Home Forums Silicon Valley Study Tour – August 2020 UniPV Silicon Valley 2020

181 replies, 41 voices Last updated by Paolo Marenco 3 years, 6 months ago
  • Enrico
    @botten

Hi guys,

thanks to ismaelepaoli for the topic and to those who join the discussion.

Your twofold question requires an observation of the present and a forecast for the future.

Speaking of the current situation, in which we find ourselves having to take online distance courses, I strongly believe that it is the best possible solution for this emergency. The online lessons allow an interaction with the professor and therefore the possibility of intervention in case of need. Having said that, the possibility of dialogue with classmates and the instinct with which we asked questions or sought clarifications are considerably reduced,  and in my opinion this is due to both the technical times and the reduced concentration due to the environment in which we find to follow the lesson.

This brings me to reason about a possible future increase in the use of online technologies for both school and work.

From my point of view the school can improve student support through technology and it is something that is already happening at different levels, but technology can in no way replace the human confrontation, obtainable only by direct participation.

For what concern smart working, I believe that this  can be an adoptable tool too, but as a support and not as a substitute, for the same reason I said before concerning school. Even if the issue of the environment, posed by some of you, must certainly be considered but in a larger perspective of society which concerns a general change in lifestyle.

In conclusion I would say that after this emergency we can discover a new useful tool, which can support people in their employment in the future, but at the same time we must be good at managing it and not abusing it.

Wish u good a week

GUGLIELMO
    @clvgll98m31f205q

Good morning everybody,

Thanks to Ismaele for the topic and launching a stimulating debate.

Personally, I think that this emergency situation generated by the spread of coronavirus all around the world, might be seen as a phase of transition to a new era: a real digital one. Students like us and workers have been experimenting new ways of learning and working thanks to technology and for that everybody of us has been enlarging their horizon of technological knowledge and skills ( for example, I found out the website ‘meet’ thanks to distance learning).

This emergency has made clear the digital architecture which outlines the social configuration of XXI century. Digital fields and practices have been enhanced, by widening their institutional and administrative  range and use. Smart working is surely a reolutionary key factor in the working context. The contingency of the recent events has forced companies and administrative organizations to extend the possibility of smart-working to more and more employees, by accelerating the fine-tuning of digital platforms which enable a productive way of working from home. The other revolutionary key factor is distance learning. The prolonged interruption of lectures in schools and universities has made clear the need of resorting to digital practices, that maybe many of them were already available but we weren’t aware of .For example, the first public university to make availabe free online lectures was ‘Federica Web Learning’ created by Federico II University of Naples, more than ten years ago. All the world of education has been dealing with distance learning which requires a new ‘ modus operandi’ for teachers and the enactment of what they learnt during the training courses for getting schools and universities more and more digital. The slogan ‘ School doesn’t stop’ was  very appropriate for this time.

At the end of this pandemic, our habits and lifestyle won’t be the same as before, because the configuration of the entire society will have to be reshaped. For this reason, I think that the labour market will be completely redisigned and some sad reflections have to be taken into account. If there will always be the need of employing doctors, nurses, cookers and supermarket cashiers, as it has been recently proved, we have to admit that things might change for white-collar employees. If work employers realize that the work and  production of companies has continued, in spite of less than half of available resources and employers, there will be a digital reshaping of working conditions that might lead to a loss of workplaces and an increasing numbers of unemployed. That’s why, I retain that this situation is really precarious the future of humanity, because we don’t know if everything will change in better or in worse, but certainly it will change.

What do you think?

Guglielmo Calvi

Jacopo
    @jacopotirintilli

Goodmorning everyone!

This is one of those themes where you want to tell a lot of things but you struggle to express yourself, so I’ll try to explain my view.

Besides being uncomfortable, this situation is giving us many opportunities of thinking in a different perspective and this is a positive aspect because it allows development of ideas that perhaps would never have occurred to us and also it highlights the mistakes we were making but we did’t see. Maybe our society was bad organized util now and didn’t have applied technology 100% but in these weeks we are seeing technology unveiling its maximum power. We have discovered that many works could be done at home and that many applications which have existed for a long time now have another value as the use of web chat, drones, geolocation and others.

I agree with @giorgiaamatemaggio and others who talked about the fact that smart working should be seriously considered even after the quarantine is over, because actually it doesn’t seem so necessary to work in the office for many professions, for example it makes no difference to my father working at home, while for my mother is a little bit more different because she is a secretary but anyway she manages to work thanks to call forwarding from the office to her mobile phone and using the computer of the office. As a consequence, the application of smart working could help to face environment disease, even if in Italy there is a clear connection problem, the famous fiber that all companies sponsor on TV is present only in few big cities and even the villages nearby (as mine) don’t have it, so first of all we should solve this problem.

I this period we also heard about many extraordinary initiatives, which were born on the internet, in order to help people in hospitals with funds and entertaining people in quarantine at homes with concerts, free access to contents on internet, TV programs and free social marketing lessons as Luca La Mesa has done. So this disease has created much more humanity which perhaps had been a little lost.

Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see which of the current applications of technology will remain after this period of quarantine e which one will return as before.

I love quotes in general and I want to say you goodbye with a quotes today: “The Internet offers immense possibilities for encounter and solidarity. This is something truly good, a gift from God.” – Pope Francis –

See you soon at the conference

Jacopo

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Jacopo.
    Serena
    @serenagabbetta

Hi!

My name is Serena and I’m currently on my first year of a master in CoD (digital communication). I majored in human sciences for communication at the University of Milan. Having said that, I live in a small town in Oltrepò. I’ve worked for three years for ENPA to take care of rascued cats and dogs, and I like to conduct personal research on a wide range of topics, such as sociology, psychology and mass cultural phenomena. I have also been attending a theatre school for three years to know myself better.

I would like to take part in the Silicon Valley Tour to explore many topics that interest me a lot, to see the United States for the first time and, why not, to improve my English!

Silvia
    @silvialanfredi

Hello everybody!

I’m Silvia, I’m 22 years old and I’m from Cremona. I graduated in Communication Innovation and Multimediality (CIM) in December and from October I’m attending the first year of the master in Digital Communication (CoD). I’m sorry for introducing myself just now, but as @marta-spacca said before “the last but not least”. I’m not quite a genius in technology and informatics, but I like this innovations that help our everyday life. My brother is the real informatic genius in the family, but sometimes I can help my parents too and even my brother. I love cartoons, anime and manga and luckily I have friends to talk about it. I also love the fashion world, in which I hope to work some day. From this year I’m also doing a speaker for the webradio of the University. I also love music and I can’t wait to go to a concert, even if some I had to go have been canceled due to the Covid-19.

I think this can be a good opportunity to better understand the working world, the world of adults. Said like this can be childish, but in the working world we are considered children, because we don’t have sufficient experience and we are relatively young. I’ve already been in America two years ago to participate to the NMUN project in New York. That has been an interesting experience; we had to work as professionist, like we were real delegates that were working to improve the situation of the world and their country. It was a fulfilling and rewarding experience.

An experience with technology that has been very interesting for me has been the project for an exam in the second year of CIM. I had to create a blog with the use of HTML and JavaScript, the things our professor teached us. I had never done such a thing and being able to do it was very satisfying. Another thing, more recent, was experiencing editing apps to edit the video we are making for the webradio channel. As I said, I’m not a genius in technology, so being able to edit some contents is very satisfying.

Talking about the online courses, due to the actual situation of quarantine, I agree with @niccolopuppo. Podcasts are better than live online lessons. Podcasts’ lessons are easy to follow and are explained very well. Online lessons are interesting, we can see our professor and follow the lesson directly, but as said the interaction is difficult; if we have questions to do we have to write them and this is not immediate, so the professor continues his lesson and the questions arrive late.

About school I can talk about the experience I’m having through my mum, she’s a teacher in one elementary school of our town. For her and her collegues it’s not easy; they don’t know how to do and my brother and I are helping her to put the exercise and change the pdf pages into word ones to permit to her students to complete the exercises. I think it’s a good idea to continue the school online, the problem is that not everyone (teachers and students) has the same tool to do that.

About other way of communication due to this emergency I discovered a week ago, thanks to my friends an app called “Houseparty” thanks to which we can chat and play games together. It’s funny and easy to use, but we can’t stay connected all, it has a number limit around 6 people, I think. Other useful apps are Skype or even the Whatsapp Calls. I used it mostly last year to talk with friends when one of us was doing her stage abroad.

Good evening,

Silvia

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Silvia.
    Martina
    Participant
    @martinamorabito

Hi Ismaele, hi guys
    I have read your comments, I agree with some of you.

I believe that having the opportunity to be able to take lessons online in this period is something fantastic. it’s fantastic that this is possible today.
    Obviously I miss being in the classroom, building a relationship with other students and with the teachers. this is something technology doesn’t give you.
    It’s true that in many cases technology unites, but I believe that it must unite in the circumstances in which it is really necessary, in times of emergency such as today, when the distance with each other is real.

I don’t think that working from home and follow the online lessons, alone in your room, is a positive technological turning point for the future. As @botten says, human confrontation is irreplaceable.

I also believe that going to the office or university and following a “normal” day will get us out of our comfort zone. Staying at home without having discussion with others will not make us more technological, but only more “robots”, more “machines”.

Finally, I would also like to live in a “greener” world, and I believe this is possible by using technology in a different way, for example by using only electric means of transport and trying to make a transition to renewable energy.

Have a nice evening!

Martina

Roberta
    @robertarabellotti

Hi everybody,

what do you think about today seminar? I have found  both presentations very interesting and the debate quite lively. As promised, I am attaching the slides of both of speakers.

Paola Bonomo

Isabella Falautano

Have a nice evening and see you next Tuesday.

Roberta Rabellotti

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Roberta.
    Elvira
    @elvira-dimascio

Hi guys!

How are you? I I’m doing well with smart learning, and I agree with many of you: I much prefer attending lectures at university, but learning at home isn’t a good reason for being less focused. I also think that live sessions on google meets are well-functioning to listen and interact with others, especially for those disciplines whose lectures need to have interactions between professor and students, like languages courses.  But obviously it will be great going back to University for real.

Smart working, as many of you said before, is a big resource which, also after this emergency period, could be involved more in working, to improve workers’ achievements. Maybe in few years it could take over of the one which we know, but most of us agree that is important to keep both of them, because human beings need to build real relationships with each other, we cannot give up on them, also in a digital era.

In my opinion, If innovation will enhance our everyday lifestyles, when this situation will be over, we must use it also in order to make our world a greener one. Like @giorgiaamateggio, I have noticed that, when many countries announced lockdowns, indices of emissions dropped, and I thought that it would have been a very small silver lining of this emergency. Then I read this and I changed my mind a little:

https://www.internazionale.it/opinione/gabriele-crescente/2020/03/19/coronavirus-clima

What do you think about it?

I wish you a good evening 🙂

Elvira

Sara
    @saretta

Hello everyone! And a big welcome to the new ones!

The article that @ismaelepaoli proposed us said that “technologies provide the opportunity to redesign and enhance learning experiences” and it’s completely true, they can be “a valuable ally” in this difficult and challenging situation.

Some of you have already explain the difference between different types of lessons we join, so I will not linger on it anymore, but I want to report an episode connected with this topic. The other day one of our professors took his first digital lesson with KIRO live, the platform made available by our university, and at the end of it, he had a disappointed face, not because there was nobody listening his lesson, but because, through this platform, he could only see our written answers to his questions and nothing more. He was sad because in all his career this was the first time he taught without see the facial expressions of his students. In short, he couldn’t immediately receive our feedbacks: if we were bored or if we were interested, if we had some doubts etc. and for a teacher this is the most important thing.

All this to say that we have to be very pleasured to have this kind of opportunity to communicate with each other, and which permit us to continue our everyday life and, in this case, also our education. But, despite that, there is no comparison to attend classes in real life. But hey..we are human beings! and as @niccolopuppo and  @botten pointed, we need interaction, it is an essential part of our relationship with the others, the discussion between people is something impactful if it is done looking the person in his yes and not with a screen in between.

This is the reason way I totally agree with @marcocanciani. Maybe it will be my low ability to concentrate if I study for a long period of time in the same place, and believe me, during this month I try every rooms of my house. Although, when I’m in classes is easier for me to follow the teacher, probably because I can’t divert my attention if he’s looking at me. Even though we have tried also some platforms where professors could see us and I’m taking about meet google. Unfortunately, many times if we are several attend the lessons, the professors asks us to switch off our webcam and microphone, to permit a better communication, so we are back at the same point: few interaction and no way to see the glance of the person we are speaking with, resulting in a monologue of the professor. This is the reason why I want to ask you:

Do you think e-learning will deprives us of the possibility to express our emotions while we interact with each other? 

In conclusion, I want to thank you @jacopotirintilli for the really nice quote he proposed to us, that I think is perfectly linked with “Zora Bots” the robotic company that @gabriellalocati was talking about, which gives a very precious contribute to the Belgium’s society. Unfortunately, here in Italy but also in other parts of the world, there are many elders which are all alone in their houses and they don’t have nobody to talk with. Just a few days ago, there was a case of an elderly woman from Bergamo, who doesn’t have any more her family and recently lost her friends, so to talk with someone, in this hard and sad period, she decided to call random numbers of the phone book. I know this episode is out of topic, but in our discussion, we always talk about new technologies like those mention, however, if traditional technologies, such as landline phone without internet access, can be considered an obsolete tool for our generation, for those who are in their seventies could be a very meaningful devices, especially in this kind of situation where real relationship are forbidden.

Wish you a Goodnight!

Gabriella
    @gabriellalocati

To answer to Ms. @robertarabellotti,

it was a pleasure to attend today’s conference! Ms. Bonomo and Ms. Falautano were extremely concise and straightforward. The thematic addressed was not one of the easiest to understand especially if the subject discussed was a new one; The conference was very substantive and concrete. Furthermore, I believe that the speakers were both clear and at the same time effective, providing evidence and data in order to aid us better understand the context of the given information.

In addition, I want to stress out how much I am particularly appreciating the line of work that the conferences are following; today we addressed and discussed a very serious issue affecting the society we are living in, which is to say “gender gap”. It is inspiring to be able to see other women thrive in many different sectors and be able to be represented in such a manner. I found a great source of interest in becoming acquainted with the Italian organization “Angels 4 women” distinguished by its female empowerment; Ms. Bonomo and Ms. Falautano are largely contributing to address what has actually been a long-overdue issue in our country. I was also surprised by how recently the organization was established and how much it has evolved in just a year.

As for the debate, I think, despite having to communicate through an application, we managed pretty well to try to stimulate a dialogue with the speaker and to provide her and each other with thought-provoking questions.

I wish everyone a nice evening!

Gabriella

Serena
    @serenagabbetta

Good evening everyone!

I found today’s seminar very interesting; compared to the last lesson, the audio was perfect so I was able not to miss anything. I’m very interested in gender, diversity and integration issues, and after this afternoon, I can say that I know more. Even all the quensions were focused and interesting.

I also took notes on how a company  manages its budget and how it responds to the various problems that arise every day.

Going back to the posts of some of my colleagues, I think that quarantine is very hard to face, but it can also be a good opportunity to learn how to manage and organize ourselves and our routine at our best and to use some tools, such as videoconferences, that we will surely have the chance to use once we start working.

Good night, see you next seminar!

Fabiana
    @fabianadurso

Hello everybody!

As the article says, in this period of humanitarian and economic crisis, digital learning technology plays a big part in our country. In fact, it is a key element for the future of our economy because it get us a chance to continue working, which means having the possibility to move on with our lives without fear of worst consequences.

We cannot afford to stop the economy of the country because it is the driving force for the entire Italian system. It is necessary to provide the necessary technical support to work remotely.

For my own part, my student life is going very well. I feel very comfortable attending classes at home because I can take my time and being sure to perfectly understand. Even more, lectures are shorter and in my opinion, professors are more clear and specific. Also, this approach gives the possibility to working students and non-attending students, to have an explanation from the professor if they want because classes are audio-recorded.

I think that digital learning is an advantage for students but I believe, however, that it should not be a replacement for traditional face to face lectures, rather, it should be a support for them. I, therefore, hope that the university will continue using these methods.

I expect that our society can benefit from this situation in order to improve the use of technology and to be prepared for anything.

What do you think?

Elvira
    @elvira-dimascio

Good morning Ms @robertarabellotti, good morning everyone!

It was a big pleasure listening to succesful women like Ms Bonomo and Ms Falautano. I was really impressed about the world of business angels, and thanks to yesterday’s conference, I’m searching for more information about it. In particular, I was impressed by numbers of italian women who have committed in innovative start-ups. I understood that Angels For Women is working to support women who want to enter in the business world. Listening about it is very supportive, not only for women like me, but for all of us: we have to recognize that struggles for women (and minorities in general) to have a fulfilling life in business, or in any succesful working field, is a common problem to all. And, in my opinion, our generation can no longer afford to these gender discriminations. For this reason, we have to be proud of societes like Angels For Women, that are leaving a mark in our country.

I’m looking forward to participate to the next seminar!

Elvira

Enrico
    @botten

Hi guys,

Answering to Ms.@robertarabellotti post,I’d say that I found yesterday’s meeting absolutely positive and interesting. Although it was a topic not particularly known to me, I found both interventions extremely concise and clear.

The world of startups is not widely known in Italy, almost a little stigmatized and not totally understood. I have the feeling that often in Italy the novelty must always go through extremely longer acceptance processes than elsewhere and this often involves the need to chase afterwards.

Although this world and these players are not well known, the investors who finance these startups and who invest in projects are even less known. For this reason it was very interesting to listen to Dr. Paola Bonomi giving us a vision also of those who actively support this sector. I had clarifications on the processes that lead the so-called “Business Angels” to invest in new startups and on the phases following the investment that lead to the goal of “exit” in a few years.

Furthermore,, was also discussed the question posed by Dr. Isabella Falautano regarding the unequal treatment and investment towards the startups led by women, compared to those led by men.
    This discrimination led to the creation of “Angels 4 Women”, an association made up of Business Angel women who want to invest in female startups with high growth potential.

My hope is that there will be a situation in which there is no need to add gender to characterize a company or anything else. Gender should not be an element of evaluation, but the truth is that for the simple fact that we are talking about it the problem exists.

Have a nice day, see you next week!

Enrico

Jacopo
    @jacopotirintilli

Good afternoon everybody,

Yesterday I  was pleasantly impressed by the interesting seminar of Dr. Paola Bonomi and Dr. Isabella Falautano who explained clearly the theme of startups, which I did’t know so well. I thought that the world of startups almost didn’t exist here in Italy, furthermore Dr. Paola Bonomi explained us that the difference between startups in Italy and abroad in particular in the approach of investors: the former tend to keep and bequeath the company, the latter constantly try to reinvest themselves.

Especially I found the initiative of “Business Angels” incredibly fascinating. I appreciate their aims of reducing the gender gap investing in small companies managed by women or with a respectable number of women working there, because this gap is senseless and what @botten has said “Gender should not be an element of evaluation, but the truth is that for the simple fact that we are talking about it the problem exists” it’s so true, and I hope things will change as soon as possible.

I want to thank @robertarabellotti whoever planned this seminar, which treated about these issues more deeply also answering mine and other questions.

Have a nice evening and see you next Tuesday

Jacopo

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘UniPV Silicon Valley 2020’ is closed to new replies.