Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – 20-26 August 2017 Torino Silicon Valley 2017

221 replies, 26 voices Last updated by Marta Pancaldi 3 years, 4 months ago
  • Gabriel Gatu
    Participant
    @gabrielgatu

@pistillostefano You’re right, I remember the discussions about fb being a bubble (and still now we really don’t know If it isn’t) but there is a foundamental difference between Facebook and Snapchat: fb is an entire infrastructure with multiple services, and the website itself is not just a social network, but an entire platform – if we think about it, it’s more like a 3.0 os for the majority of people. Sapchat, instead, is a mobile photo app which adds nice effects to your photos (I don’t want to diminish the company, but it hasn’t the complexity of other billion startups), and it started integrating commercial features, yet their impact is still small compared to the current value of the company.

@filippogalli – I think that we are in a period where big investors invests their money more on a long-term possible future of a company, rather than the current state and short-term period. From my point of view, we are in a transition period (not only technologically, but also mentally), and when it will be over, start-ups like Uber, which kept controlling the transportation sector losing money, will be the leader, and all the money lost will repay itself, hopefully. So, in conclusion, I think that this startups are not really selling a product to investors, but a hope, a hope of future market domination.

And you guys, what do you think about it?

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@gabrielgatu “hopefully” is the right word, since it’s not easy to determine what could happen in the event of a great company loss of money. As I said before, banks are the oldest example of a company selling what it doesn’t have, and it’s failure could never repay those which had a bank account. I know it’s a different topic, but it touches similar aspects.

Of course, I agree with your statement about a transition period. This is a period of great changes in almost all sectors, from industry to communications to medical field.

Federico Landorno
    Participant
    @federicolandorno

@gabrielgatu Like you said is a very touchy topic and I don’t think I can give an answer to the height since I am not very knowledgeable but I’m glad to read other people’s opinions so that I can get an idea about it.

@pistillostefano The article is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I think that giving priority more to a enthusiast than to a person trained in the field is an innovative and efficient approach, but only for tasks that don’t require skills already. For example, a passionate developer will definitely be better than someone who does it listlessly, however there are jobs that require experience as the programmer analyst. It all depends on how long the company is willing to invest in new resources.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@federicolandorno I totally agree with you. The idea of using a passionate worker is important, but he needs to be flanked by an expert in the field. Knowledge and experience combined with passion are what can really make a company (or even only a single person) shine above the others. You were able to express my exact idea, thanks and well done!

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

Hello guys!!

I’ve seen a lot of interesting arguments in this forum, you’ve talked a lot about companies and their economical value, but I haven’t seen yet someone talking about helping people; sorry if I didn’t notice the topic.

The following link explains how the internet can affect negatively our short memory making the process of doing any activity interrupted by short actions like checking our FB, sport news, fluffy cats and the list goes on…
    I think that something like Snapchat obtained a value so great because it produces something that can get us easily addicted and distracted from everyday tasks.

Nowadays we have the proof that the objects that we use in our life are seen by our brain as an extension of our selves, by that we can state that as a proper use our body can made us great athletes it can also makes us great users of these extentions.
    I’m curios about the fact on how we could improve ourselves if we could manage to learn how to use powerful tools like smartphones as a source of valid information for our self-development.

http://www.livescience.com/9664-brain-sees-tools-extensions-body.html

Concerning that i think that the social networks are super useful to show us the world and the stuff that happens on him so that we can get inspired from everyday people and naturally keep our relationships active.

Personally, regarding this topic, I have to admit that I’ve procrastined a lot during my adolescence and only in the last year I’ve learned the value of get something done and feel satisfied about it.

I am 100% sure that with the knowledge that we can gain with big data we can help a lot of people to discover themselves.

So I ask you a question, what do you think about introducing some courses to educate children – and not only – for a proper use of these enormous technological resources?

Alessandro Fiaschi
    Participant
    @alefiaschi1

Hi everyone!

I’m Alessandro and I want to apologize for join here only now. Last week I wrote a comment but, reading it at the end I realized that my english is not perfect at all, so I deleted it. Yesterday Paolo Marenco convinced me to not worry about that, so I hope I will not make a bad impression :’).

Alessandro Fiaschi
    Participant
    @alefiaschi1

I realized just now that big data could be so powerful to serve to influence also the American elections. The use of big data is certainly an argument with two faces: their usefulness can not be questioned, the ethical aspect is an inevitable speech but I think it’s just our responsibility to decide how to lean out to the web knowing that all we do / write / to which we give a feedback online is tracked. This is because we can not expect companies that earn a lot of money thanks to the big data they stop in front of an ethical issue. Simply they don’t care!

I think one of the most interesting topics is the difference between knowledge and desire to learn. We live in a world where technological progress is palpable every day, so it is obvious that those who are satisfied only by knowledge without “upgrade” is doomed to fail. Continue to learn new things must be our task, and we have to play with all the passion we have. I am convinced that now it is much more important that a candidate for a job is able to convey his passion and his desire to learn things he does not know, rather than show off notions without having the desire to really get involved.

I am convinced that this is the beginning of a period in which it will be essential to have the so-called “Smart intelligence”. About this topic, I recommend the book”Codice Montemagno” by Marco Montemagno.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@nemanja Answering you question, I not only believe it is essential to learn from younger ages to use these new and powerful tools, but the most important part should be teaching about the dangers of such tools and make younger people realize how they can present both pros and cons. I will see the video after today’s lessons, but I can agree that internet is not only bringing positive elements in our lives. Still, it represent a useful and now necessary tool.

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

@leonardo the video took inspiration from The Shallows a book written by Nicholas Carr, which ended up immediatly in the list of the books that i want to read, I’ve also added the one suggested by  @carlosfilho

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@nemanja I am in favor of introducing some courses to educate younger people, because they are the key to change a country’s mentality. The more aware they will be , the more all of us will benefit from it in the long term. But we also  have to work to help those who doesn’t have a proper knowledge of those tools, because this could help all of us in the short term.

Nemanja Majstorovic
    Participant
    @nemanja

For sure @fabioceresa I totally agree with you 🙂

Also it would be a dream to make technology more accessible to poor people like Manu Prakash is doing with his Foldscope a paper microscope that costs 1 dollar!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/276738145/foldscope-the-origami-paper-microscope

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@nemanja Wow, that’s a really cool project. I mean, I’m not sure about how powerful could be this microscope, but the idea of making this kind of “technology” accessible to everyone is pretty interesting.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@nemanja I think that these kind of purposes will be the future, especially in developing countries. Other than that cheap microscope you quote, I remember that in India some time ago was presented a very cheap smartphone that cost only 3$ or something like that.

Leonardo Falcioni
    Participant
    @leonardo

@fabioceresa I’m not so sure it represents the future. I mean, it will surely be an important mean to make poorer people able to experience new technologies and to even the society’s technological discrepancies. Still there will always be (at least I think so) realities where technology is priority of the wealthiest.

Fabio Ceresa
    Participant
    @fabioceresa

@leonardo Without doubt a certain kind of technology (expensive and pioneering), for now, will be priority of the wealthiest… But I think we were talking about very cheap technologies, that everyone could use and buy…Even the very poor ones

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 222 total)
  • The topic ‘Torino Silicon Valley 2017’ is closed to new replies.