Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 3 years, 6 months ago
  • Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@federicolandorno About that, I myself have a lot of doubts regarding a flexible job instead of a stable one, but that is probably the same concept about renting or buying a house. Many italians prefer the latter, but living on rent for the last two years made me realise how advantageous can be to rent a house. I won’t dwell on this, but the point is that I’d like to experience the study tour so to have a better understanding of what I feel like doing, what it is that I want. You, @federicolandorno, said that your work experience made you realise that, so I hope it will be the same for me thanks (but not only with) this tour.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@federicolandorno I think that your colleagues were (and are) influenced by a certain type of mentality (our italian mentality of course, but I think this is a more general European mentality…but I could be wrong) that identifies a stable job as the objective to achieve to have a good quality of live. At the end, it’s all about experiences…maybe if they had attended some kind of tour like this one, they’d change their mindset and then they’d let their job after the constant pressures. Who knows

@leonardo I was talking to my friend about stable job vs flexible one and we came up with the same example (the house one) …I think that you have to live in first person all of these situations to have a better understanding about those.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Fabio Ceresa.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Fabio Ceresa.
    Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@fabioceresa I agree with you, and at first I was pretty scared of living in another city renting a house, but after I experienced it and I grew accostumed to it, I came to realise how important it has been this change in my life. So I think experience is what everyone needs, especially a country like Italy that for years has refused change but now, thanks to new generations, is trying to head to a different and better direction

Alex
    Participant
    @alexandrumocanu

Hi there,

I just registered on the forum and read all your comments. I’d like to answer to some of your questions and say my opinions about the Big Data.

I first heard about Big Data from my high school teacher almost 4 years ago. She told me that I should focus on this argument because it will be a central topic of the future of our society, but I just passed over and didn’t think about it. Now I realized she was right. The informations, and consecuences uses, of Big Data analysis is huge and could really improve our lifes. Of course, there could be cons like the influence on people choices, but this things already happened in our lifes and always will. There are a lot of studies about persuasion people and their choices using the right words, the right moves of the body, voice tone, etc. But people can defend themselves from this “tricks” of persuasion and so they could “defend” themselves from the “internet persuasion” (of course, there are different types of people and most are easily convincible).

@carlosfilho asked what could be the uses of Big Data. I think we should go further and don’t focus only on the monitoring people aspect.
    Some of the uses that came to my mind are:

– Medicine: from the huge ammount of data we can improve our knowledge. Kenneth Cukier’s example is reserchers asked the computer to identify, by looking at the data (from biopsis), whether cells are actually cancerous or not. The computer was able to identify 12 signs that this biopsy of the breast cancer cells are indeed cancerous. The problem was that the medical literature only knewed 9 of them.

– Security: Using our phones sensors and the data collected from them, the phone could recognize if the person who is using it is the actual owner or not (this could be done by analizing how he is holding the phone, the position of the phone when he writes messages, or the speed of typing). Another use may be applied in car safety to prevent stealing by installing sensors in the seats that recognize if the drive is authorized to drive the car or not.

– Public transport: This one is involving us directly. GTT announced few weeks ago that all the passengers should “BIP”  their tickets (even season one) everytime they get on the busses, even if they change the bus multiple times. That’s the perfect example of data collection, they will (hopefully) analize them and increase the efficiency of the busses and public transport based on how many people are using that specific route.

Personalizing student’s path, as many of you said, could be an awesome idea, but this could limit the possibility of finding new interests, as @carlosfilho said already. But it could be more usefull when the student want to go to University, when they already grew up and consolidate their interests.

Some other of you said that analizing someone’s personality could take to a wrong result because of the human factor, the fake profiles on internet, etc. and it’s partially right, but I think it could be archievable in near future. Using a fake account is usefull to protect the informations you want to tell about yourself, but doesn’t protect you from being analized based on your internet navigation, geolocation, your moves (using fit sensors and wearable devices).

Sorry for my huge comment, hope you won’t get bored.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Alex.
    Lorenzo Bersano
    Participant
    @lorenzobersano

I wanna thank Andrea and Stefano for their speeches too, I found their stories really interesting, but what I felt the most was the great aura of positivity that they brought us. I’m pretty sick of hearing from media or even from people of our same age that the future is dark and that a stable job is the only thing that counts, so it’s really inspiring to see people that are motivated and motivate others to change always, even if you need a stable situation to rent/buy a new house or to mantain your family. Like they said today, change is always possible if you demonstrate to the market that you are valuable and that the market needs you.

Besides that, like @alexandrumocanu said, it’s good to see that GTT is using this kind of data collecting to invest better money and resources, and I thought that another possibility that GTT has to collect data is to track how many people look for the timetable of a certain stop using SMS, Telegram Bots or the official GTT app and when they look for that. Obviously this data would be crossed with the data collected with the “BIP”s, since not everyone, like older people, use these apps or chatbots.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@leonardo You are right, I think the purpose of this event is to bring this type of mentality in country like ours. So we’ll have a more conscious and different view of employment. So maybe we’ll be able to avoid stressful work situations like the ones described by @federicolandorno some posts ago.

Mohamed Lemzouri
    Participant
    @mohamedlemzouri

Hi Guys!
    my name is Mohamed and like most of you I’m a student of UNITO. Thanks to Andrea and Stefano’s testimony i have decide to be part of this project. Is interesting to read what you have written about Big Data though i don’t share the most of its. Like Developers/Computer scintist we have to think how the implementations of Big Data can semplify and improve our life and not how it can limit our rights. It will be up to user if is necessary avoid the use of them.
    Altough it might be interesting to know if people could renounce part of their privacy in order to reach some of this goals.
    Changing subject, i have found stimulating what Andrea and Stefano have told about their mentality. Who wouldn’t change periodically his work? Everyone could find boring making the same work every day. Personally i would like work on different projects improving myself but not all person are willing to get involved.

Andrea Malgaroli
    Participant
    @andreamalgaroli

Hi everybody, i’m Andrea and i took part in this debate during the first week, but then for personal problems i couldn’t write for a few days. Now i’m back and happy to join you again!

I saw that you’ve talked about the Industry 4.0, a theme that really fascinate me, and in which i’m very interested. We are witnessing a great evolution of the industrial process, a significant change based on the interaction of phisical industrial production and digital smart technologies. Using innovative technologies such as additive manufacturing, virtual reality, simulation and big data analytics (just to quote some of them), this new concept of industry will bring massive benefits to production, making it faster, smarter, increasing productivity, reducing errors, and improving quality. Of course, along with this evolution, there will be a growing importance of continuous learning, training and education of the workforce.

Every change rises doubts and questions, in this case there are some “ethical” questions that have been made, like : “is the human work (in industry) going to be replaced by complete automation?”. I personally believe that in the future it is going to happen, due to the constant evolution of technologies and innovations, but i also think that it won’t necessarily be a negative thing. Indeed, i think that human work in the industry will be resized, but not eliminated, and that the idea of human labour will change.

I’d like to know what do you guys think about it.

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

@andreamalgaroli if you go back to page 5 Carlos posted a video about that, you might find some answers 🙂

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

I think I come from a complete different environment as I am not Italian 😁

The Brazilian mentality is very different, probably because we come from a very big country… Traveling from a city to another can take hours… I think I can say we have mobility in our blood… But about working in the same place for years, there are the two ways of thinking… The ones that look for a secure job that will “last forever” and the ones that work until they are satisfied, and than look for change… I think I’m on the second group… You need to travel, to change, to keep motivated…

I think the most important thing we heard today is that we need to keep learning… And I find it’s very difficult to improve and keep yourself motivated if you do the same think every day for several years… Being “mobile minded” keeps your mind active, and we need to be actively looking for new things and paying attention to our environment… Nowadays we can’t say a contract can keep our job safe…We can lose our job at any time, and that’s why I think being able to be mobile from the start is having a huge step ahead…

About being aware of changing, there’s a small book that I would like to recommend you all… It’s called who moved my cheese, by Spencer Johnson (“Chi ha spostato il mio formaggio”)… It costs only 12€ from Amazon, but it has great advices on ” how to deal with changing in your work and in your life”… I think is a good reading for everyone…

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@mohamedlemzouri I agree with you that as developers we need to think about how big data can improve and simplify our lives, but I also think is our responsibility to look ahead and evaluate all of the effects of our researches…

I mean, if I’m a scientist, and as a developer I create a code that can hack any kind of computer in the world (yes, I’m starting with my stupid examples again 😁), than I release it online for free… If someone uses that code to hack into the semaphores system of a city and starts playing with it just for fun, there would be life’s at risk, and the responsibility would be not only of the person using my code, but also mine, because that’s my creation and I was the one “stupid enough” to put a dangerous thing like that online so anyone could use it…

What I mean is that we always need to remember that as scientists, its true that for everything we create, we need to pay attention to what improvement our researches will bring, but we can’t stop there. We also need to know that there can be a bad use of our work, and at least think of some ways to prevent it…

Carlos
    Participant
    @carlosfilho

@alexandrumocanu, i agree with almost everything you said… I didn’t know about that use of big data in medicine, and actually that’s why i asked before “what can be other uses of big data”… That one actually is a pretty good one…

Instead, i dont agree with the way GTT is trying to use it… Actually i think they are applying it pretty badly… The idea theyu are “Selling” is that you should “bip” everytime you get on a bus to let them know how important that bus line is and how many people uses it. But as it often occurs, there are buses that are so full of people that no one that gets in will bip… so an overcrowded bus will result “empty”, and so there’s the risk that the number of buses in critical times of traffic wil decrease… To know “How important a bus line is”, they could just gather information between the drivers that know exactely the problems they face with overcrowded buses…

The rest of GTT’s “motivations” are just useless as this one… I think this is a pretty bad use of big data… Here is a short arcticle about what gtt wants to do (in italian):

http://torino.repubblica.it/cronaca/2017/02/04/news/_fai_bip_e_salva_la_tua_linea_da_lunedi_su_tram_o_bus_sara_obbligatorio_il_bip_anche_per_gli_abbonati-157561070/

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@carlosfihlo well, about a stable job, it doesn’t come only with disadvantages, since there are laws that keep companies to fire a worker just because they feel like it. This and the possibility to get ahead in your company. Still, you’re right when you say that the stable job doesn’t come without risks of dismissal.

Having a flexible mentality can greatly help, and probably for us computer scientists it’s a better one.

@andreamalgaroli I agree with you regarding the possible job loss consequential to Industry 4.0, and as I discussed previously, every industrial revolution brought deep changes, but they are impossible to avoid, since society itself will evolve. For better or worse, that can’t be known.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@carlosfilho sorry, wrote your name wrong ahah. Writing from mobile is a little difficult for me.

Riccardo Ferrero Regis
    Participant
    @foreversin

@carlosfilho Let’s say it is half bad. For me the main problem is the italian mentality. “I already paid for that why should i bip all the time i get on the bus?”. This kind of control is already active in a lot of foreign cities and even if we have a “worst” version of it, it seems to work out very well. We could get rid of inspectors if we had the validate machine At the front door only.

I’m leaving two articles i found about job hopping and why its the future:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3039126/why-job-hopping-is-losing-its-negative-stigma

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/may/25/workandcareers.worklifebalance

The big difference for me is this:“If I don’t like what I’m doing; if I’m not being paid well for my skill set; if I’m not in a job that’s utilizing my training and education, why would I stay?”

The problem here in Italy is the mentality, as a lot of people already said, and maybe also our economic condition is slowing it down.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.