

The second one is a fantastic article that i found a while ago that focuses on the pros and the cons of the industry 4.0:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2016/jan/24/4th-industrial-revolution-brings-promise-and-peril-for-humanity-technology-davos

Federico Landorno
    Participant
    @federicolandorno

Thanks @paolomarenco I never heard about that, perhaps Italy will rise up, modernizing the industrial sector. I am sure that this program will be useful for encouraging small and medium enterprises. About the IOT, I was attending recently a conference and no one spoke of interaction between Big Data and IOT. I suppose that it is necessary to emphasize and sensitize these new technologies to introduce this interaction ad its benefits.

@foreversin I read the two articles that you shared, they are both interesting.The first has made me realize, by the numbers, how much we have regressed compared the other states and that we can grow thanks to industry 4.0.

Concerning the second, I dwelt on the example below:

Just to take one example, smart machines will soon be able to replace all sorts of workers, from accountants to delivery drivers and from estate agents to people handling routine motor insurance claims. On one estimate, 47% of US jobs are at risk from automation.

It highlights the downside of this innovation, but I think, over time, will create new areas of work and therefore jobs. Aren’t you scared by the possible unemployment that will cause this new era?

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

@federicolandorno No, i’m not scared because i think the world needs to move towards the changes brought by the technologies.

Of course a lot of jobs will lose human labor due to automation,this is where governments have to step in and propose laws such as basic income. But i also think it’s still early 🙂

I thought about something that could help the 4.0 industry and vice versa. Three-four years ago the drone industry had a boom and now seems to have calmed down a bit(at least in Italy).

I have a drone license and i’m registered on the ENAC’s site but i personally just use it to make some videos and photos and sometime some 3D mapping.

Do you think drones will have an importan role in the future and in this new 4.0 industry era?

leaving again an article : http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160829/internet-of-things/drones-use-case-tag31-tag99

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@federicolandorno I think that mass unemployment is a certainty, but as you say, I think there will develop new areas of work. After all, radical changes occurred also during the previous industrial revolution. So I hope the new society that will raise from this revolution will be a better one.

@foreversin  The articles were very fascinating, and I hope Italy will get back on track with the I4.0. Regarding the drones, I think this is an interesting field of developement, but I’m not so sure about delivery. There are a couple problems with this, since drones should use a camera to navigate, and flying over a private property with a functioning camera that may thake pictures could be seen as illegal. I read about some people criticizing this. Maybe you’d like to read this

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/how-drones-raised-privacy-concerns-across-cyberspace/

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

@leonardo mmmm yes and no. Yes because  there are still problems with the privacy factor,it has yet to be regolated in italy, but we already have a list of rules that says where you can fly or where you can not.

I don’t know if im correctly understanding what you said. You aren’t sure about delivery becuase of the privacy issues? You don’t always need a camera to fly a drone, there are a lot of softwares that let you set one/some waypoints and the drone can fly there just by using GPS signal.

Anyway,i think that drones would be/are really helpful in a sector such as agricolture that needs innovation.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>foreversin Yes, I agree about their possible positive uses.

What I was trying to say is that, unless there are strict laws about drones flying over public places, I think some people might complain. I’ll explain: if there isn’t a law (I’m not sure there is, but you know more than me for sure) about drones that fly over cities at low altitude that need to not be equipped with cameras, an owner of a villa might complain that a drone might spy him.

That’s a stupid example, but there could be a company or an organization that actually spies on people using drones, if there is no strict law forbidding it.

I know I make it look a little too pessimistic, but it’s something that I think has to be taken in consideration.

Filippo Galli
    Participant
    @filippogalli

Hi everyone,

I am Filippo Galli, and thank you all for the contributions you are making on the topic. As all of you, I am interested in the field of Big Data, IoT, and for what concerns myself, in robotics.

@leonardo there are indeed lots of laws regarding frones flying above a certain height and above some levels of mass. I think Fotokite went over the problem in a very smart way, look it up, I find it very interesting.

@foreversin I concur with you on the great possibilities offered by I4.0 in the agricultural field (no pun intended). An early stage development of drones applications in this regard is in the hands of the GdF: during grape harvesting in my region drones sometimes fly over vineyards to look for possible illegal workforce, overcoming useless money waste in flying helicopters.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@filippogalli Thanks for the information, while looking that up I found that Fotokite actually works following the “Know Before You Fly Guidelines”. I’m not sure if that’s what you were referring to.

@foreversin Since you have a drone license, maybe you already knew about these? If not, I’ll leave here the link, it’s an interesting reading, even though (I think) it only applies to USA. Maybe there are similar regulations in Europe?

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

Yeah i already knew but i didn’t want to bother you with all the drone’s rule xD

Here in Europe we have EASA that gives all the guide lines to the governmental authorities. In Italy we have ENAC that two years ago made a rule book.

EASA :

https://www.easa.europa.eu/news-categories/drones

ENAC rules :

https://www.enac.gov.it/La_Normativa/Normativa_Enac/Regolamenti/Regolamenti_ad_hoc/info-122671512.html

And here the portal for the drone users:

https://www.d-flight.it

Regarding what we already said about delivery,you can’t do that in Italy because there’s a rule that prevent you to fly over houses and people and in addition it’s very hard to get the license to fly over cities. We still have strict rules At the moment.

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

I also didn’t know about it before… The thing I like the most is that they want to bring the universities inside this change… This will be (as someone said before – sorry but it took me too much time to read all the posts and it would take to long to look for names at this point 😂) a huge opportunity to try to keep the “minds” inside Italy, and also a huge opportunity to students to get in touch with the work market…

About people losing their work because of the machines, yesterday I was watching a video from TED about workforce crises and at a certain point talks exactly about this… Rainer Strack, German, talks about the workforce crises that is about to come in Germany and some places around the world, and he says that introducing machinery force into industries took away a part of man work, but created some other types of work. Today we have many areas of work that didn’t exist 2, 5, 10 years ago, and it will keep being like this… And because of that, there will be more and more need for specialized workforce for this new industry…

Here is the link if you want to see it…

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

I found the transcription maybe is useful for those Who can’t listen to it.

This part is everything we have already said during the last week :

“So people, high-skilled people,talents, will be the big thing in the next decade.If they are the scarce resource, we have to understand them much better.Are they actually willing to work abroad?What are their job preferences? “

Big Data of course.

@carlosfilho i still think that we will lose more jobs than we can create and the key point will be a Basic income.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.